1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

'better performers' 😄..our porous midfield was terrible in those months and he was front and centre in it, the nadir being Plymouth away and Blackburn home

Maybe his stint in defence has made him more defensively tactically aware.

Should also be noted that we are 20 pts off the top 3, so our midfield of today is clearly not as good as it was in this league 3 and 5 seasons ago?

Sargent being fit all season would have now had us a gyaranteed playoff place however I'm not sure that alone wouldve made up that shortfall

Only if you take probably the most simplistic view in the world, that the rest of the league and their players are also identical to 3 and 5 seasons ago.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Only if you take probably the most simplistic view in the world, that the rest of the league and their players are also identical to 3 and 5 seasons ago.

...therefore, what was good enough 3/5 seasons ago, no longer is

23 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Better that Max Aarons.

Oooh, gonna get flacky for this spicy opinion..

Max could be great when attacking, but defensively he got outmuscled far too often. Basically he just wasn't big enough.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...therefore, what was good enough 3/5 seasons ago, no longer is

Good job a lot of those players have changed, our current captain however is a mainstay whilst we sit in the playoffs - I.e the opposite of what you claimed a few months back.

Oh, and everyone else has caught on now too and hes going to win POTS.

Edited by hogesar

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Good job a lot of those players have changed, our current captain however is a mainstay whilst we sit in the playoffs - I.e the opposite of what you claimed a few months back.

Oh, and everyone else has caught on now too and hes going to win POTS.

A mainstay of a team that has fallen from winning this league twice to clinging onto the last playoff place because that department on the field wasnt sufficiently improved?

Maybe it was the fact we had the best defensive midfielder in the league in Skipp that helped us to 97 pts last time....and now with him gone with the 'mainstay' still here ,we're now 20 pts off the pace

File it in the draw marked 'Lee Croft and Spencer Prior'

I'd like my POTS to have not been blo0dy awful for about a third of the season

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yes me too. That’s why I voted for Kenny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A mainstay of a team that has fallen from winning this league twice to clinging onto the last playoff place because that department on the field wasnt sufficiently improved?

Maybe it was the fact we had the best defensive midfielder in the league in Skipp that helped us to 97 pts last time....and now with him gone with the 'mainstay' still here ,we're now 20 pts off the pace

File it in the draw marked 'Lee Croft and Spencer Prior'

That doesn't stop you from voting for Kenny. Putting him alongside Lee Croft is just farcical.

Obviously Oliver Skipp was, and is, a better player than Kenny McLean and was a huge part of our brilliance and dominance that season. But putting McLean alongside Lee Croft as a potential POTS winner speaks for itself in terms of your one-eyed, one-man crusade against one of our most consistent, loyal and versatile players of recent years. I know you're too far gone to ever change your views about him, no matter how well he plays or how many people disagree with you about his efficacy.

I absolutely cannot wait to see him lift the Barry Butler, it will be richly deserved.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Some selective memory going on here from Sept to early December

Our beacon of objectivity has spoken, guys...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That doesn't stop you from voting for Kenny. Putting him alongside Lee Croft is just farcical.

Obviously Oliver Skipp was, and is, a better player than Kenny McLean and was a huge part of our brilliance and dominance that season. But putting McLean alongside Lee Croft as a potential POTS winner speaks for itself in terms of your one-eyed, one-man crusade against one of our most consistent, loyal and versatile players of recent years. I know you're too far gone to ever change your views about him, no matter how well he plays or how many people disagree with you about his efficacy.

I absolutely cannot wait to see him lift the Barry Butler, it will be richly deserved.

'That doesnt stop you for voting for him'

No?

Well if you are in agreement that he was therefore awful for about a third of the season, is this a vote of sentiment?

...because if we're ignoring that period of the season and looking at our upturn from December onwards, there is Sargent , 13 goals, Jonny Rowe, 12 goals in his full debut season, Sara 10 goals, 10 assists, Gunn, best keeper in the league, sorely missed when out injured, all performed as well and better since that point

...or as I stated earlier in this thread, a player who has performed consistently well over the entire season, Jack Stacey

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No?

Well if you are in agreement that he was therefore awful for about a third of the season, is this a vote of sentiment?

...because if we're ignoring that period of the season and looking at our upturn from December onwards, there is Sargent , 13 goals, Jonny Rowe, 12 goals in his full debut season, Sara 10 goals, 10 assists, Gunn, best keeper in the league, sorely missed when out injured, all performed as well and better since that point

...or as I stated earlier in this thread, a player who has performed consistently well over the entire season, Jack Stacey

It doesn't stop you voting for him, because he hasn't been bloody awful for about a third of the season.

If Sarge had been fit all season he'd almost certainly have won it, no denying that. Sara and Stacey would make up my top three.

As has been said elsewhere, he was one of our more consistent performers during our very poor spell in the autumn; he wasn't playing well, admittedly, but the entire team seemed to lack any cohesion or confidence. Kenny dragged us through that spell, and out the other side of it, despite being drafted into unfamiliar positions as a DM, a left-back and a centre-back over the course of the season.

Wagner deserves a heap of credit for turning the season around from 'dead man walking' status after that horrendous defeat at home to Blackburn, and McLean has started every single game and been instrumental to that turnaround. Class player, class character.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Yes me too. That’s why I voted for Kenny

You voted for Kenny? Sargent gets a hatrick Saturday in a 3, 2 win and you have already voted, a bit rushed I think. 

7 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

You voted for Kenny? Sargent gets a hatrick Saturday in a 3, 2 win and you have already voted, a bit rushed I think. 

One match does not a POTS make.

I agree the vote has been opened too early though, and for only two weeks. Last season I only found out on the last day!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

I agree the vote has been opened too early though, and for only two weeks. Last season I only found out on the last day!

It seem too early...and for what?

How long does it take to count votes?

The full story of this season wont have been written by mid April

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It seem seem too early...and for what?

How long does it take to count votes?

The full story of this season wont have been written by mid April

Does seem very weird, especially in the age of digital voting.

Bit harsh to mention Spencer Prior in the same breath as Lee Croft.

12 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No?

Jack Stacey had an awful run of form too, where people were wanting Fisher to play more. Again. The stats back that up, where statistically the only players with a better average rating than Kenny are Sara and Sargent.

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I accept the Skipp comment but he wasn't the fantastic defensive midfielder that saved us that was made out to be. Agree he was a very talented young player.

We actually conceded more high-quality chances that season than the previous title season if I remember correctly- the difference was Krul had a season that is l, again I believe to be the case, still record breaking in terms of chances saved.

On 31/03/2024 at 07:54, Hairy Canary said:

A hatrick against Ipswich,  should always seal it.