Posted (edited)

Sargent is a class act and only 23 years old. A 23 yr old striker with his goals per minute ratio for a championship side should be north of £30 million.

Watkins went for £34 million, and last season Gyokeres left Cov for £26 million. We’re dealing in and around those figures if Sarge leaves.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Sargent is a class act and only 23 years old. A 23 yr old striker with his goals per minute ratio for a championship side should be north of £30 million.

Watkins went for £34 million, and last season Gyokeres left Cov for £26 million. We’re dealing in and around those figures if Sarge leaves.

Got to do it consistently over a season though. Adam Armstrong went for £15m after 19 and 28 goals and his PL record suggests that wasn’t great value. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, aBee said:

Got to do it consistently over a season though. Adam Armstrong went for £15m after 19 and 28 goals and his PL record suggests that wasn’t great value. 

That will not stop clubs (including yourselves possibly) looking to put in a bid on a striker who looks the real deal against everyone he comes up against. Unfortunately.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aBee said:

He is doing it consistently though. Yes he had an injury, but it doesn’t take a world class scout to realise how consistent Josh is, and what his goal tally would’ve been minus the injury. His goals per minutes are sensational. Last season he played up top only a handful of occasions because of Pukki, but scored in nearly all of them. He’s deadly, and has much more to his game than Armstrong, and potentially, dare I say it, Watkins. Our win rate when he plays up top is equally as sensational, showing how much he positively affects the team’s performance.

A complete centre forward. £35 million please.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 2

The thing about Josh is that not only does he score goals, he leads the charge from the front. Bizarrely he is probably the most effective defender in the team and he sets a tempo for everyone else. Not only does he score goals, he scores all sorts of goals. He is not reliant on one player to create for him in the same way as Pukki was. 

@littleyellowbirdiesaid earlier, he's good but not great. That's probably true but I'd still want £30m for him because he's exactly what you get for £30m at the moment. The Brentford fan has compared him to Armstrong. Sorry, but Josh is a way better player than that.

Having said that, if we agreed an exit clause for less than that when he signed his last contract we may have a problem. 

I was reminded today by a post on The Athletic looking at the form of current USMNT members that if we go all the way to the play-off final this season (scheduled 27 May), Josh is likely to then be playing in the Copa America tournament from June 20 to July 14. I assume Nunez will also be there, and whisper it, but also potentially Sara!

With Gunn, McLean and Hanley representing Scotland, Fassnacht for Switzerland, potentially van Hooijdonk The Netherlands and an outside bet for Sainz for Spain, all at the Euro's which covers a similar timeframe as well.

That is a probable 6, possible 9 players who whatever league we are in next season will get one weeks' break from football this summer (assuming international squad call ups from 5 June). It also puts them once again in a position to show off their talents on a wider stage.  

That's going to really test Knapper and whoever is our head coach for next season.

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I might be being a bit naive here, but I am not 100% convinced that Josh would immediately jump at the first chance of Premier League football or the extra bucks involved

I think the key thing for Josh is whatever gives him the best chance of playing in the 2026 World Cup in the USA - a once in a lifetime opportunity for him - and presumably he will know whether playing every week in the Championship or coming off the bench in the Premier League (assuming that turns out to be the choice) will do that.