Sign in to follow this  
Coneys Knee

The dream scenario

A few weeks ago I was dead set that the dream scenario for this season for us would be that Ipswich would blow the autos then we’d go up in the playoffs at their expense.

Unfortunately, you can’t choose what happens in football (other powers do that), but in case they’re listening, here’s what I’d like now please. Ipswich to take second, us to go up in the playoffs (cos that would really pi$$ on their parade, then, the really tricky bit - them to get relegated next season while they watch us stay up.

thank you. 

It’s not a bad one, you are correct that nobody really cares who gets second. It’s all about the winners and the playoff winners.

I just want Ipswich to lose in the biggest way possible. I think I’d like them to get 3rd then they bottle it immediately in the playoff semi. Then next season they fall off, no steam left.

6 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s not a bad one, you are correct that nobody really cares who gets second. It’s all about the winners and the playoff winners.

I just want Ipswich to lose in the biggest way possible. I think I’d like them to get 3rd then they bottle it immediately in the playoff semi. Then next season they fall off, no steam left.

I mean obviously I’d also take that, even if it meant us finishing 7th.

I don't want them to have any time in the top flight given the money it would bring them. Best scenario is that they fail to go up and the Premier League Hawkers take their best talent and manager and they begin another downward spiral as the crowds dwindle and their 1978 scarfs go back in the Ottoman...

39 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

I don't want them to have any time in the top flight given the money it would bring them. Best scenario is that they fail to go up and the Premier League Hawkers take their best talent and manager and they begin another downward spiral as the crowds dwindle and their 1978 scarfs go back in the Ottoman...

It doesn't really bring any money though, haven't you realised that? Same players, big bonus and higher wages,  they will not throw a hundred plus million at it so will come straight back down again. They are no different to us. 

Theres no 'dream' scenario that involves them being promoted

They havent kicked a ball in the premier league for 22 yrs and furthermore have only been in the top flight for 5 out of the last 38 seasons.

I'd rather like it to stay that way 

• Like 1

Surely the dreamiest scenario is us beating them in the playoff final? (And McKenna immediately resigning to be replaced by Paul Jewell). However, that also carries the chance of being the nightmare scenario, I can’t think of anything worse than losing to them instead.

As we seem to be learning, one season in the Premier League (promoted/immediately relegated) seems to bring as many financial burdens as it does benefits.

First season survival is beyond mission critical now & as an achievement, is far superior to getting the promotion that got you there in the first place.

No coincidence that the three promoted clubs look set to go straight down this season-unless you are a one-time 'bigger' club fighting your way back up there (and Leicester probably count as recent PL winners) then you're up against it from the off-which is exactly how we, Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton or West Brom would be from August onwards.

Clubs like Bournemouth, Brentford and Palace will be looking at who are likely to come up next season & be thinking that maybe at least two & almost certainly one of the three of them could head straight back in the opposite direction-heartening for them and their backers.

Unfortunately with their run-in and other teams loss of form up there, they look more likely to win the bloody league. I had no idea they were only 3 points off top now until I just checked the table, when did that happen? Leicester were miles ahead a few weeks ago. 

I thought they had blown it a few weeks back, but the others seem intent on letting them win the league.

could be fun with both of us in the Prem though

8 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Unfortunately with their run-in and other teams loss of form up there, they look more likely to win the bloody league. I had no idea they were only 3 points off top now until I just checked the table, when did that happen? Leicester were miles ahead a few weeks ago. 

Leicester lost 3 in a row, it’s a funny old game