Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Quiz: Top 10 most expensive signings

3 hours ago, chicken said:

These are such wild figures.

Sara's fee isn't 10.5m up front, I think it's more like £6m with add ons from reports at the time. I think it could total something like £11m when those add ons occur. Klose was supposedly around the price we sold Grabban for so £8m, not sure if the rate was close to 1.5 euro's to the £ then or not. A good example is that Rashica is rumoured to have cost around £9.4m which works out at todays rate to be just a tad north of 11m Euros.

Could be wrong though. Equally, Hooper was almost certainly £5m and so 5.3m euros seems awfully low.

Agreed, these figures clash violently with my remembered figures

I am fairly sure webber said kloser was still our most expensive signing. All signings are guessed,  as they are undisclosed. The club like us all to guess a figure. Same with selling players. 

2 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Basically when we spent big money for us it rarely works. Compare those 15 signings to Krul. Pukki, Mcveigh, Wes, Bowen, Culverhouse, Holt, Russell Martin, Kenny, Trybull, Zimmerman, Godfrey. 

All picked up on free transfers or for below a million.

I've always wondered about this, and the psychology of joining Norwich as a step up from a smaller club vs joining Norwich as a step down from a bigger club.

Huckerby is the only example I can think of where a 'big name' has properly enjoyed a successful time with us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I've always wondered about this, and the psychology of joining Norwich as a step up from a smaller club vs joining Norwich as a step down from a bigger club.

Huckerby is the only example I can think of where a 'big name' has properly enjoyed a successful time with us.

You're probably far too young to remember Martin Peters. 

8 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Dion Dublin had a couple of excellent seasons with us at the end of his career, but you're right that successful 'big names' are generally in short supply.

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Dion Dublin had a couple of excellent seasons with us at the end of his career, but you're right that successful 'big names' are generally in short supply.

I think it was more we were fairly rubbish at the time. 

8 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

To be fair, I think a lot of this comes down to fan memory.

For a club like Norwich, if we are dropping £7m+ on a player, he HAS to do well. It would be very memorable if he did not. And although the money is high for us, the fees are in reality the lowest rungs of the majority of PL business. So most of our 'big signings' are already heavily weighted against being a 'success' whilst there are loads of cheap transfers that have been rubbish that no one really thinks about.

Perhaps another interesting thread would be the 10 worst players signed for under, say, £3m, versus the 10 best. I think the former would have a very long waiting list in comparison to the latter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Just reflects the going rate doesnt it. We'll break it again in 5 years I imagine

Another exercise would be to convert the guesstimates into 2023/4 (or 1902) values, then do the same for the costlier players of yesteryear and add them into the list https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

It won’t make much if any difference to the membership top 10, given they’re all from the last 10 years. Alsofootball inflation will have outstripped ordinary inflation by so much over  the last 30 years. But it would jig the positioning around a bit.

• Like 1

1  Steven Naismith 2016 11m 2024 14.37m 

2  Timm Klose 2016 11m 2024 14.37m

3  Ricky van Wolfswinkel 2013 10m 2024 13.35m

4  Robbie Brady 2015 9.9m 2024 13.02m

5  Christos Tzolis 2021 11m 2024 12.97m 

6  Milot Rashica  2021 11m 2024 12.97m

7  Alex Pritchard 2016  9.4m 2024 12.28m 

8  Gabriel Sara  2022 10.5m 2024 11.34m 

9  Josh Sargent 2021 9.5m 2024 11.20m

10  Ben Gibson  2021 9.3m 2024 10.96m

11  Yanic Wildschutt   2017 8.2m 2024 10.43m

12  Dean Ashton  2005 6m 2024 10.10m 

13  Dimitrios Giannoulis  2021 7.5m 2024 8.84m 

14 Gary Hooper  2013 6.3m 2024 8.41m

15  Angus Gunn  2021 5.85m 2024 6.90m

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

I think it was more we were fairly rubbish at the time. 

No denying that we were rubbish, but he was still a cut above. I remember loads of fans moaning about signing a washed-up old journeyman, and then eating their words when he was consistently the best player on the park.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

1  Steven Naismith 2016 11m 2024 14.37m 

2  Timm Klose 2016 11m 2024 14.37m

3  Ricky van Wolfswinkel 2013 10m 2024 13.35m

4  Robbie Brady 2015 9.9m 2024 13.02m

5  Christos Tzolis 2021 11m 2024 12.97m 

6  Milot Rashica  2021 11m 2024 12.97m

7  Alex Pritchard 2016  9.4m 2024 12.28m 

8  Gabriel Sara  2022 10.5m 2024 11.34m 

9  Josh Sargent 2021 9.5m 2024 11.20m

10  Ben Gibson  2021 9.3m 2024 10.96m

11  Yanic Wildschutt   2017 8.2m 2024 10.43m

12  Dean Ashton  2005 6m 2024 10.10m 

13  Dimitrios Giannoulis  2021 7.5m 2024 8.84m 

14 Gary Hooper  2013 6.3m 2024 8.41m

15  Angus Gunn  2021 5.85m 2024 6.90m

What are those make believe figures from? 

22 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

No denying that we were rubbish, but he was still a cut above. I remember loads of fans moaning about signing a washed-up old journeyman, and then eating their words when he was consistently the best player on the park.

I agree ,  he was the best player, and had a great attitude,  we all loved him. But the bar was really low. He was one of those signings we always used to do, mick channon, Martin Peters etc , they add something. 

2 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

I agree ,  he was the best player, and had a great attitude,  we all loved him. But the bar was really low. He was one of those signings we always used to do, mick channon, Martin Peters etc , they add something. 

On that basis you could include Gary Megson. Robert Chase didnt want him and he and Mike Walker were at loggerheads over signing him at the time but Walker, somehow, miraculously, got his way and Megson, the player, in that 92/93 season was a major contributor.

Jeremy Goss, I think, recalled how everyone was wildly celebrating after the 2-4 win at Arsenal on that opening day, aside from Megson who told them all they needed to move on and think about the next game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

On that basis you could include Gary Megson. Robert Chase didnt want him and he and Mike Walker were at loggerheads over signing him at the time but Walker, somehow, miraculously, got his way and Megson, the player, in that 92/93 season was a major contributor.

Jeremy Goss, I think, recalled how everyone was wildly celebrating after the 2-4 win at Arsenal on that opening day, aside from Megson who told them all they needed to move on and think about the next game.

There's lots, probably could of done with one of those sort of players in Webber and Farke's second attempt at the prem,  someone with some winning or survival experience of the prem.  

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

What are those make believe figures from? 

Your ‘Make believe’ = rest of world’s ‘adjusted for inflation’… since you didn’t read my previous post