The Raptor

Footballers doing mundane/normal things

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I want to hit “like” but feel it doesn’t quite correctly describe my reaction to reading this. But thanks for recounting the story (I think).

😂 you're welcome 

You'll never eat ginger nut biscuits again. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Marc Edworthy is from the same area as my mum and played football for a tiny team there before his professional break. Saw him a few times in a local establishment and every morning absolutely hammering along the beach. You sometimes forget how fast pro footballers can be.

Much more recently I happened to be at Attleborough Sundays v Attleborough u18s in a pre season friendly and eventually realised the very vocal (and unimpressed) chap stood next to me was Grant Holt. He's shorter than you think.

Having played with / against Holty a few times in Wymondham over the past couple years he's not as tall as you think, but he has a f*cking jump and he's a very solid unit that doesn't move unless he wants to!

John Deehan attended a fete in our village in the 80s and participated, well he won very easily, a men's sprint race.

Speaking of mundane things, I'm pretty certain ex-Canary Simon Whaley is in car valeting now.

My doctor many years ago was the club doctor - he was based at Cromer surgery - always used to have a good chat about the club whenever I went to see him.    Also remember my Dad being completely star-struck when an ex-Canary turned up to try and sell him double glazing - working for Poll & Withey - can't remember who the hell it was though!!

Some 5/6 years ago.. Simon Lappin telling me that my works van is blocking his driveway. I didn't twig it was him until my workmate told me. Somewhere round Hingham.

In the early 80s, I wanted to have an evening out and be incognito. My companion suggested the Caribbean Club on Rose Lane and she led the way. We found ourselves at a table with Justin Fashanu. I was star struck, and had to be politely told not to talk about football. It was Saturday and City had lost to Man United at Old Trafford that afternoon, Justin had been substituted due to injury.

I have to say the image of him on the dance floor has lingered with me, he looked superb, fit and handsome. A Hackney lad. 

• Like 1