dylanisabaddog

Christmas TV thread

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Thought it was a bit disjointed and not terribly well scripted.  Also the BBC just can’t seem to stop themselves from turning a 1950’s English village into an entirely unrealistic multi-ethnic community as well as having an underlying commentary on the evils of colonialism.  

There were over 20,000 black and Asian people in the UK (mainly England) at the time the book was written. Shocking isn't it that one of them worked out how the public transport system worked. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There were over 20,000 black and Asian people in the UK (mainly England) at the time the book was written. Shocking isn't it that one of them worked out how the public transport system worked. 

Maybe, maybe not, but the casting bears little resemblance to Christie’s original work and it seems that the BBC Editorial Board won’t allow anything to progress to the filming stage if it doesn’t tick a sufficient number of D&I boxes, no matter how unrealistic the end result might be.  

Edited by Naturalcynic

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Maybe, maybe not, but the casting bears little resemblance to Christie’s original work and it seems that the BBC Editorial Board won’t allow anything to progress to the filming stage if it doesn’t tick a sufficient number of D&I boxes, no matter how unrealistic that might be.  

It wasn't unrealistic but I'm sure it must be very disappointing for you to have a black face on your TV screen at Christmas. Stop the boats! 

PS they changed a couple of characters as tv companies often do with Agatha Christie. From memory, very little of the plot changed. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Maybe, maybe not, but the casting bears little resemblance to Christie’s original work and it seems that the BBC Editorial Board won’t allow anything to progress to the filming stage if it doesn’t tick a sufficient number of D&I boxes, no matter how unrealistic the end result might be.  

It wasn't produced by the BBC, they didn't have any 'Editorial Board' input.

The main producer was Agatha Christie Productions Limited which is 36% owned by her family and is chaired by her great grandson.

They've been responsible for the previous Christmas adaptations of her original stories, her great grandson said recently that they are deliberately adapting the original stories so that they were given a bit of a refresh but they remain true to the original plots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It wasn't unrealistic but I'm sure it must be very disappointing for you to have a black face on your TV screen at Christmas. Stop the boats! 

PS they changed a couple of characters as tv companies often do with Agatha Christie. From memory, very little of the plot changed. 

No, I’m very happy to see faces of all ethnicities on television.  I’m merely stating my opinion that the BBC deliberately shoehorns in an excessively large D&I quota into situations where it’s unrealistic and diverges from the original storyline.

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The main producer was Agatha Christie Productions Limited which is 36% owned by her family and is chaired by her great grandson.

They've been responsible for the previous Christmas adaptations of her original stories, her great grandson said recently that they are deliberately adapting the original stories so that they were given a bit of a refresh but they remain true to the original plots.

Whether it’s produced by or for the BBC makes little difference.  

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Whether it’s produced by or for the BBC makes little difference.  

It makes all the difference if you blame the BBC for something they didn't do.

You can continue to be stupid or just admit you made a mistake.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It makes all the difference if you blame the BBC for something they didn't do.

You can continue to be stupid or just admit you made a mistake.

No, I’m sure the BBC ensures everything they show, whether it’s made by or for them, meets their editorial standards.  

36 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

No, I’m sure the BBC ensures everything they show, whether it’s made by or for them, meets their editorial standards.  

You could either chose to believe the explanation from @A Load of Squitor accept that the BBC deliberately put some juicy bait on their hook and you bit it. 

• Like 1

Did anyone watch Death In Paradise spin off Beyond Paradise with Kris Marshall?  Very easy watching but it made Hallmark Films look edgy. Syrupy TV.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did anyone watch Death In Paradise spin off Beyond Paradise with Kris Marshall?  Very easy watching but it made Hallmark Films look edgy. Syrupy TV.

I'm sure I read there's another spin off in the new year. I love all of them. If you like those series seek out Sister Boniface 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15407098/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

That is relevant, because the Christie estate makes a point about disowning productions (such as an excellent one a while back called The Truth About Murder) if it doesn’t think they are true to her legacy. Obviously it was happy with this one.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Ha! I see what you mean. 10 minutes in and I'm drifting...

It didn't used to be like this.

I've just watched Saltburn on Amazon & I've no idea what it was supposed to be.

I watched to the end as I was expecting something to make it seem worth putting in the effort but that didn't happen.

No spoilers but the 'reveal' at the end was very obvious, someone told me there were some laugh out loud moments but I must've missed them.

The only decent bit of the film was Richard E Grant doing what he does best, being a posh nutter. 

10 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I think the story lines will spice up when Lee Mack turns up and she has to admit she's been living a double life.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I've reeled myself back in, only to realise it's a bloody repeat.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The bloody fool didn't realise he was supposed to be driving the train, not travelling as a passenger. Uppity little ****.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

TBF there are only a few hundred TV adaptions of Agatha Christie stories to choose from if one has a tendency to faint at the sight of a black face. So it must be traumatic to be forced to watch one that has tried to do something slightly different.

• Haha 1

The only thing I've watched is the rerun of The World at War on Yesterday. Christ knows how many times I've seen it, but it never fails to impress.

This is worth a look if you're bored of tv

Not Christmas viewing but I've just got access to the 2nd and 3rd series of Slow Horses on apple tv. The 2nd series is excellent, especially Gary Oldman. One scene with him eating Chinese food is disgusting but at the same time compulsive viewing. 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not Christmas viewing but I've just got access to the 2nd and 3rd series of Slow Horses on apple tv. The 2nd series is excellent, especially Gary Oldman. One scene with him eating Chinese food is disgusting but at the same time compulsive viewing. 

Just recently started reading the book series by Mick Herron. So far, so good.

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Just recently started reading the book series by Mick Herron. So far, so good.

I'm too lazy for that. I did read a book once and it was very good but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called 🤔

• Haha 1

On 30/12/2023 at 09:04, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm too lazy for that. I did read a book once and it was very good but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called 🤔

Was it green?

• Haha 3

In case anyone else hasn't mentioned it. 

Mr Bates v The Post Office is on ITV and available on catch up. 

Superb tv but be warned, it will make your head explode. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In case anyone else hasn't mentioned it. 

Mr Bates v The Post Office is on ITV and available on catch up. 

Superb tv but be warned, it will make your head explode. 

Just about to start it now.👍

I'd highly recommend Irvine Welsh's Crime. I binged the two series over Christmas and it was very good. Like Rebus but much darker and quite funny with some of Welsh's typical black humour. Some great acting too especially Dougray Scott.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Just about to start it now.👍

I'd highly recommend Irvine Welsh's Crime. I binged the two series over Christmas and it was very good. Like Rebus but much darker and quite funny with some of Welsh's typical black humour. Some great acting too especially Dougray Scott.

You could give the film Filth a go, but I'd say it's average really.

• Thanks 1

I caught the Great American Buffalo Part 1 by Ken Burn on BBC4 last night. It was good and covers the decline of them in the American Plains. You can catch it on Iplayer, but part 2 will be on next Tuesday. I don't know if there was any buffalo in Canada so it would have been nice if it had covered that as well.

Edited by KiwiScot