Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Huddersfield

After battling my way round Marks & Spencers this morning I was dubious as to whether I had enough puff left to bike down to the ground this afternoon. However the habits of a lifetime are hard to break and although it was a little bit windy, conditions were otherwise fairly mild and dry so I gave it a go. The omens were good and having just watched our southern neighbours get a tonking at Elland Road I had a strong feeling that this was going to be a good Xmas.

A small cheer went up from me when we lost the toss and kicked off towards the Barclay for a change. In the old days this was always the favoured choice and stood us in good stead for many years. In the early stages City dominated possession without really getting in any goal scoring positons and despite some nice accurate passing most of the play was across and in front of the Huddersfield defence and when the ball eventually came into the box the danger was easily snuffed out. The visitors were mostly set up behind the ball but did come forward in the sixth minute to win a corner and a free kick but they could do no better than find a header that went well over.

City did eventually work a bit of space when Rowe burst clear but the move ended when Sara could only find the side netting when forced wide. It was obviously going to be a game of patience as City continued to look neat and tidy with the ball but couldn't find an opening in the visitors packed defence. Midway through the half Huddersfield did manage to exert a short period of dominance but the early pattern of the game reasserted itself and the home side almost snatched the lead when a Stacey cross from the right found Barnes unmarked and his firm header looked goal bound from my end, only for Maxwell to produce a fine save to his left. It was about as close as we had got to a goal first half and apart from a low shot from Nunez that went wide, there was little sign of a breakthrough. Just before the half ended, Gianoullis got a bang in the face it I wasn't surprised when he didn't appear second half.

It looked better almost immediately when McCallum came on and linked up with Sainz down the City left and won a corner which Duffy couldn't get enough contact on. The ball ran out to the far side where Nunez retrieved and swung in a ball that McCallum headed into the net from a narrowish angle to give City the lead. Confidence now seemed to flow through the team and with Sara spraying passes right and left the crowd finally got behind the team and we had a few choruses of OTBC.

Stacey then put in a lovely cross after a low ball had whistled across the face of goal without anyone getting a touch. Sainz glanced a header just wide then Rowe tested the visitors keeper with another low shot on target. There was little coming back the other way and I can't recall anything that troubled Gunn all afternoon. The introduction of McCallum seemed to have set Sainz alight and the visitors had to resort to a bit of rough house to keep him out more than once.

We had Fassnacht and Idah on for Rowe and Hernandez just after the hour but it made little difference to the rythm of the game which was now mostly one way and just after seventy minutes Idah sprung away down the right and had time to look up and see Barnes haring down the middle. His quick low cross was a tad too strong but Barnes touch only set Sainz up and a touch and a shuffle inside was all that was required for the little winger to find space and curl a low shot beyond Maxwell for number two.

After this it could easily have been three or four and one glorious move involving Sara and an Idah backheel almost ended with Hwang, who had just replaced Barnes, netting in the far top corner. Unfortunately it was a couple of feet wide. From here on the game was done and dusted and coupled with the 1p5wich result it meant a nice little Xmas present for those of us of the Yellow persuasion.

I don't know if you can give a man who only had forty five minutes, MOM but I thought he really was surperb second half and was instrumental in getting the result. Sara and Nunez were again almost faultless and also a special mention for Onell who left it all out there on the pitch today.

Hopefully this sets us up nicely for an improved second half of the season because we did look good today once the confidence returned and the crowd found their mojo.

Happy Xmas and a prosperous New Year to all from Ricardo.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 20

Just now, Nik Vawn said:

Amazing what a bit of confidence does.

Hopefully we are regaining ours while 1p5wich are losing theirs.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

After battling my way round Marks & Spencers this morning I was dubious as to whether I had enough puff left to bike down to the ground this afternoon. However the habits of a lifetime are hard to break and although it was a little bit windy, conditions were otherwise fairly mild and dry so I gave it a go. The omens were good and having just watched our southern nieghbours get a tonking at Elland Road I had a strong feeling that this was going to be a good Xmas.

A small cheer went up from me when we lost the toss and kicked off towards the Barclay for a change. In the old days this was always the favoured choice and stood us in good stead for many years. In the early stages City dominated possession without really getting in any goal scoring positons and despite some nice accurate passing most of the play was across and in front of the Huddersfield defence and when the ball eventually came into the box the danger was easily snuffed out. The visitors were mostly set up behind the ball but did come forward in the sixth minute to win a corner and a free kick but they could do no better than find a header that went well over.

City did eventually work a bit of space when Rowe burst clear but the move ended when Sara could only find the side netting when forced wide. It was obviously going to be a game of patience as City continued to look neat and tidy with the ball but couldn't find an opening in the visitors packed defence. Midway through the half Huddersfield did manage to exert a short period of dominance but the early pattern of the game reasserted itself and the home side almost snatched the lead when a Stacey cross from the right found Barnes unmarked and his firm header looked goal bound from my end, only for Maxwell to produce a fine save to his left. It was about as close as we had got to a goal first half and apart from a low shot from Nunez that went wide, there was little sign of a breakthrough. Just before the half ended, Gianoullis got a bang in the face it I wasn't surprised when he didn't appear second half.

It looked better almost immediately when McCallum came on and linked up with Sainz down the City left and won a corner which Duffy couldn't get enough contact on. The ball ran out to the far side where Nunez retrieved and swung in a ball that McCallum headed into the net from a narrowish angle to give City the lead. Confidence now seemed to flow through the team and with Sara spraying passes right and left the crowd finally got behind the team and we had a few choruses of OTBC.

Stacey then put in a lovely cross after a low ball had whistled across the face of goal without anyone getting a touch. Sainz glanced a header just wide then Rowe tested the visitors keeper with another low shot on target. There was little coming back the other way and I can't recall anything that troubled Gunn all afternoon. The introduction of McCallum seemed to have set Sainz alight and the visitors had to resort to a bit of rough house to keep him out more than once.

We had Fassnacht and Idah on for Rowe and Hernandez just after the hour but it made little difference to the rythm of the game which was now mostly one way and just after seventy minutes Idah sprung away down the right and had time to look up and see Barnes haring down the middle. His quick low cross was a tad to strong but Barnes touch only set Sainz up and a touch and a shuffle inside was all that was required for the little winger to find space and curl a low shot beyond Maxwell for number two.

After this it could easily have been three or four and one glorious move involving Sara and an Idah backheel almost ended with Hwang, who had just replaced Barnes, netting in the far top corner. Unfortunately it was a couple of feet wide. From here on the game was done and dusted and coupled with the 1p5wich result it meant a nice little Xmas present for those of us of the Yellow persuasion.

I don't know if you can give a man who only had forty five minutes, MOM but I thought he really was surperb second half and was instrumental in getting the result. Sara and Nunez were again almost faultless and also a special mention for Onell who left it all out there on the pitch today.

Hopefully this sets us up nicely for an improved second half of the season because we did look good today once the confidence returned and the crowd found their mojo.

Happy Xmas and a prosperous New Year to all from Ricardo.

Wonderful as ever Ricardo, A Merry Christmas to you and all your loved ones. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Great report as always.  A rather forgettable game but a win is a win.  Sainz my MOM.  Actually reminded me of Wes at one point.

Very important he stays fit Myra. He gives us a different dimension.