Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Sheff Wed

As we approach the Xmas period this was a typical damp and dreary day at the fag end of the year but thankfully the rain held off and conditions were much better than Saturday. Even so, judging by the number of empty seats, quite a large number of people found better things to do and were not there to finally witness Borza Sainz starting a game. Rowe was also given the nod and Fisher also came in for Stacey.

The opening moments were quiet with City looking comfortable in possession and there was really nothing of note until the home side jumped into an early lead. We were in the sixth minute when Kenny linked up with Sainz to the left of the River End area. The City winger took the ball a few yards across the edge of the box before unleashing a shot that left Dawson in the Wednesday net grasping fresh air. All seemed well with the world although the visitors did begin to push forward and were quick to get crosses into the box.

On ten minutes there was a hairy moment when Gunn took too long on the ball and nearly gave it away. That should have been a warning and for a while they seemed to take heed although it began to get concerning with the amount of corners and long throws that we had to defend. I thought Wednesday were there for the taking if we had upped the pace but we seemed content with the slow stuff and let them come on to us. To be honest it was all a bit pedestrian until past the halfway stage when a lovely move gave Barnes a glorious chance from about ten yards after Idah touched the ball back to him. He hit it well enough but with the goal gaping all he could manage was to bang his effort against the bar with Dawson beaten. Almost immediately afterwards a Wednesday attack broke down in out right back position and Duffy, I think it was, needlessly swept an aimless ball right across the pitch to give the visitors a throw in. It was another long one and this time it ended up withCadamarteri poking the ball past Gunn for the equaliser. Oh deary me it was totally self inflicted.

It improved a bit when Sara got his foot on the ball and sent Barnes through but yet again he could not hit the target from what was an acceptable chance . Rowe didn't seem to be at his best and only flickered in and out of the game, just before the half ended he had a shot charged down in a crowded penalty area but that was the sum total of his efforts apart from spending a lot of time laying on the grass. On the stroke of the whistle Idah got in a decent header but couldn't direct it wide of the keeper.

It seemed obvious that City needed to up their pace second half and they did this in some style when Barnes finished off a lovely move after Sara had sent Sainz away down the left and his low cross was steered into the far corner to give City the lead again.

Stacey had replaced Fisher and it seemed to give the home side a more attacking threat for a while but then we had a long stoppage as the ref just ran off the pitch for no apparent reason. After some discussion it appeared that his radio had broken down and we had a fair wodge of time before the restart.

Wednesday continued to hold a bit of a threat and Kenny had to move sharply to conceed a corner when a low cross came in from the left. It was a worry but City defended the corners and crosses quite well and sprung away themselves with twenty minutes left. A Gianoullis cross from the left was scrambled clear but moments later he was given another opportunity and this time Rowe was on the end to head in from close range. It seemed tht Wagner thought we had done enough and Rowe and Sainz were swapped for Onell and Fassnacht and in truthwe now looked fairly comfortable. Sara and Idah came off as time ticked down and no doubt with an eye to Saturday both Gibbs and Batth were given some game time.

It was no surpise when ten minutes were added and although it gave the visitors fresh impetus, City defended a torrent of high balls into the box quite well. Gunn had one simple tip over and a straightforward block at the far post but otherwise there were few alarms before Mr Donohue finally brought an end to proceedings.

Sainz my MOM, a lovely goal, a fine assist and a good all round display. Kenny, Sara, Ginny and Nunez again had solid games.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, mastoola said:

we seem to have a huge whole in midfield which allows the other team to play in

Indeed, you only have to see the number of shots we allow to see where the problem lies.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, you only have to see the number of shots we allow to see where the problem lies.

Imo its not our players   its the way they set up to play

• Like 1

That was the first game I've managed to get to see since, I think, the Farke era, so I had a contrast with how I last saw the team with how they are now.
I thought that that was an incredibly unconvincing win, which could have easily been 4 or 5-1.
As mentioned above, we don't seem to have much command in the midfield. The entire team looks to be about 60% of what I remember in the Champ under Farke.
We seem so slow going forward; there was very little hope of seeing Norwich catch Sheff W on the break. There were a few times when we even passed it back to the keeper from being up to the centre line and even maybe beyond it.
It all seemed rather lethargic, as did the crowd, me included.

Still, it's 3 points, which I'll take.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K Lo said:

That was the first game I've managed to get to see since, I think, the Farke era, so I had a contrast with how I last saw the team with how they are now.
I thought that that was an incredibly unconvincing win, which could have easily been 4 or 5-1.
As mentioned above, we don't seem to have much command in the midfield. The entire team looks to be about 60% of what I remember in the Champ under Farke.
We seem so slow going forward; there was very little hope of seeing Norwich catch Sheff W on the break. There were a few times when we even passed it back to the keeper from being up to the centre line and even maybe beyond it.

Yes, apart from the second goal tonight we did tend to move the ball forward far too slowly

9 minutes ago, mastoola said:

We need someone in the middle to wave their arm showing where the goal is!!!   god its clueless 

eh ?

It's that we do know where the ball is, but don't seem to be bothered about where their players are. If we allow the opposition to have two or even three players unmarked in midfield then it is not too difficult for them to get the ball into our final third. I can only assume that the thought is we can then rob them of the ball there.  Unfortunately, this tactic is the cause of so many goals being conceded.

Whereas the moment we have possession in our half the opposition close us down/mark tight, hence the slowness in us going forward - there is no one to pass to. Watch v the binners., how little marking there is when they have possession, and how many options their defenders and midfielders have.

There was one part of the match where the game stopped and the players were standing around.
I hadn't realised that the ref had left the pitch (to go for a massive dump ??)
I thought that the players had just agreed to give up for 5-10 minutes or so and have a bit of a rest and a chat.
It really seemed that lackadaisical.

I thought Bannan at 34 was easily the best player on the pitch and he gave Wednesday control of the midfield although with the way City are setup that isn't too difficult, a better game than Saturday for the neutral but it was hard to believe there is a 17 point gap between the two sides. They'll have to change the formation for Saturday otherwise it could be a long and painful afternoon but there were signs last night that with Sainz producing more in one game than Hernandez has all season and Barnes getting fitter City should be able to compete.

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

Everyone it seems can see this other than Wagner. To be fair, against sides you could perhaps take the view that it’s a sacrifice worth making to increase our attacking potency and because they won’t attack so much but do it against the better sides and we will get punished. 

8 hours ago, K Lo said:

That said, the second goal was a picture-perfect counter-attack. Wednesday pushed up, lost control of the ball, and we countered down the pitch for Barnes to tap in.

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, apart from the second goal tonight we did tend to move the ball forward far too slowly

Absolutely this. Our second goal was  directly because we moved the ball more quickly (and got Sainz on the ball) . 
We seem hard wired to move the ball out to the full backs. . Still need to get Sara passing through the lines . 

Thanks Ricardo as always, but I’d add a special mention for Rowe, he worked hard tracking back and was targeted by the Sheffield players, being taken out off the ball and on it! Thought he did well considering his age to deal with it.

52 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That said, the second goal was a picture-perfect counter-attack. Wednesday pushed up, lost control of the ball, and we countered down the pitch for Barnes to tap in.

It was ! I agree.
I've since seen the highlights and the 3 goals make Norwich look like quite a fluent, attacking team.
Quite a few clenching moments where Sheff W went close though !