Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Shane McGowan RIP

Only saw them once, supporting The Libertines in 2014-he was a wreck by then, shambling on and off stage, can’t remember what his voice was like. He wrote some great songs, shame he let the drink take over.

29 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Only 65, definitely too early. Thanks for the music you left behind. 

He did well to last as long as he did. I seem to remember reading years ago he was told if he had another drink it would kill him. Addiction is a strange thing.

• Like 1

My brother overplayed the Pogues back in the day so I have a bit of a love and hate relationship with them.

I'm sad but not shocked that he has gone. He will leave a good musical legacy behind though. 

27 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

He did well to last as long as he did. I seem to remember reading years ago he was told if he had another drink it would kill him. Addiction is a strange thing.

In typical Shane McGowan style he gave up drinking spirits and only drank white wine spritzers.

The first time I saw them was the summer ball gig at the UEA, they were supporting Elvis Costello, Shane came on stage clutching a bottle of Jack Daniels and drank it during their set, when he finished it they bought another one out for him. The rider for that gig must've bankrupted the university.

Later I saw him with the Popes at the London Fleadh, they kept giving out announcements on his whereabouts starting with 'the car have picked up Shane from his house', 'Shane is 20 minutes away', 'Shane has arrived at the venue' and 'Shane will be on stage in 30 minutes, he's just having a drink'.

Sad to say, I must be on my way

So buy me beer and Whiskey

As I'm going far away.

• Like 2

I always liked the fact that the initial band name, Pogue Mahone, was an Anglicised spelling of the Irish Gaelic for "kiss my ar*e".

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The first time I saw them was the summer ball gig at the UEA, they were supporting Elvis Costello,

I was there too

• Like 1