Sign in to follow this  
daisy

We need a left footed centre half.

I`m convinced  the reason Gibson was playing each week until his injury is because he is the only left footer. It is clear after watching Duffy , Batth and slightly less Hanley, that none of these are very good at playing on the left. It was a similar problem last season. So working with what we have, after yesterday I wouldn`t mind seeing Mclean given an opportunity there, thought he did well, played some good long balls, decent in the air and good with the ball. Many will disagree but who else can fill that position and look comfortable. Playing a right footer there really isn`t the answer.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a prerequisite. I think all of the best partnerships in Premier League history have been two right-footers playing together. 

I'd much rather a right-footed centre back playing on the left of the pair than Kenny McLean, a midfielder who sometimes struggles with the defensive side of his game anyway.

I don’t know why people obsess about needing a left footer to play in left sided positions. In fact, when it comes to full backs, for example,  I’d like to see left footers used at right back more often and vice versa considering how many wingers cut inside these days.

I certainly don’t think it’s a detriment to have a right footer playing on the left side of central defence. A good defender is a good defender regardless of which side of the centre he’s standing when the game kicks off.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And a new manager, and new owners..

It really is endless

And £96m to pay off the debt and another £50m odd to get some players remotely good enough to get promotion.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

And £96m to pay off the debt and another £50m odd to get some players remotely good enough to get promotion.

And a reformed EPL so we could actually compete in it if we get there

5 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

I don’t know why people obsess about needing a left footer to play in left sided positions. In fact, when it comes to full backs, for example,  I’d like to see left footers used at right back more often and vice versa considering how many wingers cut inside these days.

I certainly don’t think it’s a detriment to have a right footer playing on the left side of central defence. A good defender is a good defender regardless of which side of the centre he’s standing when the game kicks off.

I think our right footed centre backs have proved you wrong. 😉 

• Like 1

I have to agree.A rightfooted midfield player and a left footed CB would definitely be my choice.You can see by their body language that some of our players are uncomfortable playing out of position.

17 hours ago, daisy said:

I think our right footed centre backs have proved you wrong. 😉 

Ours maybe but I’m sure is an endless list of right footed centre backs playing in left sided roles that would prove my general point very much right no?

On 12/11/2023 at 10:46, daisy said:

I`m convinced  the reason Gibson was playing each week until his injury is because he is the only left footer. It is clear after watching Duffy , Batth and slightly less Hanley, that none of these are very good at playing on the left. It was a similar problem last season. So working with what we have, after yesterday I wouldn`t mind seeing Mclean given an opportunity there, thought he did well, played some good long balls, decent in the air and good with the ball. Many will disagree but who else can fill that position and look comfortable. Playing a right footer there really isn`t the answer.

Coaches hate left footed centre halves. Left footed players are absolutely useless with their right foot. 

Teemu Pukki on the other hand loved them. He could run between left and right footed centre halves at will.