Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Boro

After the stormy weather of Saturday we have had had couple of relatively pleasant days. So much so that yesterday I took Mrs R out for an airing and a nice fish and chip lunch at the seaside. Unfortunately today dawned dark and drizzly although it did brighten up a bit at tea time. I was surprised to see Mr Wagner keep faith with his defence but he did bring Nunez in to replace Gibbs.

It was a bit of an untidy opening from both teams. City's first chance was from a free kick won by Rowe but Sara could only blast high and wide. On ten minutes Kenny slipped a nice ball through for Nunez but the little man could not beat the well placed  Boro keeper.

The visitors seemed happy to sit back and frustrate but on the quarter hour thry broke forward and had a spell of pressure and troubled the home defence with a series of corners. Then Long had to make a smart save to his left as Boro continued to make half chances as the home sides early sparkle fell away. Hernandez and Rowe both choose the wrong options when nearly through but in truth it was the away side that looked the most likely to break the deadlock.

A decent break down the left could have offered the home side a rare opportunity to take charge but Hernandez spoiled good work with a terrible cut back that set Boro away from thr edge of their own box. Next it was almost a goal for the visitors as Sara lost possession and Long had to block away another on target effort. To be honest we were starting to look second best and you could see the frustration building when City did breakout only for Sara to blast high and wide from distance. At the whistle there were a few boo's and little question that we had been second best for much of the half.

If we were hoping for something better we were to be rudely disappointed as Boro took the lead within seconds of the restart. Gianoullis lost possession and biff bang wallop, a couple of passes and the ball was in our net. The City full back almost made amends a couple of minutes later when his run and ball inside found Nunez who unluckily saw his piledriver come back off the bar from 20 yards.

With the home side finally pushing forward with a bit of speed it did begin to look better but Boro still looked lively on the break and Long was again called into action with a diving save.

Hernandez had done little and it was no surprise when Sainz replaced him on 65 minutes. The swap of Hwang for Idah was a less obvious change in my opinion. It was mostly City now but despite huffs and puffs no real chances came until after a spell of pressure, Stacey put over a nice cross that Gibson could only head into the side netting.

With Boro now milking the clock Plachetta and Fassnacht came on and it was the first named who was sent away at speed down the left only for his low cross into the area to be blocked for a corner. Again City couldn't force an equaliser Then with time running down it was Stacey again but he couldnt pull the ball back and muffed it straight to the keeper.

With nine minutes added there was still a chance but that was soon squashed when Silvera was afforded time and space to size up a low shot from the edge of the box that beat Long at the far post. They were leaving in droves now and most missed a quite splendid  City consolation when Rowe rifled home an angled cross shot from about 12 yards. Nice but too little too late.

We are in a spot of bother and as I remarked a few weeks ago, this could go on for some time. Hard to deny that Boro got what they deserved.

MOM? ? ? ? ?

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, S_81 said:

MOM? There honestly wasn’t one for us. 

I’d give it to Sainz just because he offered some hope

I’d  give it to the dozen or so Groundsmen walking the length of the South Stand with their forks and playing with the grass

They put about as much effort as the 11 on the pitch

The most annoying thing is how the first goal was so unnecessary and self-inflicted - we had the ball on the touchline in their half but, as all too often at the moment, rather than go forward, we passed back into trouble and within a moment had conceded.  I’m all for good build up play, but it really doesn’t have to be quite so pedestrian and predictable. Maybe the first thought should be to play forward rather than back?  My old footy teacher always said ‘if in doubt play it forward’.

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The most annoying thing is how the first goal was so unnecessary and self-inflicted - we had the ball on the touchline in their half but, as all too often at the moment, rather than go forward, we passed back into trouble and within a moment had conceded.  I’m all for good build up play, but it really doesn’t have to be quite so pedestrian and predictable. Maybe the first thought should be to play forward rather than back?  My old footy teacher always said ‘if in doubt play it forward’.

Interestingly I distinctly remember Wagner saying when he arrived he wanted to play from the back but that that it should be with a first thought of forward passing…he seems to have really lost his way

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Shame you must have missed the best goal of the night but at least it didn’t alter the outcome of a thoroughly depressing 90 mins

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The sight of our free kick on the halfway line being passed to Long tells me so much about us at the moment.

Obviously we are easy to mark. If we couldn't find a forward player then are they not moving or incapable of finding space. 

And that the players having the most touches, Duffy and Gibson, do not have the skill to find a player who is more than five yards away.

The sight of Kenny and Sara picking up the ball in our area while our CBs go wide is a tactic Pep might employ, but surely not us with players obviously less skillful.

Whatever the opinion of Idah, he clearly is not a target player. His control is 50/50. And he isn't a poacher. So why have wingers? Crosses into the box, which are at best hit and hope, are not creating chances.

But last night it was difficult to blame the players. I couldn't particularly say they played badly. Yes, some were responsible such as Dimi's awful mistake and Onel's blind alley running. But Boro had a much better tactic. They assumed we would make errors at some stage and waited. But when they attacked, such as their 2nd goal, they often outnumbered us.

I am fed up saying we are wasting Sara's talent so deep in the pitch. We need a player bringing it out to him. His booking showed he isn't great at tackling. We brought in Forshaw for what?

So I am firmly pointing the finger at Wagner. His tactics are wrong. Surely with the players available, we should make the tactics suit the players. Its easy to blame the defence and of course they are culpable. But its normally midfield where a game is won or lost. So why not 3 at the back and five in midfield? That way some of our player's abilities would be better suited.

Dimi and Stacey love to attack but aren't the best of defenders. Take some of the defending away from them.Gabriel can score a lot of goals at this level so get him forward. Our wingers crossing is awful so take them out.

Long

Duffy Batth Gibson

Stacey MacLean Forshaw Giannoulis

Sara

Rowe Idah

28 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Shame you must have missed the best goal of the night but at least it didn’t alter the outcome of a thoroughly depressing 90 mins

Yes, we left on 96 mins, so did indeed miss the goal….of course by then it was done, but a shame to miss the best bit!

21 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, we left on 96 mins, so did indeed miss the goal….of course by then it was done, but a shame to miss the best bit!

Yes, it happens. I left well before time on Saturday. Sometimes you feel enough is enough.