dylanisabaddog

Sycamore Gap

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A nice thought but whoever did this is highly unlikely to have any money. But if it is possible to move large trees I think you could crowd fund the cost very easily. 

People who know about these things have said the tree probably isn't dead and will put out new shoots.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Kids? Thinking they're invincible? You are kidding! *gasp*

There was more than one reason why they died. One of which was because the police chose to pursue them, closely.

The driver and passenger of the police van are being criminally investigated. 

Prime example of the deranged mentality of freaks like yourself that has made the entire criminal justice system so ineffectual.

If the police are chasing you, you should stop. If they flee and people die in the pursuit, those deaths should be added to the charge sheet of those fleeing, not the police. The fact that the justice system agrees with idiots like you that the police are at fault for trying to stop criminals is a large part of why the UK is such a mess.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Prime example of the deranged mentality of freaks like yourself that has made the entire criminal justice system so ineffectual.

If the police are chasing you, you should stop. If they flee and people die in the pursuit, those deaths should be added to the charge sheet of those fleeing, not the police. The fact that the justice system agrees with idiots like you that the police are at fault for trying to stop criminals is a large part of why the UK is such a mess.

You didn't take my advice then?

Why not just save yourself some time and use ctrl+c on the following;

Hey guys, I'm a total moron

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's the first statement you've made all evening I agree with. You really are a total moron.

You're not doing copy and paste right.

No surprise there though really.

I've nailed  a parody of your own asinine approach perfectly though.

Bless you, you confused little man child.

Bless you, you confused little man child. (Copied and pasted, by the way)

Not the right bit, but it's progress. Well done you, 4th stupidest poster is definitely a realistic goal before Christmas.

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

Anyway, ignoring Mr. Guns-don't-kill-people-rapping-does, it's definitely looking like this Mr Renwick character could be the guy. This news seems a bit coincidental if he isn't. 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Anyway, ignoring Mr. Guns-don't-kill-people-rapping-does, it's definitely looking like this Mr Renwick character could be the guy. This news seems a bit coincidental if he isn't. 

Guns do kill people, especially when wielded by impressionable kids who listen to people glamourising criminality and weapons, like that waste of oxygen Kaba was involved in when he wasn't getting involved in conspiracy to murder himself. And even more so when you can't get any police officers to pick up a gun because they're all sh1t scared of being prosecuted.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Yes it is possible to move very large trees but the cost of the tree and all the gear to get it there would be large.

But presumably putting a large tree in an equivalent spot will mean grubbing up the stump and losing the chance of coppice regrowth, not to mention finding a sample size and planting spot that won't see the tree roots or the tree planting knocking down parts of hadrians wall?

Yes, you'd have to remove the stump and dig a very large hole removing any chance of suckering. Or you could put in a different position a fair few metres away, but that would lose the effect it had.

7 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Walter Renwick (why withhold his name?) had lived in the farmhouse all his life.  

He gave this quote to a paper:

Walter said he can't put his head anywhere else, adding: "I was born here. It is like a tree with roots.

"You know when your roots are here, everything has been put here..

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you're a Catholic this is probably the last thing you should be ashamed of! 

I've no idea if this man has anything to do with it, or with the young man who has been arrested, but reading through his history it would appear that he's hardly been a model tenant. Normal for Northumberland? 

You said above that you'd like to put a bullet through the head of the culprit.  Who are you to tell me what I should or should not be ashamed of? 

He isn't being evicted because he's a bad tenant but because the landlords want to sell.

The felling of the tree is a very sad and disturbing event, but not as disturbing as the lynch mob mentality on here and elsewhere in the media.  If he's released from custody, will he be safe?

Edited by benchwarmer

9 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

You said above that you'd like to put a bullet through the head of the culprit.  Who are you to tell me what I should or should not be ashamed of? 

He isn't being evicted because he's a bad tenant but because the landlords want to sell.

The felling of the tree is a very sad and disturbing event, but not as disturbing as the lynch mob mentality on here and elsewhere in the media.  If he's released from custody, will he be safe?

This statement is inaccurate. Go back and read the link on the previous page.

It's amazing how much everyone is leaping in with what needs to be done. Especially whoever overnight planted a new sycamore tree lol. Won't be long until theres a forest of them with trainers hanging from the branches and "love" padlocks against a railing.

in 100 years there will be cults. Those for the wall, those for the tree, those for the theme park.

I suppose the best idea is to encourage regrowth as this has the minium impact and then discourage the public from turning the site into some special project. Me? I'd want a huge removal of the root system, with support underneath for the wall then fill in. Plant a new tree with whatever needs done to stop subsidence and protect the wall. It happened and anything to be done is for distant relatives to enjoy, move on.

11 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

You are a religious person BW so I think you will 'get' this.

The true crime that has been committed is actually 'Sacrilege'.

For almost everybody, religious or not, could grasp the beauty of the tree in its setting. It was perfect. It transcended religion or all our human centric petty beliefs.  It threatened nobody, wasn't evangelical or an affront to anybody. It was purely passive but immensely moving or spiritual even.

That it should be cut down or trashed in what I can only call spite is indeed sacrilege - and an attack on all of us - indeed a 'treason'.

Obviously these days we don't have lynch mobs but 'Treason' or Sacrilege always carried the heaviest of penalties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

For almost everybody, religious or not, could grasp the beauty of the tree in its setting. It was perfect. It transcended religion or all our human centric petty beliefs.  It threatened nobody, wasn't evangelical or an affront to anybody. It was purely passive but immensely moving or spiritual even.

That it should be cut down or trashed in what I can only call spite is indeed sacrilege - and an attack on all of us - indeed a 'treason'.

Obviously these days we don't have lynch mobs but 'Treason' or Sacrilege always carried the heaviest of penalties.

Equating sacrilege with treason is highly suspect. 

Felling the tree could well be described as sacreligious, which is a serious sin.  But because I'm a Christian I believe that in Jesus Christ, God became man and sacrificed himself on the cross precisely in order that our sins, no matter how serious, could be forgiven.

Forgiveness doesn't excuse what's happened; if there was no sin there'd be nothing to forgive.  No one is capable of forgiveness without God's help, which is freely given to us through belief in Christ's sacrifice, but if as Christians we refuse to forgive, his sacrifice is wasted.

Christianity has no truck with Old Testament "eye for an eye" retribution.  Indeed, it was by challenging Old Testament attitudes such as this that the religious authorities of his own day had Jesus put to death.

I daresay this isn't what you want to hear, but if you ask a theological question you can expect a theological answer.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Iconoclasm is a good word for it: The destruction of something simply because other people revere it.

10 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

It's amazing how much everyone is leaping in with what needs to be done. Especially whoever overnight planted a new sycamore tree lol. Won't be long until theres a forest of them with trainers hanging from the branches and "love" padlocks against a railing.

in 100 years there will be cults. Those for the wall, those for the tree, those for the theme park.

I suppose the best idea is to encourage regrowth as this has the minium impact and then discourage the public from turning the site into some special project. Me? I'd want a huge removal of the root system, with support underneath for the wall then fill in. Plant a new tree with whatever needs done to stop subsidence and protect the wall. It happened and anything to be done is for distant relatives to enjoy, move on.

When the seven oaks in Sevenoaks were blown over in the hurricane of 88 they planted saplings, but they've been repeatedly vandalised.