Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Moderated

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyway, I was angry that the Glazers may wait to sell because they think the club could be worth £10Bn by 2025. Apparently its only worth £6-7Bn at the moment. And when you didn't pay a penyy for it either.

You're worried about the Glazers? Have you seen what Attanasio has achieved? 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

You're worried about the Glazers? Have you seen what Attanasio has achieved? 

I am worried about football. Talk about levelling up. Its levelling down in football at the moment.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am worried about football. Talk about levelling up. Its levelling down in football at the moment.

As I've said many times before,  different rules for football. Always has been  always will be. Unfortunately. 

My Posty didn't come today. When I rang to ask why I was informed he was involved in a violent incident up the Larkman.

Not sure this heavy handed moderation was needed whether by AI or person. Pops is a decent poster and he has apologised for any offence caused. All it would have taken was to say it offended either by pm or on the thread and I'm sure Pops would have changed the wording. 

There really is no victory in getting the thread removed. In fact this place is poorer for it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My Posty didn't come today. When I rang to ask why I was informed he was involved in a violent incident up the Larkman.

Not sure this heavy handed moderation was needed whether by AI or person. Pops is a decent poster and he has apologised for any offence caused. All it would have taken was to say it offended either by pm or on the thread and I'm sure Pops would have changed the wording. 

There really is no victory in getting the thread removed. In fact this place is poorer for it.

Why don't you send them a message and suggest that approach for any future similar scenarios. Just a thought of doing something constructive. 😉

31 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So in effect you were snitching on him.

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I'll leave messaging mods to those who already do it. If I have something to say I post it for all to see.

We've noticed!

Just it would give them a chance to think about your suggestion, or explain why it can't be done. What's not to like?

Simples.

I'm on another non football forum, where the mods adopt that approach and tell people if their posts are inflammatory or against any rules. Posts get removed, or the offensive content and any repeat offences result in an initial temporary ban, then a permanent one.

However I  recall previous posters on here not heading mods warnings for their behaviour. Mods aren't responsible for people's inability to be civil towards each other.

(That said I think the kgds posts only needed editing rather than removal) 

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So in effect you were snitching on him.

Just enquiring about his health. He used to play footy at the club. Apparently he'd never seen an old dog like it...

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

We've noticed!

Just it would give them a chance to think about your suggestion, or explain why it can't be done. What's not to like?

Simples.

I'm on another non football forum, where the mods adopt that approach and tell people if their posts are inflammatory or against any rules. Posts get removed, or the offensive content and any repeat offences result in an initial temporary ban, then a permanent one.

However I  recall previous posters on here not heading mods warnings for their behaviour. Mods aren't responsible for people's inability to be civil towards each other.

(That said I think the kgds posts only needed editing rather than removal) 

How about you add it to your next moderation request.

• Haha 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

How about you add it to your next moderation request.

It's  not my suggestion. Wouldn't want to steal any of your glory......

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Just enquiring about his health. He used to play footy at the club. Apparently he'd never seen an old dog like it...

Just enquiring after the postie, hope he's returned to service today.

Have you chased him up if not, given your concern for his welfare?

Edited by Greavsy

15 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Is the Larkman still the dodgy place it was when I was a nipper? I lived at West Earlham so was on the fringes of it. Then we moved to Bluebell Road right opposite the old Earlham GC.

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Hope they didn't need an anti-rabies shot...😍 

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is the Larkman still the dodgy place it was when I was a nipper? I lived at West Earlham so was on the fringes of it. Then we moved to Bluebell Road right opposite the old Earlham GC.

The rough area is now Bowthorpe. The dogs roam the streets wearing sandals in case they cut their paws on broken glass.

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

The Larkman Estate is fine. At the social club some of our best customers lived there. It's just the fringe areas that have go a bit dodgy...

Edited by nutty nigel

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

The rough area is now Bowthorpe. The dogs roam the streets wearing sandals in case they cut their paws on broken glass.

Did they move the dodgy families out to Bowthorpe? I remember one family, first three letters Dun, well I say family, they were a tribe, and the yalways seemed to be in the news.

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Did they move the dodgy families out to Bowthorpe? I remember one family, first three letters Dun, well I say family, they were a tribe, and the yalways seemed to be in the news.

Thorney subject KGD. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/09/2023 at 11:54, mrD66M said:

Good job for the mods. Words out of context make communication difficult IMO, more so online than in face-to-face conversation. 

I didn't see much problem with it. It's use to describe the damage/invasion/ruin etc of something is well know and used.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

I didn't see much problem with it. It's use to describe the damage/invasion/ruin etc of something is well know and used.

When was the last time you used that particular word in a conversation with someone you were not very well familiar with (ie, outside your mates' circle, or someone who you're having "a bit of banter" with at the pub over a few drinks)? 

My nephew - soon to go into uni - used it recently when talking about a football team scoring lots of goals against another. Immediately I strongly told him not to use it lightly / out of context / with people he didn't know well - just because it can be used, or sometimes is, it does not mean it should.

It's really strange, you know... People bandying about 'r a p e' in conversation like it is the most trivial thing in the world. But when it actually happens, to them or someone close to them, the word mysteriously disappears.

Maybe we ought to think why that is.

Edited by mrD66M
Clarification

Anyone noticed how many young people now like to use the word nonce ? I'm sure most of them don't actually know what it means.

4 hours ago, mrD66M said:

When was the last time you used that particular word in a conversation with someone you were not very well familiar with (ie, outside your mates' circle, or someone who you're having "a bit of banter" with at the pub over a few drinks)? 

My nephew - soon to go into uni - used it recently when talking about a football team scoring lots of goals against another. Immediately I strongly told him not to use it lightly / out of context / with people he didn't know well - just because it can be used, or sometimes is, it does not mean it should.

It's really strange, you know... People bandying about 'r a p e' in conversation like it is the most trivial thing in the world. But when it actually happens, to them or someone close to them, the word mysteriously disappears.

Maybe we ought to think why that is.

Do you want me to apologise again? It was never my intention to upset anyone and it has deflected away the real point of the topic.

I remember when living in Norwich for my first 23 years that the word t w a t was used liberally to mean idiot or twit. Say it down here in Cornwall and you get looks because it is taken as see you next tuesday.

However, we must not stop using words if they are in context just for the fear of upsetting someone.

• Like 2

Indeed Pops. It seems many still want to make this thread about their understanding of the word you used in a different context to that they are offended by. Probably offending themselves further in the process.

The thread has gone. Some must be happy. You have no need to apologise again. 

This thread is about moderation. 

I think the moderation of the previous thread was wayyyy too heavy handed. We can only surmise as to how it came about. Some seem to believe it to be through diligence of the moderator as he went through all the day's posts. But then some believe in the tooth fairy.

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Do you want me to apologise again? It was never my intention to upset anyone and it has deflected away the real point of the topic.

I remember when living in Norwich for my first 23 years that the word t w a t was used liberally to mean idiot or twit. Say it down here in Cornwall and you get looks because it is taken as see you next tuesday.

However, we must not stop using words if they are in context just for the fear of upsetting someone.

I agree with the last paragraph. And if you stick to that, you do not need to apologise to me, or anyone. There is enough temptation to use "emotionally charged" or "colourful" language to attract attention nowadays by people, when IMO succinct, objective and direct talk does the job.

Let's now talk about the "ruination" the Glazers have imposed on ManUtd, shall we?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrD66M said:

Let's now talk about the "ruination" the Glazers have imposed on ManUtd, shall we?

You cant do that - As NN has stated the thread is about moderation, so not allowed off topic - even if it was the point of the original thread! 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This thread is about moderation. 

I think the moderation of the previous thread was wayyyy too heavy handed. We can only surmise as to how it came about. Some seem to believe it to be through diligence of the moderator as he went through all the day's posts. But then some believe in the tooth fairy.

@nutty nigelWhilst I agree the previous thread didn't need to be removed - maybe an edit would have sufficed.

But do you actually know for a fact the board isn't openly moderated, or have you done an Essex and posted that because it suits your agenda, and made an assumption? 

Whats the going rate for a tooth these day, I know Root canal cost me about £1.5k earlier this year!  Can I claim any of that back from the tooth fairy?

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If you read the Great Yarmouth thread it may become clear. 

NN in yet another swerving question shocker! 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

NN in yet another swerving question shocker! 

The answer is on that thread and is obvious to all by the post that was moderated and the quote that was left.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The answer is on that thread and is obvious to all by the post that was moderated and the quote that was left.

Ill repeat my question,

But do you actually know for a fact the board isn't openly moderated, or have you done an Essex and posted that because it suits your agenda, and made an assumption? 

The answer is on that thread. If the moderation is diligent reading of the posts then the quote would have been picked up. If it was a reported post the quote wouldn't.

Help me out here...

When you report posts what do you hope will happen?