Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Underrated / Overrated

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's the thing, he does the ball-playing stuff very well but the nuts and bolts of his basic defending leave a little to be desired for me, especially compared to Hanley. For me, he's one of quite a few players who's a yard of pace or two short and when you look at the rest of the back four (especially if the other three are Giannoulis, Hanley and Aarons) it's painfully apparent.

Yeah maybe but Zimmerman probably one of my favourite defenders had no pace but was awesome until he was wiped out by a west ham player , which effectively ended his career.

Over rated is Onel, Omobalidele (Although there is a lot of potential there)

Underrated is McLean, Hanley, Sargent, and Gunn

• Like 2

Just now, Canary dwarf said:

Yeah maybe but Zimmerman probably one of my favourite defenders had no pace but was awesome until he was wiped out by a west ham player , which effectively ended his career.

Aye, but Zimbo was better in the air than Gibson, and physically stronger too. (That's not aimed to denigrate Gibson, but Zimbo had the better of it in those two attributes, which somewhat countered his own lack of pace).

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Aye, but Zimbo was better in the air than Gibson, and physically stronger too. (That's not aimed to denigrate Gibson, but Zimbo had the better of it in those two attributes, which somewhat countered his own lack of pace).

I'm not so sure zimbo was great in the air , he was no tim klose who was awesome at corners in both boxes.

19 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Underrated: Grant Hanley. Now we know why we need him - more precisely, his pace and his defensive heading ability. He might not be a classic "bawling" sort of captain, but he's clearly one that leads by quiet example. And he can dish out crap thrown out by more sh*thousing types.

Overrated: Ben Gibson. I don't think he's a bad player, but he's a very continental-style centre-half in that he doesn't win many tackles and looks to pick pockets before breaking out with the ball. Problem is, he's nowhere near as fast as our other centre-halves. Chuck in a relatively quiet goalie in Gunn, and we're five yards deeper with him in the team. He'd suit a counter-attacking team more than us.

Ā 

This post makes me laugh.

The defensive calamity we saw at the end of the season happened while we missed both Hanley and Gibson,Ā  yet one of these players it 'showed why we need him' and the other is apparently overrated.

Gibson the only player with any organisational skills in what was a broken defence . Only defender able to carry the ball forward . Don't count Aarons continually running every which way to almost zero impact . Sure he made some mistakes (who the hell didn't last season) . His game improved markedly prior to the season ending injury . Give him the armband . Sure he will repeat the impact he made in season 1 .

The question posed here has been interpreted by most that standard vis-a-vis over / under rated is 13th in the Championship.

My rating however isĀ as Norwich as an EPL regular team. Hanley and McLean would be crap. There is nothing else to debate other than how quickly the mindset of the club can be changed. Replacement of the City Stand is the kind of big project that would sort this. Come on Attanasio!Ā Ā 

All debateĀ  about current squad quality is pissing in the wind. Support them by all means, but there's a huge amount of work to do, current squad is not good enough for stated vision.Ā 

So, is Norwich City over or under rated as an English professional club the better point to debate?

29 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

So, is Norwich City over or under rated as an English professional club the better point to debate?

The obvious answer to this, on this board is both.........at the same time.