Mr Angry

Titanic tourist sub goes missing

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Reminds me of Nicola Bulley. You think anyone would have cared about her vanishing had she not been a pretty, white, upper middle class woman? Let's say she was an African migrant who vanished. Do you think her name would have been all over the front pages of every newspaper in the country?

Rather like Madeleine Mccann. There are hundreds of children that have gone missing in the past two decades yet we only ever seem to hear about her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-61021379

Sabina Nessa's murder got plenty of attention.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Reminds me of Nicola Bulley. You think anyone would have cared about her vanishing had she not been a pretty, white, upper middle class woman? Let's say she was an African migrant who vanished. Do you think her name would have been all over the front pages of every newspaper in the country?

Rather like Madeleine Mccann. There are hundreds of children that have gone missing in the past two decades yet we only ever seem to hear about her.

Certain cases capture the imagination.

Personally I don't think this one got more press because of skin colour- we've seen similar media frenzy over the trapped Thai kids and the Chilean miners, neither of whom fit the rich, white profile.

I have no doubt if it had just been 'sub has sunk, people dead' the news cycle would have been shorter. But this was so unusual, combined with the extremely slim chance of rescue, further combined with the already outsized place in history that the original Titanic disaster holds that it hits a rolling news sweet spot for want of a better term.

• Like 1

I think Cambridge is close to the truth. I think it is a kind of lottery as to which tragedy gets the coverage. Depends what Constabulary you are in to a certain degree.

I just saw some photos of the debris being brought back:

And:

It's incredible what they can recover at that depth, the rack with all the cables attached for example. 

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2023 at 09:23, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, nobody ever heard of Stephen Lawrence, did they?

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Well they did have to publicise it time and time again so that eventually, the guilty ones didn't keep getting away with it.

14 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

In fact that is a good example of how random factors play a part. The Daily Mail took up the case (and to its credit kept at it) because Stephen Lawrence's father had done some building work for Paul Dacre. Without that it might well have stayed just a local London story and faded away.

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

In fact that is a good example of how random factors play a part. The Daily Mail took up the case (and to its credit kept at it) because Stephen Lawrence's father had done some building work for Paul Dacre. Without that it might well have stayed just a local London story and faded away.

Yes, I'm not saying it was a bad thing, on the contrary, it was a terrible crime and was the UK's George Floyd moment in the sense that we had to face up to egregious injustices in our police force. I just think the original poster must have forgotten just how widespread this case was reported in the media.