Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Music Quiz

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Which American punk wrote some lyrics for Blue Oyster Cult? (And was rumoured to have nearly become a member.) She was a she.

And which Sci-fi novelist links BOC and Hawkwind?

Patti Smith?

Does she count as "punk"?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Was it Money for Nothing?

This a common mistake, if you think about the lyrics it references MTV so Knoppfler would've been predicting the future if he'd written it and made a video before the station launched.

The correct answer is The Buggles.

Michael Nesmith of The Monkees was involved in the early days of MTV.

I've done a lot of pop quizes and these questions come up a lot, the other one is about Michael Nesmith & Tippex.

What's the connection?

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

This a common mistake, if you think about the lyrics it references MTV so Knoppfler would've been predicting the future if he'd written it and made a video before the station launched.

I've done a lot of pop quizes and these questions come up a lot, the other one is about Michael Nesmith & Tippex.

What's the connection?

I am indeed quite wrong! Nowt new there then. 

However, I don't believe the music video was new on the launch date, but yes, having MTV in the lyrics would have been prophetic. 

As for Mike Nesmith and Tippex, I have no clue. 

I think Michael Nesmith’s mother owned the company (TippEx) or invented it, something along those lines?

• Like 1

Ah, on researching, I see that Money for Nothing was the first on MTV Europe,  exactly 6 years later. 

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

What's the connection?

I'd forgotten all about Tippex! 

Can we have the answer now please? 😊

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'd forgotten all about Tippex! 

Can we have the answer now please? 😊

His Mum was credited with inventing what we all call Tippex.

• Thanks 1

How many of you remember The Old Grey Whistle Test? I loved it. 

I heard an old interview with Neil Diamond recently who used to write songs with Carole King at a 'pop factory' for all sorts of acts including The Monkees. The premises had elderly cleaners who wore grey overalls. On a Friday night Diamond and King used to play them their songs of the week. On a Monday night the cleaners would be asked to whistle or sing the ones they remembered. It was called the old grey whistle test and it told the writers if they had written a hit. 

TRUE or FALSE? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How many of you remember The Old Grey Whistle Test? I loved it. 

I heard an old interview with Neil Diamond recently who used to write songs with Carole King at a 'pop factory' for all sorts of acts including The Monkees. The premises had elderly cleaners who wore grey overalls. On a Friday night Diamond and King used to play them their songs of the week. On a Monday night the cleaners would be asked to whistle or sing the ones they remembered. It was called the old grey whistle test and it told the writers if they had written a hit. 

TRUE or FALSE? 

It's true.

There was a really good Carole King documentary on BBC4 recently, it's probably still available on the iplayer.

It featured Cynthia Weill who died recently, she and her husband  Barry Mann were writing at the same time, they wrote 'You've lost that lovin feeling' and 'We gotta get out of this place' amongst others.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's true.

There was a really good Carole King documentary on BBC4 recently, it's probably still available on the iplayer.

It featured Cynthia Weill who died recently, she and her husband  Barry Mann were writing at the same time, they wrote 'You've lost that lovin feeling' and 'We gotta get out of this place' amongst others.

It took me ages to type that😂

There's been some absolutely brilliant performances come from the OGWT. Focus, Roxy Music, Edgar Winter Group, the Damned, Specials, really too many to mention, but this is my absolute favourite...

*hair standing on end every time. That outro...

Try whistling that you old codger 🤣

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

17 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

There's been some absolutely brilliant performances come from the OGWT. Focus, Roxy Music, Edgar Winter Group, the Damned, Specials, really too many to mention, but this is my absolute favourite...

Meatloaf doing Paradise by the Dashboard Light on OGWT is definitely worth looking up.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Leave her alone. She's mine

• Haha 1

Keith Moon puts double the amount of explosive normally used in the drum kit, causing Pete Townshend to become half deaf in one ear.

*10 times the amount...

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Keith Moon puts double the amount of explosive normally used in the drum kit, causing Pete Townshend to become half deaf in one ear.

*10 times the amount...

I live a 10 minute walk away from The Red Lion pub in Hatfield. What did Keith Moon do there?😬

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

Isn that where he accidentally ran over and killed  his chauffeur?

And of course that bloke from East17 had his car run over him in his driveway.

As an aside, the actor Treat Williams has been killed after being knocked of his motorbike.

4 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Isn that where he accidentally ran over and killed  his chauffeur?

It’s treated in a light hearted way around here but seeing it written down is a reminder that it is a grim story. 

• Like 1

'Dear Boy' the biography of Moonie is a brilliant  book. He was clearly a pretty troubled guy who masked it all with substances and doing crazy things. He was never gonna be old.  If they do ever get round to making the long rumoured film they should base it on this book. Sadly no one really wants to see that. They want to see 'moon the loon' so it will be all driving cars into pools, dropping TVs out of window and blowing up hotel toilets!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Herman said:

I live a 10 minute walk away from The Red Lion pub in Hatfield. What did Keith Moon do there?😬

I'll hazard a guess that he had a diet coke with ice and lemon and went home early because he had recording the next day 

• Haha 1