12 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I'm completely torn on this. I love Farke, backed him at all points and think that it was madness to sack him (and did at the time too) as he had a chance of becoming a legend. Whilst I wish he was still here and was never sacked, that's different than trying to go back to something after a break. I have a fear of it tarnishing my memory of him if he were to come back and it not be as amazing second time round (Mike Walker).

Never go back, they say, and there's a lot of truth in it.

It just won't happen anyway because either a) Wagner has a good start and we're looking like we're in with a chance of promotion, in which case there's no vacancy, or b) Wagner fails and gets sacked after a dozen games, by which time Farke will almost certainly have moved to another club.

For good or bad, we seem stuck with Webber and Wagner, and all we can do as fans is hope they come good.

On 05/06/2023 at 08:34, Mello Yello said:

Our success was entirely down to Webbo an' a bit o' Farko an' a bit of our illustrious board....

Our failure was down to....?

The fans, do you not pay attention to what @littleyellowbirdie  has been telling us... he's clever you know.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

On the whole "never go back" theme, I have to keep reminding people about Robins at Coventry...

You do indeed ICF 🙂 and it's an odd one that I cannot fully decide upon but I'm inclined to agree. I often think of Darren Ferguson at Peterborough and Stuart McCall at Bradford. A mixed bag for those two but overall I would argue both successes, though it depends on what you define a success. Sometimes, there just is a connection and DF and NCFC somehow had that. Especially, when you have such a strategy wrapped around the way a manager sets up. Of course we failed in the EPL and ultimately the players were not good enough - evidence being a few were there both times. And our recruitment wasn't good enough (ergo the overall sporting director leadership). Do you just bail out or bat on? Our bailing out of a project clearly has been an error. Was it a gamble? Partially.

I argued when Hughton was sacked that it would have been better to keep him for the Championship because of his record. And I disliked his football. Perhaps changing your manager in the EPL doesn't work well. It didn't for Chelsea, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester. It did work (just) for Everton. Keeping Cooper worked at Forest.

I think ICF we are due a period of 'consolidation' .  maybe an inertia is a better term.

I will be following DF's career assuming he stays in football. It is interesting often to follow other European teams in the course of a season.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2023 at 19:51, yellowrider120 said:

Er you mean like they 'consolidated in the PL' with us???

That'll be why it's a nightmare scenario - that they do it with Leeds and not us. Are you not paying attention? 🤦‍♂️