cambridgeshire canary

**official lappinitup match thread Canaries V Tangerines**

19 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

As a natural pessimist my pre season prediction was 6th to 10th and we've finished short of that

Yeah. I said 6th to 8th and that was before I realised how dreadful the Championship was going to be this season. It really is a catastrophic failure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I feel sorry for the lad, but he seems in an impossible position.

I haven't heard that level of derision for a long while.

He just needs a season away. His confidence is so low even Satan has to look into a pit to see it, and it really shows, that "shot" he had today was horrendous and his passing wasn't much better. 

A season away on loan could be the making of the lad and I really really hope it is because we don't want to see anyone coming through our club fail. 

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Management isn’t solely about picking teams though!   Where’s the fight, the energy, the passion?

I would say lost somewhere between the start of last season and the mid point of this. Fight requires togetherness and organisation - both in terms of the squad and players on the pitch and also in terms of a unified fan base behind the team. Before anyone thinks I am about to blame the fans, Webber-esque style, I think it's more to do with our squad right now and the fans can see it.

I think Webber is guilty of taking that fan factor for granted, and ignored the golden rule of not stating that even if it is the case. And instead work on ways of getting it back.

Smith should have been told to keep his mouth shut for starters on that front. Local press or otherwise. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy if it means just saying everything as you see it.

The damage done there on an already fragile number of our support, did damage that started to pit them vs the fans.

Throw all of this onto putting all the expectation on what is a young squad with few genuine leaders and expecting consistency is madness.

Cantwell hanging around can't have helped. Who knows about Dowell, he could have spoken to Rangers from January, if that is where he ends up. Should have sold them off last summer and brought in more willing players. After all, Wagner's main criticism, and rightly, of Dowell was his desire to get back and tackle. 

It was a roll of the dice against the odds that just didn't pay off when they could have easily reduced those odds with even a minor bit of squad work last summer.

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I think if the answer is Hugill and Sinani then we are over reaching a bit (winking face emoji) 

I don't think they are, or were, on the pitch especially. Some - not me, have argued that they could have added something though. There is someone in the Barnes thread arguing Hugill is better than Ashley Barnes, so there you go.

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or as Webber said during the pre match thingiemabob he's injured

Apparently exactly the same injury that Dean Ashton once had. 

When you have Idah and Sargent you wouldn't try to sign Ashley Barnes unless one of those two is leaving. Sargent clearly sees himself elsewhere, he was quoted as saying that he saw the World Cup as an opportunity to put himself in the shop window. 

14 hours ago, king canary said:

Well the fans did their part by the sounds of it. Good of Wagner to take Teemu off to give a chance for some Webber out chants.

They’d started before that. Teemu showed his disappointment to the Barclay accordingly.
Disappointment was a strong theme yesterday. My young’un’s first game.. Pukki’s her favourite player …  she nearly cried

On 09/05/2023 at 06:16, dylanisabaddog said:

Apparently exactly the same injury that Dean Ashton once had. 

When you have Idah and Sargent you wouldn't try to sign Ashley Barnes unless one of those two is leaving. Sargent clearly sees himself elsewhere, he was quoted as saying that he saw the World Cup as an opportunity to put himself in the shop window. 

Well the Championship is a shop window, he’s put himself in a charity shop window with that touch!