3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well quite, but one of your reasonings for that included us letting Josh Martin leave so, swings and roundabouts eh.

Just said that touting him out on a permanent at 20 felt premature (which was his age this summer). Considering Cantwell was 21 when he made his league debut for us, and Placheta still doesn't look like a footballer at 25.

On 01/05/2023 at 17:48, Budapest Canary said:

You've beaten mne to posting this. Apparently Todd's working hard to maintain his contoversial image up North. 

I checked out the clip but can't see what the fuss is about. Where's the controversial bit? He quickly sprayed his hair with some water and took a sip, then handed the bottle to the next guy who took a sip.

How shocking, how dare he! Bald people everywhere must be vomiting with rage after seeing such tactlessness! He should just play football instead of highlighting that he has hair! Water goes in the mouth! 

We could have done with Todd Cantwell at his best these last few weeks.

Pity all-round. The boy or the club? The club or the boy? The boy or the c ..... ? etc.

I must say that he does seem to have settled in quite well up there. Many doubted his fit.

I watched it again and nearly fainted when I saw Cantwell moving the bag. So shocking.

In all seriousness though, is this all it takes to get worked up these days? Any excuse will do it seems. However I suspect if anyone else had done that nobody would bat an eye.

If Hartson or Keane would have reacted to such non-events in the way you suggest they would've been sent off in every game they ever played in. It used to be a mans game, I'm pretty sure it would have taken more than slightly moving a bag to get that strong a reaction from the likes of Roy Keane.

The guy was Japanese btw, so you might be right about him being used to a very high level of civility. Different story if he had been Chinese.

29 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

The Celtic player was reaching for a bottle of water inside the Rangers kitbag, Cantwell immediately grabbed the bag away from him and threw it aside. Like a petulant child.

This is the point, its about him moving the bag. 

I don't think it's petulant or childish, professional sport is about marginal gains, and making sure his team don't share their refreshments is all part of the game. It makes it easy to see why Celtic fans wouldn't like this but I'm sure its endearing to a rangers fan who wouldn't be caught sharing a drink with the opposition fans. 

9 minutes ago, greendoor said:

This is the point, its about him moving the bag. 

I don't think it's petulant or childish, professional sport is about marginal gains, and making sure his team don't share their refreshments is all part of the game. It makes it easy to see why Celtic fans wouldn't like this but I'm sure its endearing to a rangers fan who wouldn't be caught sharing a drink with the opposition fans. 

And its celtic v rangers. Pretty sure he's putting on a show for the rangers fans.

• Like 1

hang on, he moved a rangers bag away from a Celtic player trying to get some water from it? How is this shocking? I mean, don't Celtic have their own bag and why would you give a rival player some water. Screw that, they're here to win (although they didn't win)

• Like 1

Yawn. He moved a frickin' bag for Pete's sakes. In an old firm derby. A cup semi-final.

And you seriously expect his own manager should give him an earful for that?

As has been said it's about marginal gains taken wherever possible. This didn't even register. The opposing player clearly didn't think anything of it. Some fainthearted people (not you specifically) evidently want to create drama out of nothing.

As a footnote, there is no general, ubiquitous Asian culture just as there is no pan-european culture. Finnish culture is very different from Swedish culture, just as English culture is different from French culture. In the same way you are very far from the truth if you make the bold assertion that "Asian culture" holds good manners in higher esteem than what is the norm elsewhere. China and Japan aren't the same.

Edited by ÅlandicCanary
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 09:36, Harry53 said:

Todd has been playing well at Rangers and if he had stayed with us,  being in the right frame of mind,  we would have done better than 1 win in 10. You seem to hate him for his youthfulness using social media,  but overlooking that he is a very talented player,  far better than anybody we have this season in midfield 

Better than Sara? Good one 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Better than Sara? Good one 

An attacking midfield 3 of Cantwell, Sara and Dowell behind Pukki would have been far better than what was served up for most of the season, injuries aside.

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

An attacking midfield 3 of Cantwell, Sara and Dowell behind Pukki would have been far better than what was served up for most of the season, injuries aside.

Total conjecture I’m afraid. He wasn’t being picked so he can’t be said to have been a better option. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have been, but it’s just not possible to say that he would either. Based on his form for the two entire seasons prior then the evidence that he is better than Hernandez, Sargeant even out of position, Nunez, Dowell, etc. was simply not there to say he would’ve been better. Perhaps that’s why he wasn’t ever picked. If not picked for other reasons we will never know, but I’m still very glad we are rid of him.