Sign in to follow this  
thegali

Squad comparison pre Webber and now.

The great love in began on Radio Norfolk- a win  against Blackburn  and some on the Radio said we now  on the way to the premier- hope they are right ?????? 

Edited by baldy09

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Eh????? We have been forced into 'record player sales' to make up for the fact that we don't have rich owners and to cover for the unavoidable losses made due to COVID. For logical and reasonable people the fact that we've managed to stay in the same position in spite of continually being forced to sell our best players would be evidence of a job well done.

Of course - this message board isn't anything approaching logical or reasonable.

We didn’t need to sell Buendia due to covid or any shortfall, we did it to roll the dice on other players that didn’t work out. 

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

We didn’t need to sell Buendia due to covid or any shortfall, we did it to roll the dice on other players that didn’t work out. 

No we didn't - Buendia demanded to leave - we actually did very well to hang on to him for our second promotion season in the Championship. What's your opinion on the overall point that I made?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No we didn't - Buendia demanded to leave - we actually did very well to hang on to him for our second promotion season in the Championship. What's your opinion on the overall point that I made?

That we should be pleased to be a team barely hanging on to challenging for top 6 again? I don’t agree.

We rode out COVID during a time of two back to back PL windfalls, one’s that the majority of Championship teams didn’t have. PL money dwarfs revenue from tickets as we all know.

We also had a large number of highly sellable assets and we cashed in over the last few years.

There has been a number of successes since Webber took over, I’m not suggesting there hasn’t. The issue is what has occurred since the Buendia sale and the fact that after all that initial progress we now sit back arguably at square one, that isn’t a logical or reasonable place to be IMO.

33 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I certainly won't be slitting my wrists over it, no. There's more to come from a number of our players. A decent holding midfielder will make the difference.

Who is?

A decent holding midfielder could have made the difference at any point since Skipp left.

27 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That we should be pleased to be a team barely hanging on to challenging for top 6 again? I don’t agree.

We rode out COVID during a time of two back to back PL windfalls, one’s that the majority of Championship teams didn’t have. PL money dwarfs revenue from tickets as we all know.

We also had a large number of highly sellable assets and we cashed in over the last few years.

There has been a number of successes since Webber took over, I’m not suggesting there hasn’t. The issue is what has occurred since the Buendia sale and the fact that after all that initial progress we now sit back arguably at square one, that isn’t a logical or reasonable place to be IMO.

It is to any sensible person. We've had to continually weaken the team to balance the books by selling our best players. And in case you've had your head buried 10 feet deep in the sand for the last 5 years you would know that every season it's becoming more and more difficult for a club with our funding model to compete. Teams in the Premier League are now the playthings of COUNTRIES - when they're not merely the playthings of multi-billionaires. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

It is to any sensible person. We've had to continually weaken the team to balance the books by selling our best players. And in case you've had your head buried 10 feet deep in the sand for the last 5 years you would know that every season it's becoming more and more difficult for a club with our funding model to compete. Teams in the Premier League are now the playthings of COUNTRIES - when they're not merely the playthings of multi-billionaires. 

No we haven’t. That’s objectively untrue, we were not under financial pressure to weaken the team in PL seasons.

We aren’t in the PL. We are in the Championship with one of the biggest competitive wage bills and transfer outlays this season.

I’m aware of the financial pressures of our model, it’s why what’s done with the limited funds is important.

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

No we haven’t. That’s objectively untrue, we were not under financial pressure to weaken the team in PL seasons.

We aren’t in the PL. We are in the Championship with one of the biggest competitive wage bills and transfer outlays this season.

I’m aware of the financial pressures of our model, it’s why what’s done with the limited funds is important.

You're right about our seasons in the PL. The trouble was we had a grand total of £10 million to strengthen our squad for the Premier League - the financial equivalent of 5p found down the back of the sofa when compared with the other teams in the division. 

We had a net total of £27 million to strengthen the squad the second time around - the financial equivalent of a fiver found down the back of the sofa when compared with the other teams in the division. 

We were under big financial pressure to sell for the Championship seasons, including at the end of Webber's first full season in charge when we had to massively weaken the team by selling Maddison. 

Buendia sale was two summers ago. That coupled with the failure to re-sign Skipp on loan or adequately replace him was an issue for the summer of 2021. It's quite clear that the replacements didn't work. And we were relegated. If you draw a line there (and I understand people who don't want to and still crave a pound of flesh) the question becomes did the summer of 2022 improve the squad?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're right about our seasons in the PL. The trouble was we had a grand total of £10 million to strengthen our squad for the Premier League - the financial equivalent of 5p found down the back of the sofa when compared with the other teams in the division. 

We had a net total of £27 million to strengthen the squad the second time around - the financial equivalent of a fiver found down the back of the sofa when compared with the other teams in the division. 

We were under big financial pressure to sell for the Championship seasons, including at the end of Webber's first full season in charge when we had to massively weaken the team by selling Maddison. 

You seem to think that isn’t all taken into account when considering where we were when he took over to where we are now?

The first PL season was largely understandable, while people were frustrated we performed quite so poorly I personally generally saw an understanding from the supporter base of what had occurred.

Ditto you don’t see people really complaining we sold Maddison or the sales after that first PL season, they were all largely understood in context as reasonable from what I’ve seen.

The last 2 years are different. That second summer was the chance to actually continue to improve upon what had been achieved in the recent past.

I think it’s reasonable to look at the strength of that squad that was inherited vs the one now and wonder what has notably been improved about it, especially given few Championship clubs have benefited like we have over that period.

If it’s a largely subjective argument over which squad is better, that’s kind of an answer in itself.

11 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Who is?

A decent holding midfielder could have made the difference at any point since Skipp left.

Exactly. So it's really just one missing ingredient. Perspective, dear boy.

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Exactly. So it's really just one missing ingredient. Perspective, dear boy.

What utter drivel you talk. What was your point when chastising the fact the previous team made it to 8th on 70 points?

It’s not just one missing ingredient is it. This team now looks fundamentally no more competitive than the much maligned one that was inherited, and now with many of the same structural problems.

I think Wagner is a good coach, I have faith we will rebuild and go again. However I don’t see you offering any points to counter the OPs position.

4 hours ago, Monty13 said:

What utter drivel you talk. What was your point when chastising the fact the previous team made it to 8th on 70 points?

It’s not just one missing ingredient is it. This team now looks fundamentally no more competitive than the much maligned one that was inherited, and now with many of the same structural problems.

I think Wagner is a good coach, I have faith we will rebuild and go again. However I don’t see you offering any points to counter the OPs position.

No, it's people like you going completely over the top. We had a decent win against Blackburn with a clean sheet yesterday away from home. The problem is people like you with your never-ending tiresome melodrama and hyperbole.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

No, it's people like you going completely over the top. We had a decent win against Blackburn with a clean sheet yesterday away from home. The problem is people like you with your never-ending tiresome melodrama and hyperbole.

What melodrama and hyperbole?

Do you want some straw for building material?

How is comparing the squads from before the current regime to now and not seeing obvious noticeable improvement a melodramatic or hyperbolic position?

You want hyperbole, it’s why you said “I certainly won't be slitting my wrists over it” even though absolutely no one suggested anywhere near that negativity. It was incredibly crass and disrespectful in the modern parlance.

You dismiss every question and criticism as over the top so you don’t actually have to discuss it and have your position challenged.

Personally I feel Webber gambles on signings too much. Michael Bailey wrote an article saying we had the funds to sign around 3 high quality players before the 2021 season. Against Farkes wishes, Webber went with quantity in the hope a few would come good. They didn't.

Brentford spent £31m the same season, so I don't believe funding is the issue.

Edited by thegali
spelling

6 minutes ago, thegali said:

Personally I feel Webber gambles on signings too much. Michael Bailey wrote an article saying we had the funds to sign around 3 high quality players before the 2021 season. Against Farkes wishes, Webber went with quantity in the hope a few would come good. They didn't.

We might have had the funds to pay the transfer fees, but we would have to pay their wages as well. And the trouble is that if you're signing players for £20 million a pop you're going to be competing with a lot of other Premier League teams who will have far deeper pockets to offer higher wages to those players. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thegali said:

When did Farke say this?

We had the money for wages. We where in for Robert Andrich, but refused his wage demands. We then panicked and got Normann who's wages were not far short of what Andrich was after.

Farke wanted just three signings; a marquee centre back, a Skipp replacement DM and a Buendia replacement forward. All in the Bailey article.

Edited by thegali
spelling

On 07/04/2023 at 00:03, Google Bot said:

I think the current squad is stronger, for what it's worth - trouble is, look how many of those players aren't available for selection:

• 1 Tim Krul
  • 2 Max Aarons
  • 3 Sam Byram
  • 4 Andrew Omobamidele
  • 5 Grant Hanley
  • 6 Ben Gibson
  • 7 Milot Rashica
  • 8 Isaac Hayden
  • 9 Jordan Hugill
  • 10 Kieran Dowell
  • 11 Adam Idah
  • 14 Todd Cantwell
  • 15 Sam McCallum
  • 17 Gabriel Sara
  • 19 Jacob Sørensen
  • 21 Danel Sinani
  • 22 Teemu Pukki
  • 23 Kenny McLean
  • 24 Josh Sargent
  • 25 Onel Hernández
  • 27 Jonathan Rowe
  • 28 Angus Gunn
  • 30 Dimitris Giannoulis
  • 33 Michael McGovern
  • 42 Tony Springett
  • 45 Jonathan Tomkinson
  • 46 Liam Gibbs

In fact, why is Cantwell on there and not Tzolis?!  THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!! lol :classic_biggrin:

I saw a game on Friday afternoon  where the ‘unavailable’ number 25 played very well!!

On 08/04/2023 at 15:13, hogesar said:

Yes, this squad is better.

More quality in depth now. Don’t think the starting xi is any stronger though.

Ruddy vs Krul/Gunn - not much in it.

Cbs - not much in it. I’d probably take two of Bassong, Bennett or a fit Klose over two of Hanley, Gibson, Omo but not by much. 

Full backs the only area we’re much stronger now.

2017 Howson and Tettey start every week if in this squad.

Wingers/attacking midfielders - considering Maddison hadn’t hit his stride by then, about equal, but not convinced any of the current lot will be the next Maddison.

Pukki at his best miles ahead of 2017 options but obviously he’s leaving. Sargent no better. 

With Pukki leaving we probably need four quality first team signings in the summer. Cb, cm, attacking player (ideally creative number 10 type, but even a quality winger)  and striker. 

Edited by Aggy

On 09/04/2023 at 12:37, Robert N. LiM said:

that would have been a huge statement of intent

Reminds me of a joke which always make me titter.

A man goes into a doctors. He says: "Doctor, doctor, some days I wake up thinking I'm a wigwam, other days I wake up and think I'm a tepee".

The doctor says: "Relax, you're two tents". 

• Like 1