Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Tribute Bands

There is a plethora of bands ready to copy famous combos from the past or even present.

Does anyone have a favourite? One you think is comparable to the original.

My Grandson when he was 15 used to jam down the local pub. Very accomplished musicians. The drummer from Steve Hackett's band. The bass player used to play withy Eddie Jordan's band. I remember his first jam was American Woman. I did some singing but never really knew how good we sounded. But knew we had a great rhythm section behind.

This band is as good as the original in terms of musicianship but of course didn't write the songs. Surely even Purple likes a bit of Steely Dan?

Edited by keelansgrandad

I've seen Who's Who a few times. They're great fun. Having only seen the actual who in fields/arena's/stadiums its great to see them in  small places which you'd never do with the actual Who. Not sure if they're still about. 

The AC/DC tribute who played in Norwich last week were great apparently. 

Elvana. Nirvana fronted by Elvis. Great fun!

I’ve posted this band before, Stranglers covers band called Straighten Out. Used to be called Four More Heroes. My mate Phil is the frontman, bass player is Shaggy, who apparently used to provide The Stranglers with “substances”.

https://www.straightenoutband.co.uk

• Like 1

There's a few good punk tribute bands doing the rounds. 

Sex Pistols Expose (formerly SP Experience) Six Little Fingers, London Calling, Jam'd and a Band called Malice.

All doing a good job of keeping the original punk ethos going.

I'm not 100% keen on the cabaret that is the Damned and a 70+ year old Charlie Harper and his UK Subs doesn't have the same draw as it did in late 1970's.

32 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

There's a few good punk tribute bands doing the rounds. 

Sex Pistols Expose (formerly SP Experience) Six Little Fingers, London Calling, Jam'd and a Band called Malice.

All doing a good job of keeping the original punk ethos going.

I'm not 100% keen on the cabaret that is the Damned and a 70+ year old Charlie Harper and his UK Subs doesn't have the same draw as it did in late 1970's.

I vowed to never see The Damned again after they played in Kentish Town and finished with a 5 minute drum solo that left the audience cold. No applause at the end of the set, nobody asking for an encore.

As it happened they were on the bill when Green Day played in Hyde Park a few years ago, the set was much better-maybe because Rat Scabies had left by then!

Only seen UK Subs once, July 2007, a benefit gig for Paul Fox of The Ruts. There were about 7 or 8 other bands playing so the Subs only played 5 songs. Charlie Harper was at Rebellion last year on his record stall, still seems to be well respected in the punk community.

• Like 1

Saw SLF the other week at Epic Magdalen Street....Great gig and although Jake is advancing in years his vocal chords and range are still evident....Great gig, and Slim Jim Phantom accompanied with his wifey on bass as the SLF support, were real good fun....Last time I saw Slim Jim was quite a few years ago at the Waterfront playing drums for Dead Men Walking with Mike Peters, Glenn Matlock, Kirk Brandon and Bruce Watson....brilliant.... 

Edited by Mello Yello
  • Like 1

My band supported the Lightness at the Waterfront in the early 2000s, who were a cover band of the Darkness funnily enough.

They were truly awful. I think they only covered four of their songs before doing covers of other bands not very well.

On 02/04/2023 at 20:18, keelansgrandad said:

There is a plethora of bands ready to copy famous combos from the past or even present.

Does anyone have a favourite? One you think is comparable to the original.

My Grandson when he was 15 used to jam down the local pub. Very accomplished musicians. The drummer from Steve Hackett's band. The bass player used to play withy Eddie Jordan's band. I remember his first jam was American Woman. I did some singing but never really knew how good we sounded. But knew we had a great rhythm section behind.

This band is as good as the original in terms of musicianship but of course didn't write the songs. Surely even Purple likes a bit of Steely Dan?

Love the Dan....

I watched Limehouse Lizzy at the Waterfront years ago. I remember them being really good but then I wasn't in a very objective frame of mind at the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I watched Limehouse Lizzy at the Waterfront years ago. I remember them being really good but then I wasn't in a very objective frame of mind at the time.

Saw them with my brother at a pub in Watford, my brother went up to the guitarist (Scott Gorham lookalike) during the interval and complimented him on his hair-very embarrassing 😳