Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

A Consistent Style of Play

Apparently according to the Club this is what we want from our manager. Do we?

I would like a manager who can mix it up. If we can have goals like Redmond at Wembley great but also quite happy with Holty's rambo goal at Anfield.

Exactly. So the rebel idea should be to have a manager who could mix it up rather than simply follow the standard sterility of modern football.

I thought Webber wanted continuity of football philosophy from the minute went out in search of Farke, which is why it beggars belief that he opted for smith.

The biggest football philosophy u-turn since we appointed Hughton to replace Lambert. 

I hate saying this but I quite liked lamberts style. If we could only clone some kind of hybrid of Farke and Lambert, we’d have fun times to look forward to I reckon. 

• Like 1

Did you miss the 13 months of Dean Smith plucking names and tactics out of a hat? If we've learnt anything it's that we need some consistency and continuity. 

Purely by chance just watched highlights of the Wembley play-off v Boro. The team we put out that day were light years ahead of anything we have seen this season. Not only from the angle of style and teamwork but individually every player looked far better than any of the current squad. A sad but true reflection of how badly we have fallen away since the days of Neil and Farke.

• Like 3

This is very worryingly as it lends itself to a Russell Martin 😫

I suppose you could equally say Dyche 😜

A lot depends on the individuals within the team and as mentioned that Play-off final team blows the current lot out of the water. Goals could literally come from anywhere in that team.

You want an ability to mix things up where necessary yes, but that has to be built on solid foundations.

Case in point, suddenly starting with traditional wing backs against Luton despite not having done so in a year previously. Sometimes play with a #10, sometimes don't, sometimes start Dowell in CM, start Sinani 2 games running then disappears from the squad next match. Constantly tinkering is not a playing style.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This is very worryingly as it lends itself to a Russell Martin 😫

I suppose you could equally say Dyche 😜

A lot depends on the individuals within the team and as mentioned that Play-off final team blows the current lot out of the water. Goals could literally come from anywhere in that team.

Funny as Swansea fans have been saying almost the same things we have been saying about Smith about Russell