Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Emi doesn't make it...

7 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s not always sunshine and rainbows when you leave for money. 

He’d have started every game if he wasn’t injured for us last season. He can have no complaints and can’t care that much.

Edited by Monty13

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I have an image in my head of him swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck now. 

👍 Exactly this. One of those things you absorb in childhood and it stays with you.

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

He’ll be crying all the way to the bank.

This. I'm sure anytime he get's shafted on the bench for Villa he feels sad for a breif second before remembering he's probably being more than double what we paid him.

2 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Missed out on a place at the World Cup. Thought he'd be doing quite well lately?

I would suggest that whilst "doing quite well lately" is subjective, most people would agree that he isn't close, at the moment, to earning that even.

He's made 14 EPL appearances this season and completed 90mins just once. 8 appearances have come from the bench as a sub. 5 of the starts he was subbed off midway through the 2nd half. He has one goal involvement which is the goal he scored against Everton in the 2nd fixture of the season back in August. He has started the last three games, but I would say that is far from enough to make the Argentina squad.

Argentina are third in the FIFA world rankings, Brazil are 1st, Belgium are 2nd. France follow them in 4th and England in 5th.

He will also be 26 in December. A lot of people consider that to be around the time that players begin their peak period, where they still have pace but equally have enough experience to have a good reading of the game etc. 26-30/31 is generally considered the peak period for a footballer. Some adapt well, some don't rely so heavily upon pace which is why you see goalkeepers, CB's and certain types of strikers able to keep going to a decent enough level.

I suspect some may disagree, but for me, he simply hasn't kept progressing at the same rate of knots that he was here with a team built around the way he likes to play. He's got a new chance under a new manager, so who knows what could come next, but it's too late to get him into the Argentine World Cup squad. 

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s not always sunshine and rainbows when you leave for money. 

I really don't get this criticism. Even when you take the money out of the equation, he was too good to stay here forever and Villa, even as a mid-table Premier League club, is a step up from us. 

Lots of our fans complain about the lack of ambition from our club, yet expect our players to have no ambition by staying here when bigger clubs come calling. It just makes no sense. 

• Like 2

People have the hump over Buendia leaving but root for Maddison?

Not sure what the difference is. They both went to bigger/better clubs for lots more money.

And you'd have to say that Buendia "did his bit" for Norwich more so than Maddison.

For me it's just nice to see these quality players in a Norwich shirt for as long as it lasts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GJP said:

People have the hump over Buendia leaving but root for Maddison?

Not sure what the difference is. They both went to bigger/better clubs for lots more money.

And you'd have to say that Buendia "did his bit" for Norwich more so than Maddison.

For me it's just nice to see these quality players in a Norwich shirt for as long as it lasts.

I feel people are just more pissed that he went to Villa of all teams only to end up on the bench when many of us had hopes he would join a top six team and be a regular first team starter.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I really don't get this criticism. Even when you take the money out of the equation, he was too good to stay here forever and Villa, even as a mid-table Premier League club, is a step up from us. 

Lots of our fans complain about the lack of ambition from our club, yet expect our players to have no ambition by staying here when bigger clubs come calling. It just makes no sense. 

At the time we sold Emi to Villa they were a direct relegation rival to us.(remember smith got the sack from there because they were in the relegation battle.) So while they may be bigger in terms of finances or crowd attendance at the moment we sold him to them on the basis of both being premiership sides our ambitions were similar in regards to we just wanted to stay in the league. I could understand an argument about wanting to go and be ambitious, if he’d gone to a side that had a chance of winning things such as Arsenal but Villa haven’t won anything for a long time and chances are still won’t. So the argument that went because he was ambitious isn’t really one I would hold in much validity. 

I cannot begrudge him leaving for money I’ve done the same thing in my work career but what I would say is money doesn’t always equate to happiness. I think on a personal level he would of been happier and more fulfilled as an individual being a star for us than a bit part player for Villa and probably would have earned a much bigger move had he kept us up. 

Edited by By Hook or Ian crook

52 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

At the time we sold Emi to Villa they were a direct relegation rival to us.(remember smith got the sack from there because they were in the relegation battle.) 

Villa had just finished 11th and most pundits were expecting them to spend big and push on. 

At the time Buendia signed for Villa, they were definitely in a better place than us on both a footballing and financial level, and were not a relegation rival.

The 'he only moved for money' line is total nonsense, but then again, people still throw the same accusation at Dean Ashton so I'm not really surprised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Villa had just finished 11th and most pundits were expecting them to spend big and push on. 

At the time Buendia signed for Villa, they were definitely in a better place than us on both a footballing and financial level, and were not a relegation rival.

The 'he only moved for money' line is total nonsense, but then again, people still throw the same accusation at Dean Ashton so I'm not really surprised.

There’s no harm moving for money