Sign in to follow this  
TheBaldOne66

Carlton Morris

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

100%

The most irritating thing is a lot of those complaining about Morris doing well now are the same one's complaining about Idah's 5 year contract. I'm not surer you can have it both ways.

As if this season isn’t disappointing enough, there are those with a flagellance problem who have to shuffle around the forum releasing their noxious vapidity

Edited by GenerationA47

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

100%

The most irritating thing is a lot of those complaining about Morris doing well now are the same one's complaining about Idah's 5 year contract. I'm not surer you can have it both ways.

Except Carlton Morris never looked like a donkey, and Idah seldom doesn't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Except Carlton Morris never looked like a donkey, and Idah seldom doesn't.

At age 22 Carlton Morris was struggling to score goals in league 1 (before his injury), he is now 27 going on 28 and it is only in the last two seasons that he has been scoring freely, in five years time Adam Idah will be 27..............

• Like 2

Idah now is ahead of where Morris was at the same age.

In fact, Idah's CV and goalscoring record now is very similar to Morris' at the age of 25 when he left, but Idah's is at a higher level. 

Anyone complaining about letting Morris go and keeping Idah is just using hindsight, as nobody would've suggested selling 20-year-old Idah and keeping 25-year-old Morris as the time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Idah now is ahead of where Morris was at the same age.

In fact, Idah's CV and goalscoring record now is very similar to Morris' at the age of 25 when he left, but Idah's is at a higher level. 

Anyone complaining about letting Morris go and keeping Idah is just using hindsight, as nobody would've suggested selling 20-year-old Idah and keeping 25-year-old Morris as the time.

If goals scored is the only thing we judge forwards on then Rickie Lambert was better than Firmino.

Carlton Morris is simply a far better footballer than Adam Idah in every way. He can hold up the ball, bring others into play, draw the foul, involve himself with link up play, has quick feet, close control, can trap a ball. 

And none of this suddenly became apparent when he left us, he was still our player when he was MK Dons....

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

At age 22 Carlton Morris was struggling to score goals in league 1

Out of interest, do you think a 22 year old Adam Idah would find scoring in league 1 easy?

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If goals scored is the only thing we judge forwards on then Rickie Lambert was better than Firmino.

Carlton Morris is simply a far better footballer than Adam Idah in every way. He can hold up the ball, bring others into play, draw the foul, involve himself with link up play, has quick feet, close control, can trap a ball. 

And none of this suddenly became apparent when he left us, he was still our player when he was MK Dons....

For the bits in bold, these are things that come with experience, especially for physical strikers like Idah and Morris. It's probably why we've given Idah a five-year contract. 

For the ones in italics, I'm not convinced Morris is/was better at those things than Idah. If you're basing it solely off the video, then I reckon you'd be able to find five clips of Idah doing those things if you gave him a full season in League One.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

For the bits in bold, these are things that come with experience, especially for physical strikers like Idah and Morris. It's probably why we've given Idah a five-year contract. 

For the ones in italics, I'm not convinced Morris is/was better at those things than Idah. If you're basing it solely off the video, then I reckon you'd be able to find five clips of Idah doing those things if you gave him a full season in League One.

Exactly this.

22 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Out of interest, do you think a 22 year old Adam Idah would find scoring in league 1 easy?

Who knows, maybe,maybe not, even if he didn't he would be in exactly the same position as Carlton Morris at age 22........

3 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Who knows, maybe,maybe not, even if he didn't he would be in exactly the same position as Carlton Morris at age 22........

Perhaps he needs some loans to that level himself to learn the game. I fear that he'll be needed here, but a season long loan to Shrewsbury might be exactly what he needs. If we were to send him out for a couple of seasons his 5 year contract might begin to make more sense. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Where to start? 

Goals scored - as a striker, yes, it's pretty important. You can be an absolute whizz on the ball but if you don't score enough goals... In fact, and I believe it was said by some managers too, if Hoolahan had been more prolific, there is no doubt he would have moved on from us in a flash, instead he gave us all of his best years.

Rickie Lambert Vs Firmino is a very poor comparison considering the level at which Lambert scored the majority of his career goals in England, that's not to say he was rubbish. Lambert scored 21 premier league career goals (wiki figures).  Firmino scored 27 in one premier league season.

I also think you forget that one of the main reasons that Morris was released was not because he was thought to be rubbish, but that he had struggled, to play more than the majority of two seasons due to injury problems. At 20-21 he went on loan to Hamilton and made 33 appearances. That was the first of only two seasons where he would make more than 30 appearances, the 2nd being 2017-18 when he made 54 for Shrewsbury in league one, scoring 10 goals.

For MK Dons he scored 3 league goals in 18 league games. In total he made 24 appearances that season, the other 6 all being in cup competitions. Though I suspect a few of those will have been sub appearances too.

You don't just let players go because you think they are rubbish, you also move them on because you have to weigh up whether they are holding back opportunities for other players by keeping them in the squad, whether you think their injuries are likely to clear up... whether all of that skill and ability will materialise into consistently being able to get goals. 

At the time we had Pukki and no one is going to have ousted Pukki up front, properly, for an entire season, until he is no longer in the building. It is only this season, right now, that this is even a discussion. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Where to start? 

Goals scored - as a striker, yes, it's pretty important. You can be an absolute whizz on the ball but if you don't score enough goals... In fact, and I believe it was said by some managers too, if Hoolahan had been more prolific, there is no doubt he would have moved on from us in a flash, instead he gave us all of his best years.

Rickie Lambert Vs Firmino is a very poor comparison considering the level at which Lambert scored the majority of his career goals in England, that's not to say he was rubbish. Lambert scored 21 premier league career goals (wiki figures).  Firmino scored 27 in one premier league season.

I also think you forget that one of the main reasons that Morris was released was not because he was thought to be rubbish, but that he had struggled, to play more than the majority of two seasons due to injury problems. At 20-21 he went on loan to Hamilton and made 33 appearances. That was the first of only two seasons where he would make more than 30 appearances, the 2nd being 2017-18 when he made 54 for Shrewsbury in league one, scoring 10 goals.

For MK Dons he scored 3 league goals in 18 league games. In total he made 24 appearances that season, the other 6 all being in cup competitions. Though I suspect a few of those will have been sub appearances too.

You don't just let players go because you think they are rubbish, you also move them on because you have to weigh up whether they are holding back opportunities for other players by keeping them in the squad, whether you think their injuries are likely to clear up... whether all of that skill and ability will materialise into consistently being able to get goals. 

At the time we had Pukki and no one is going to have ousted Pukki up front, properly, for an entire season, until he is no longer in the building. It is only this season, right now, that this is even a discussion. 

Idah needs to go out on loan ASAP.

If he doesn't he will never be as good as Carlton Morris.