NeymarSmith

Next ncfc manager options, from a non DS happy clapper

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think Smith has very wisely decided to keep his head down and not really engage with the fans any more than he has to until things are looking sufficiently better that the mood has lifted. His job is to manage and get results; there's really no point wasting energy trying to win over people who don't want to be won over. 

He may never win the fans over so probably best having a mug tea and getting on with the job. 🙃 

Last season ended in acrimony about Webber and the board. This season it's about Smith and the football. 

Is the problem even football based or are people pee d off in general?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I get it Dan. I haven't taken to Smith. I took to Farke straight away and was sorry when he was sacked. 

If you think about your favourite manager and the one you liked least the next one will most likely be somewhere between those two. That's the gamble you take. Smith is second in the league with the players playing for him so it's quite a gamble.

With the dreadful standard of this league, the fact that we have spent two of the last three seasons in the EPL, we had a net spend on the squad this summer unlike the other two relegated teams, have either the most valuable or second most valuable squad and expensive wage bill depending on what source you believe, being only 3 points away from 7th place having not turned in a decent full 90 minutes of football in 13 matches is a major cause for concern.

I can understand not sacking him whilst we remain in the top two, but I genuinely think they'd be hard pressed to appoint a manager who wouldn't improve us. I think any of the three listed here, or the others that have (or apparently haven't) been mentioned frequently recent weeks, Robins, Warne, Corboran, etc, would increase our chances of getting promoted. 

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

He may never win the fans over so probably best having a mug tea and getting on with the job. 🙃 

Last season ended in acrimony about Webber and the board. This season it's about Smith and the football. 

Is the problem even football based or are people pee d off in general?

That's a really interesting question. Life's definitely hard for a lot of people at the moment, for sure, so maybe that puts even more pressure on the football to provide some escapism that's somewhat undermined by the brutal economics of the game and ,dare I say it, possibly a feeling that statistics is killing the romance of the game, in much the same way as science has killed God. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So we went 9 games unbeaten, sat 2nd in the league on 2 points per game then these threads are the result of one loss.

What will happen if we lose next week too?

This thread isnt the result of loss, it figuratively states that within the op! You Binner 😉 Im just saying despite of where we are and present league position I'm not a huge fan of Ds but am unsure who else I'd want with any real confidence who is also realistic.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

With the dreadful standard of this league, the fact that we have spent two of the last three seasons in the EPL, we had a net spend on the squad this summer unlike the other two relegated teams, have either the most valuable or second most valuable squad and expensive wage bill depending on what source you believe, being only 3 points away from 7th place having not turned in a decent full 90 minutes of football in 13 matches is a major cause for concern.

I can understand not sacking him whilst we remain in the top two, but I genuinely think they'd be hard pressed to appoint a manager who wouldn't improve us. I think any of the three listed here, or the others that have (or apparently haven't) been mentioned frequently recent weeks, Robins, Warne, Corboran, etc, would increase our chances of getting promoted. 

I don't get the 'dreadful standard' of the league. I will accept it if two or three teams storm clear. But as it stands it looks a competitive league to me.

I also don't get the love in for Warne and Robins. What have they ever done that's better than Smith?

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's a really interesting question. Life's definitely hard for a lot of people at the moment, for sure, so maybe that puts even more pressure on the football to provide some escapism that's somewhat undermined by the brutal economics of the game and ,dare I say it, possibly a feeling that statistics is killing the romance of the game, in much the same way as science has killed God. 

Science hasn't killed God. Science can lead us to an origin. That may or not be God. The jury's out 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

This thread isnt the result of loss, it figuratively states that within the op! You Binner 😉 Im just saying despite of where we are and present league position I'm not a huge fan of Ds but am unsure who else I'd want with any real confidence who is also realistic.

It's just the amount of new threads like this since we lost. But to be fair many of the anti Smith are still keeping their powder dry. Maybe there will be fireworks on Nov 5th. 

Remember, remember avoid defeat at Rotherham at all costs 🎆🔥🎇

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't get the 'dreadful standard' of the league. I will accept it if two or three teams storm clear. But as it stands it looks a competitive league to me.

I also don't get the love in for Warne and Robins. What have they ever done that's better than Smith?

Robins has a couple of times joined clubs toiling at the bottom of a league and guided them to safety against the odds. He's also won League One, and in doing so achieved as many promotions as Smith. And he did it without the most expensive squad in the league and by finishing 1st, not 5th.

Warne has three promotions on his CV.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Robins has a couple of times joined clubs toiling at the bottom of a league and guided them to safety against the odds. He's also won League One, and in doing so achieved as many promotions as Smith. And he did it without the most expensive squad in the league and by finishing 1st, not 5th.

Warne has three promotions on his CV.

I know but if you think this league is dreadful standard then those achievements don't amount to much?

Smith has won a relegation scrap in the PL. 

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Robins and Warne have gained lots of promotions on shoestring budgets (something our owners would be impressed with) I like both of them. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Robins and Warne have gained lots of promotions on shoestring budgets (something our owners would be impressed with) I like both of them. 

You're like Tigger. You like everything except what's on your breakfast plate. You even liked Smith when he was at Villa.

Edited by nutty nigel

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I know but if you think this league is dreadful standard then those achievements don't amount to much?

Smith has won a relegation scrap in the PL. 

I've tried, but I don't get that first point. Not even slightly. What does the appalling standard of the Championship this season have to do with Warne and Robins impressive career achievements?

And I doubt there will ever be another manager in history that will get to say thanks to a dodgy watch for keeping his team in a league. Plus, when Mark Robins kept up teams who were several points from safety, he didn't have a 9-figure war chest with which to do it.

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You're like Tigger. You like everything except what's on your breakfast plate. You even liked Smith when he was at Villa.

I loved Farke, I never supported the sacking. Smith is here and doing an ok job so far. I just commented on your nonsense comment regarding Robins and Warne. I’m actually surprised you don’t rate either given their Norwich connections 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I've tried, but I don't get that first point. Not even slightly. What does the appalling standard of the Championship this season have to do with Warne and Robins impressive career achievements?

And I doubt there will ever be another manager in history that will get to say thanks to a dodgy watch for keeping his team in a league. Plus, when Mark Robins kept up teams who were several points from safety, he didn't have a 9-figure war chest with which to do it.

It has everything to do with the comparison you're making for them to replace Smith.

This is a daft argument. No class  manager is going to come to Norwich if you sack Smith when clearly he's doing well. You'll simply confirm this as a toxic club full of toxic fans.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Brilliant question and one I kind of making the point in the other thread about fit the club and fans, he was sacked five days after Farke, it wasn’t the manager most fans expected or really wanted at the time! Now the atmosphere is missing…..

But as Nutty said he’s correct it might just be more in it than football, Covid, wars, money and climate, it’s a stressful time and as Nutty said maybe fans just vent their frustration at football to everything!

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I genuinely think we've seen the end of shoestring budgets. I'm convinced that if we get promotion this year then Attanassio is going to be injecting a serious wad of cash into the club with a view to upgrading to becoming serious Premier League contenders more on the lines of the way Villa have reestablished themselves. 

Just my opinion; purely speculative based on events. Speculating further, given that Attanasio's involvement has occurred since Smith's arrival at the club, I wonder if Smith hasn't been influential in prodding the club to seek further investment given his experience taking Villa up. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

I'm with NN on the 'this league crap, we should be much further ahead of everyone' argument.

Man City, having recruited Haaland, are considered to be the deadliest team in all the land. Literally feared by all- and they're second by a point after 9 games. There is very rarely a total walkover winner in developed leagues.

Fulham, last year's Championship dominator, were 5th on 20 points a year ago today.

I find the notion that we should easily be walking away with it odd, to say the least 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I loved Farke, I never supported the sacking. Smith is here and doing an ok job so far. I just commented on your nonsense comment regarding Robins and Warne. I’m actually surprised you don’t rate either given their Norwich connections 

It's not a nonsense comment. I rate them both. Stop isolating a part of the conversation I'm having with Dan to make a separate point. Even you're better than that. Or maybe not...

It has everything to do with the comparison you're making for them to replace Smith.

Explain. How do the achievements of Robins winning League One two years ago, or Paul Warne getting three promotions in the past half a dozen or so years get diminished in any way by how poor the Championship has been so far in the 2022/23 season?!

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

I genuinely think we've seen the end of shoestring budgets. I'm convinced that if we get promotion this year then Attanassio is going to be injecting a serious wad of cash into the club with a view to upgrading to becoming serious Premier League contenders more on the lines of the way Villa have reestablished themselves. 

Just my opinion; purely speculative based on events. Speculating further, given that Attanasio's involvement has occurred since Smith's arrival at the club, I wonder if Smith hasn't been influential in prodding the club to seek further investment. 

Hallelujah for that. Smith and Jones has long reached their sell by date and this new direction is not before time. 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Explain. How do the achievements of Robins winning League One two years ago, or Paul Warne getting three promotions in the past half a dozen or so years get diminished in any way by how poor the Championship has been so far in the 2022/23 season?!

I think first you'll have to explain how the championship is poorer this season. 

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's not a nonsense comment. I rate them both. Stop isolating a part of the conversation I'm having with Dan to make a separate point. Even you're better than that. Or maybe not...

Well, you’re certainly not. As history proves.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Hallelujah for that. Smith and Jones has long reached their sell by date and this new direction is not before time. 

Seems an unnecessarily mean-spirited comment. 

• Like 3

Talk of him being sacked is utterly ludicrous and we should be behind him 100%. He's started off this season decent and in no way deserves to be in an even half precarious position. Give him a break!

Can't keep sacking managers or you turn into Watford. I would have never sacked Farke and I wouldn't sack Smith either.

If anyone at the club should go or fans are desperate for a scapegoat, it should be Webber, but I wouldn't sack him either despite an absolutely horrific display last year of which he (in my opinion) was 98% to blame.

• Like 3

I think first you'll have to explain how the championship is poorer this season. 

We've won games by playing very poorly. You'll say that's an opinion, but it's one very widely held by Norwich fans who are watching the games this season.

I'll let you in on something, I really want to like Smith. My Uncle and cousin are season ticket holders at Villa Park and Dean Smith sent him a personal letter with a signed shirt when my cousin arranged a football tournament and auction in memory of his friend. I played golf at the Belfry last Wednesday (the cheap course, not the PGA one) and the driver who took us to the first tee said he's played a couple of rounds of golf with him when he was at Villa and that he was an absolutely smashing bloke.

It's a bit sad, but I kinda like my NCFC managers to be good blokes too. It's why I struggled a little with Lambert despite his successes, I knew he was a bit of a **** away from football.

Smith is quite clearly nothing like that, look at the comments from that club we trained with when our match got cancelled recently (Accrington Stanley?).

I am desperate to like him and desperate to see him do well. However, his previous record makes me doubt he can and more recently, the garbage pro Smith people cone out with (see this thread) to support their position makes it even harder to think he's the right man for the gig.

• Like 2