chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Birmingham (LC) *****

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Fair enough, let's see how Deano views it. He didn't seem to think he had a vital role to play against Wigan.

Sargent is better than Hugill.

Pukki, Sargent, Idah is surely enough

11 minutes ago, kirku said:

I'd rather have Gibbs in there after yesterday, I thought he was very good. 

Sara needs more minutes, I think.

I'd probably go for McLean, Gibbs, Nunez.

Maybe if McCallum is injured we'll end up keeping Gibbs instead of loaning him out, given that Lungi is going to be needed at LB (and is also presumably our cover at RB). We really do need another fullback..

Yeah I'm the same. I think we should keep Gibbs anyway- it looks like we'll be playing three central midfielders most games so McLean, Sara, Nunez, Gibbs, Sorenson and Hayden isn't overkill, especially as Hayden has a questionable injury record and Sorenson may be needed to fill in elsewhere as the season goes on. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kirku said:

I'd rather have Gibbs in there after yesterday, I thought he was very good. 

Sara needs more minutes, I think.

I'd probably go for McLean, Gibbs, Nunez.

Maybe if McCallum is injured we'll end up keeping Gibbs instead of loaning him out, given that Lungi is going to be needed at LB (and is also presumably our cover at RB). We really do need another fullback..

Yes - its utter;y clear that we cannot rely on Byram ever being fit for any concerted period of time and so loaning out Mumba and letting Zimmerman go in the same week was arguably a bit questionable, especially as Gibson was injured at the time as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes - its utter;y clear that we cannot rely on Byram ever being fit for any concerted period of time and so loaning out Mumba and letting Zimmerman go in the same week was arguably a bit questionable, especially as Gibson was injured at the time as well. 

Zimmermann is shot, the Lanky Yankee probably the better option. 

Mumba however I'm a bit surprised about because he can play pretty much anywhere, has that versatility, I suppose the hope is that he can really breakthrough after a full season of football, like Godfrey at Shrewsbury, and that being a squad player here might have hindered him?

8 hours ago, chicken said:

If you watch the replay, their player comes from the right hand side of the pitch, Hanley actually has a player already and is expecting Tomkinson to close or take the player from Hanley so he can. It's the sort of thing you expect when you have a youngster in their first competitive start and an experienced pro used to playing alongside someone who is a bit more instinctive. 

It was what I call a "collective" issue. Certainly not Hanley's fault when you see where the player with the ball has come from. Hanley was playing LCB. 

I always thought that the man with the ball is the most dangerous tackle him. Anywhere from 25 yards out is a dangerous place to back off. And watching the replay Hanleypoints and  tells Tompkinson to take someone else

Edited by keelansgrandad

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I always thought that the man with the ball is the most dangerous tackle him. Anywhere from 25 yards out is a dangerous place to back off. And watching the replay Hanleypoints and  tells Tompkinson to take someone else

Yes, the man who he was tracking. It's that momentary lapse there. Two experienced pros don't need to communicate at that point, they just do, you get to know what the other is going to do and it's almost instinctive as such.

It's not from Hanley's side of the pitch, the runner is, and that caused the momentary lapse. I would have liked to see Tomkinson just go if he wants to, that's his side of the pitch. That said, their player waltzed through midfield without a challenge either.