Sign in to follow this  
Canaries north

Starting Hugill

Is Pukki a better player than Hugill, by a country mile. Would Hugill from the start be a better option with the team we have, maybe. 

As many have said Pukki without service is never going to work. When we have some of the new signings fit then it might be different but for now we are playing a rolls Royce up front when we might be better having a tractor. 

Some one on here made the point that in the premier League Pukki scored the same number of goals with and without Buendia. The difference for me is most teams in the championship are going to sit back where in the premier League teams would push on against us. 

We have no one available who can do the unlocking job Buendia did. We will be facing teams who will swamp the box so should we try a different way of playing with a different focal point. At least until we see what the new signings can do. 

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've defended Hugill on many, many occasions on this forum, but I can't see us getting promotion if he's our first choice striker. He's a useful option but not a starter.

But at this moment in time is he a better option than Pukki?  If one of the new signings is capable of playing Pukki in then obviously he would not be first choice. But for the here and now I'm not sure. 

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Once Idah is fit I doubt Hugill will make the bench comprising of GK, FB, CB, MID, MID, WING, FW

But he's not fit. For the next game I would be tempted to play Hugill. I can't see what we have to lose. I'm just interested in others opinions for this moment in time. I can't believe I'm saying it but I would drop Pukki for Hugill. 

I’d start Gibbs, McCullum, Rowe, we need to introduce players who aren’t scared from last seasons drubbings, our fragility needs to be addressed and sometimes we need to turn to youth for that injection of enthusiasm and raw energy to give you a lift.

1 minute ago, Canaries north said:

But he's not fit. For the next game I would be tempted to play Hugill. I can't see what we have to lose. I'm just interested in others opinions for this moment in time. I can't believe I'm saying it but I would drop Pukki for Hugill. 

To be fair I thought Teemu looked a yard off the pace and Kipre had him in his pocket for most of the game. The problem I have with Hugill is his lack of control to feet. Personally I would like to see Sargent given a chance through the middle as he is a passenger stuck out wide.

Injuries and suspension have/will force our hand. Is hugill better than pukki, no! Will hugill fill a place in the team, yes. Will the team suit him better....quite possibly. But is hugill our only fill in? No! Rashica, Sargent, hugill even Todd. We're not up **** creek yet. Maybe today will help us??

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

To be fair I thought Teemu looked a yard off the pace and Kipre had him in his pocket for most of the game. The problem I have with Hugill is his lack of control to feet. Personally I would like to see Sargent given a chance through the middle as he is a passenger stuck out wide.

Saying that Hugill's control is lacking and then advocating Sargent is like saying the Mediterranean is too hot so you're going to the sun. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Saying that Hugill's control is lacking and then advocating Sargent is like saying the Mediterranean is too hot so you're going to the sun. 

Well yes. So how the hell did we end up with this situation? 

We have one striker who's done nothing in pre season and looks off the pace, another on his way back from a serious injury and two others with chronic ball control.

And no creativity for any of them anyway 😬

Hugill did score lot in pre-season. However, at least against Marseille it was equally due to their awful marking (likely due being rusty in pre-season).  We can pump the ball in box, but none of our wingers really stands out for me as excellent and consistent crosser. Having Hugill alone in the bix, wrestling championship defenders used to defend crossing sounds like bad solution. We could use him as target, if we switch our playstyle for more direct, but then he would need someone to drop those balls for. Either Pukki or some attack oriented midfielder.

If both players are fit but you think your team will perform better with Hugill than Pukki, then your team is the problem, not the player. You should immediately change the team to suit the by far (I cannot emphasize how "far" I mean here enough), far, far better player in Pukki. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

If both players are fit but you think your team will perform better with Hugill than Pukki, then your team is the problem, not the player. You should immediately change the team to suit the by far (I cannot emphasize how "far" I mean here enough), far, far better player in Pukki. 

I agree completely the team is the problem. The problem is we can't change the team now but can change the tactics and to do that we might have to drop Pukki. Hopefully some of the new signings can change this but we don't have them yet. 

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agree re. Pukki, i would rest him for next month. If Sargent is to survive at Norwich, it has to be as a target man. He just doesn't have the skill to play anywhere else. 

It was obvious we needed a new striker last January. Instead we have gone back to hugill - that alone tells a sorry tale of Webber’s demise or disinterest. Any fan could tell you hugill is L1 quality with a premiership heart 18 months ago. Any fan could also have told you that Idah is a perennial crock who is always “about to burst on the scene” but never quite does. A huge season for him but not a guaranteed success. Finally any fan could see that Sargent is awful- L2 quality purchased for nearly £10m (worst signing in football history?)

So a need for another striker was OBVIOUS but not addressed. Much like a need to start the season with a better midfield…