Sign in to follow this  
CaptCanary

Cambridge Utd - Tuesday

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Well it’s still 37C in Peterborough as I write so it’s not going to be a lot different to that in Cambridge.

It’ll still be roasting at The Abbey at 8pm.

You're in Peterborough? I'm so, so sorry. I send my condolences

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Well it’s still 37C in Peterborough as I write so it’s not going to be a lot different to that in Cambridge.

It’ll still be roasting at The Abbey at 8pm.

Storm clouds brewing in Herts. They've got an hour to get to Cambs.

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Feel for Josh Sargent today..

🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, kirku said:

"I went for a drive earlier. No idea why airports closed their runways. It was fine when I dropped the kids off at school"

Really can’t see what point you’re making here? I play in 30 degree heat as a non conditioned middle aged man, and feel as though it was bearable whereas conditioned athletes play in 30 degree heat, surrounded by support staff and with additional measures for improving hydration and recovery but suddenly my comparison doesn’t illustrate that it’s reasonable that they play? 
Well they’re playing so clearly they’re all a bunch of idiots. I’ll assume you’ll be putting your complaint in writing to the club? 

12 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Suddenly my comparison doesn’t illustrate that it’s reasonable that they play? 

Correct. Your random anecdote means nothing. 

As you rightly point out, the medical staff at the club are those best placed to make that decision.

4 hours ago, kirku said:

As you rightly point out, the medical staff at the club are those best placed to make that decision.

I was right though wasn’t I. Random anecdote about playing football in hot weather in a thread about whether we should play football in hot weather. Good one 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I was right though wasn’t I. Random anecdote about playing football in hot weather in a thread about whether we should play football in hot weather. Good one 

You remind me of this

image.thumb.png.ac339c339d331fd4811029108d5dc052.png

image.thumb.png.a6b6271f4b11b81fea8873e39158bdc8.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kirku said:

You remind me of this

image.thumb.png.ac339c339d331fd4811029108d5dc052.png

image.thumb.png.a6b6271f4b11b81fea8873e39158bdc8.png

Interesting. Just how many players were stretchered off for issues relating to heat? At what point did I say the heat wasn’t going to cause issues like fires and problems with infrastructure? I didn’t. Ever. So I’m not at any point saying nor have I said that any of these factors makes people thinking we shouldn’t play ‘snowflakes’. I merely said in the context of PLAYING FOOTBALL, having played in the same conditions that I personally didn’t see it as a problem. You’ve taken this, tried to ridicule me and made links to completely irrelevant but nonetheless important issues that are additionally related to the heatwave. I wouldn’t wipe my a*** on the daily mail. It’s akin to me saying it’s fine to play football in heavy rain but you saying “but you know that some rivers burst their banks and flooded homes?”. 

There you go, nice chunk of reasoned argument for you. What irrelevant witty retort will you think of next? 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, kirku said:

It annoys me that anecdotes get dismissed so easily. Personal experiences do illustrate that things do genuinely happen, regardless of the statistical prevalence of similar events, and people usually tear statistics to bits anyway. 

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Interesting. Just how many players were stretchered off for issues relating to heat? At what point did I say the heat wasn’t going to cause issues like fires and problems with infrastructure? I didn’t. Ever. So I’m not at any point saying not have I said that any of these factors makes people thinking we shouldn’t play ‘snowflakes’. I merely said in the context of PLAYING FOOTBALL, having played in the sand conditions that I didn’t see it as a problem. You’ve taken this, tried to ridicule me and made links to completely irrelevant but nonetheless important issues that are additionally related to the heatwave. I wouldn’t wipe my a*** on the daily mail. It’s akin to me saying it’s fine to play football in heavy rain but you saying “but you know that some rivers burst their banks and flooded homes?”. 

There you go, nice chunk of reasoned argument for you. What irrelevant witty retort will you think of next? 

To be fair, professional footballers get paid enough that I think it's reasonable to expect them to risk death earning it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

To be fair, professional footballers get paid enough that I think it's reasonable to expect them to risk death earning it. 

Risking death. Absolute nonsense 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Risking death. Absolute nonsense 

So you laugh at the premise that playing a FRIENDLY with SEVERAL BREAKS and MULTIPLE SUBSTITUTES in temperatures that are not at peak under the supervision of professional medical staff with players that represent millions in financial assets is a ‘risk of death’ taken by the club because why? They don’t want to upset the people of Cambridge by cancelling it. What planet are you on? I assume you don’t allow anyone close to you leave their padded bubble in case a rogue peanut which they may or may not have an allergy to gets within 10 feet?

I like that you laugh as opposed to justifying the risk the club made and how they stripped the players of their human right to decide whether they put their lives on the line for the 30 people that paid £5 to watch a glitchy stream with crud commentary. 

You be safe out there, I hear there’s loads of bees flying around Willy Nilly this time of year that might cause anaphylaxis 

Edited by SwearyCanary

10 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

So you laugh at the premise that playing a FRIENDLY with SEVERAL BREAKS and MULTIPLE SUBSTITUTES in temperatures that are not at peak under the supervision of professional medical staff with players that represent millions in financial assets is a ‘risk of death’ taken by the club because why? They don’t want to upset the people of Cambridge by cancelling it. What planet are you on? I assume you don’t allow anyone close to you leave their padded bubble in case a rogue peanut which they may or may not have an allergy to gets within 10 feet?

I like that you laugh as opposed to justifying the risk the club made and how they stripped the players of their human right to decide whether they put their lives on the line for the 30 people that paid £5 to watch a glitchy stream with crud commentary. 

You be safe out there, I hear there’s loads of bees flying around Willy Nilly this time of year that might cause anaphylaxis 

I think Kirku laughed because he recognised it was a tongue in cheek comment. 

Mind you, Qatar... I think sweepstakes on who keels over first could be quite good fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think Kirku laughed because he recognised it was a tongue in cheek comment. 

Mind you, Qatar... I think sweepstakes on who keels over first could be quite good fun!

This has been a very entertaining thread, I have to say. 🤣

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 19:00, Herman said:

Storm clouds brewing in Herts. They've got an hour to get to Cambs.

Whereabouts in herts are you