Sign in to follow this  
king canary

England v New Zealand Test Match

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

That was far, far better than the crud shown earlier. Well done Johnny and Overton.👏

An innings for his dad, Johnny is on fire. 

Great to see the England players with smiles on their faces, totally different team spirit which gets reflected in performance. Makes we want to watch test cricket again.

• Like 2

Now if we could only transfer just a little bit of that magic to the England football team…..

Well there is certainly a lot more fortitude about this team. Crawley is the only one who should be fearing for his place right now.

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well there is certainly a lot more fortitude about this team. Crawley is the only one who should be fearing for his place right now.

Indeed! given the new philosophy seems to be to play with the aggressiveness of a 20/20 game, surely it would make sense to give Josh Butler a go as opener.

11 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! given the new philosophy seems to be to play with the aggressiveness of a 20/20 game, surely it would make sense to give Josh Butler a go as opener.

Potentially I guess but I've never been a huge fan of Buttler in tests. As long as people stop advocating for him over Foakes as keeper.

I think Butler could do a job in tests. Lets face it, we always seem to lose an opener early so we might as well have a few runs on the board. And surely they also have to give Alex Hales some redemption soon.

What an incredible series. There will be questions about how sustainable this way of playing is but I'm happy to just enjoy it for now!

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

What an incredible series. There will be questions about how sustainable this way of playing is but I'm happy to just enjoy it for now!

What we have to accept is that this style means the wheels will come off now and again. But our record up to now has been woeful anyway. Test cricket has to entertain or it will not survive. Already the Women's game is virtually snubbing Test cricket. It isn't as entertaining but people will watch the Hundred.

The purists may not like it but the ball crashing to the boundary even if the bat is way away from the body is what the modern audience wants.

• Like 1

I think Pope, Root, and Bairstow demonstrated in the second innings that you can play aggressively without needing to be reckless. 

33 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think Pope, Root, and Bairstow demonstrated in the second innings that you can play aggressively without needing to be reckless. 

Yes- the first innings was just aggression for the sake of it but that will happen every now and then. Second innings was much more considered and they got themselves into a clear winning position before going for the huge shots.

On 27/06/2022 at 15:33, keelansgrandad said:

What we have to accept is that this style means the wheels will come off now and again. But our record up to now has been woeful anyway. Test cricket has to entertain or it will not survive. Already the Women's game is virtually snubbing Test cricket. It isn't as entertaining but people will watch the Hundred.

The purists may not like it but the ball crashing to the boundary even if the bat is way away from the body is what the modern audience wants.

I like the approach England have taken to batting in this series. Clearly the middle order are well suited to it. I hope the top order will be allowed to be a little more circumspect 

As a member of the non-modern audience, I did enjoy a good Atherton/Donald battle at times 

What a find Potts has been. Reminds me a bit of a (slower paced) Gough. Stocky strong build with an accurate skiddy style.

Record runs just scored by a batsman in a test match over I believe. Bumrah off Broard. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

55 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Record runs just scored by a batsman in a test match over I believe. Bumrah off abroad. 

Fantastic bowler too. One of my favourite cricketers.

The weather may play a role in this test but I just have a sense England are going to really meet their match against this Indian team. I wouldn't be surprised if England are fighting to avoid a follow on. 

28 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Fantastic bowler too. One of my favourite cricketers.

The weather may play a role in this test but I just have a sense England are going to really meet their match against this Indian team. I wouldn't be surprised if England are fighting to avoid a follow on. 

The purists will pull their hair out. Short run up, chest on. But a tremendous bowler.

Great for India to have to make a decision between Ashwin and Jadeja. Got it right this time.

I keep missing parts of the radio commentary and got a bit confused with them talking about the death of legend Bob Willis.🥴

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

How many more failures do we give Crawley. Butler or Hales to come in.

Crappy Crawley.

Not England but we’ll done to the Foxes making the last 8 of this seasons Blast. Hammered Yorkshire today and have the most titles in this competition too. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not England but we’ll done to the Foxes making the last 8 of this seasons Blast. Hammered Yorkshire today and have the most titles in this competition too. 

Did I not just hear Aggers say they had been deducted points so do not make the last 8?

51 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Did I not just hear Aggers say they had been deducted points so do not make the last 8?

On what grounds? Can’t see anything. I’ve just looked up what your talking about. A bit gutted for them as they’ve been awesome for the last 5 matches. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

30 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

On what grounds? Can’t see anything. I’ve just looked up what your talking about. A bit gutted for them as they’ve been awesome for the last 5 matches. 

I heard Aggers say is was something to do with an on-field disciplinary issue. No idea if he's got that right.

31 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I heard Aggers say is was something to do with an on-field disciplinary issue. No idea if he's got that right.

Unsportsmanlike verbals and bowling issues, what a fukcing joke. Hate the football team (living here) but love supporting the cricket team when I can. Contrived nonsense knocks the Foxes out. 

This run of form from Bairstow is absolutely incredible. 

Also feels like the first England test in a while where the batsmen can feel a bit let down by the bowlers. Tactics were all over the place in that first innings.

Fantastic last morning set up 

Good opening partnership, followed by Root and (who else) YJB. India absolutely have to take early wickets to get back in the match 

I have a slight cold coming on, and I  think it best I work from home tomorrow morning...