Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Newcastle V Villa

The only hope is that Leeds or Brentford carry on their poor run. We knew Everton & Newcastle have far too much quality and it’s now showing. All we can do is our own job, the points will be what they’ll be. Personally I always knew we had that lack of quality, we’ve certainly improved and seeing the fruits of Sargent, Rashica and hopefully Tzolis next year. 
With a solid back four in Gibson, Hanley, Byram and Giannoulis a very positive looking front line and decent midfield we could have a very good championship season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

In terms of getting to 17th this weekend's results couldn't have been much worse. Clear daylight to 17th now plus games in hand and our chronic goal difference. Those 2 dropped points against Palace looking even more significant.

We all have difficult games coming up next week/weekend so little change expected and then onto Brentford which is the Mother of all must win games.

Couldn't believe all the post Palace waffle (e.g. from Darren Eadie + from many fans) who thought the draw was a 'good point' and there were 'many positives'. Since Watford, I've said we HAD to win the four home games v Palace, Geordie Arabs, Brentford and Burnley to stand a decent chance. Two points were dropped at the first hurdle. Sorry but when or season resumes v Southampton, we will then need to start to need wins at places like that, Brighton, Man Utd etc. Honestly can't see that happening. Unfortunately the bottom three may now start to drift away from safety.   

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

we’ve certainly improved and seeing the fruits of Sargent, Rashica and hopefully Tzolis next year. 
With a solid back four in Gibson, Hanley, Byram and Giannoulis a very positive looking front line and decent midfield we could have a very good championship season.

Much as my heart wants to agree with this, my head thinks otherwise.

Yesterday we lost to a top team that only fielded half their first choice side & (from the highlights I saw on MOTD) played the entire game in second gear.

As has been obvious (to me at least) for the past 5 years or so, we have always had the disadvantage of defending a half that appears about 20% larger than the one we are attacking. Whoever the opposition are, they are nearly always able to find loads of space that or attack rarely finds at the opposite end of the pitch. It often appears that we are playing with a man short compared to the opposition. 

This has happened in the Championship as well as the PL. but of course, we have managed to comfortably managed to score our way out of the former league.

Unless we can rejuvenate our forward line between now & the start of next season, I fear we will find life very difficult, no matter what league we are in.     

Killer result for us today. Watford, Burnley and us look down at this point. Smith gave us some hope and I'm aure we'll keep fighting but Newcastle look like they're on the way out of it.

It's over. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. 

Other teams around us have more firepower and games in hand. 

Newcastle have finally got their sh*t together thanks to a little bit of additional quality coming in. 

Rashica ain't ever staying, he will be snapped up.  

Same with most other players with any quality. 

Its finished. 

53 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Couldn't believe all the post Palace waffle (e.g. from Darren Eadie + from many fans) who thought the draw was a 'good point' and there were 'many positives'. Since Watford, I've said we HAD to win the four home games v Palace, Geordie Arabs, Brentford and Burnley to stand a decent chance. Two points were dropped at the first hurdle. Sorry but when or season resumes v Southampton, we will then need to start to need wins at places like that, Brighton, Man Utd etc. Honestly can't see that happening. Unfortunately the bottom three may now start to drift away from safety.   

Well that's because it was a good point, considering Palace absolutely smashed us in the second half and should have scored a penalty. Yes we had a great first half but after the second half we were very fortunate to get a point.

7 minutes ago, fredherring said:

It's over. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. 

Other teams around us have more firepower and games in hand. 

Newcastle have finally got their sh*t together thanks to a little bit of additional quality coming in. 

Rashica ain't ever staying, he will be snapped up.  

Same with most other players with any quality. 

Its finished. 

• Like 1

We'll have to win half a dozen games, hope Burnley and Watford don't and also hope that Brentford (most likely) or somebody else in the bottom half collapse.

Highly unlikely but not sure why anyone would throw the towel in with so many fixtures left.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

Yesterday we lost to a top team that only fielded half their first choice side & (from the highlights I saw on MOTD) played the entire game in second gear.

If you can’t see how far Man City are ahead of most PL teams, let alone poverty-stricken newcomers like ourselves, you are desperately overdue a visit to Specsavers. Our performance yesterday wasn’t bad, the Sky commentary called it out several times. But against a team consisting of many of the world’s best footballers and one of, if not the, best coach, we unsurprisingly came up second. Yesterday proves nothing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

If you can’t see how far Man City are ahead of most PL teams, let alone poverty-stricken newcomers like ourselves, you are desperately overdue a visit to Specsavers. Our performance yesterday wasn’t bad, the Sky commentary called it out several times. But against a team consisting of many of the world’s best footballers and one of, if not the, best coach, we unsurprisingly came up second. Yesterday proves nothing.

That seems pretty much what I was trying to say.

We played OK against a top team that only needed to field half their regular team & stay in second gear for 90 minutes to beat us 3 - 0 (I am discounting a quite ridiculous penalty!).

There appeared a lot more commitment than we showed at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season but we still fell far short of giving them a scare. If they had fielded their strongest team & played in top gear then, well........... 

We will need to show a lot more if we are to survive in this league &, as I said, I don't think we currently have enough to finish in the top six in the Championship.

Living over 400 miles from Carrow Road I can only base my comments on MOTD highlights & the odd radio & BT Sport live games.

Clearly my view may not be as valid as those who actually attend the games & obviously, I hope I am being over pessimistic.