Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

A word in praise of Williams

A few weeks ago after he got given the runaround by Saka I posted that we needed a left footed left back and that maybe it was time to play Dimi instead of Williams, not because Williams had been particularly bad in many games (in particular his attitude has always been first class) but because his habit of showing players into his right foot or cutting back when on the attack was hindering us in my view. In the last couple of games though, he has been top notch and its noticeable as well he's putting in more direct, driving, forward runs which are now giving us more attacking threat. 

I still think there may be the occasional game where the opponant on the opposition right wing means a left footer is a better option (and i wonder if using a loan spot for this position was really necessary given we have Dimi) but its really hard to fault the attitude, work rate and fight Williams has shown with us. As someone who can go back to Man U at the end of the season regardless of what happens to us he doesn't need to show this commitment so well done to him.

Hope he's fit for Friday as it will be a battle and we need characters in the side. 

• Like 3

Agreed. I think he has been a good loan signing. His commitment has been excellent for a loan player, and that interception, run down the wing and pass into Idah was superb.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

As someone who can go back to Man U at the end of the season regardless of what happens to us he doesn't need to show this commitment so well done to him.

Agree he has shown good committment here, but really, any footballer worth their salt will give 100% when they play in a competitive match. I've seen supposedly very good players coasting in games they don't think are important, which to me is just showing poor attitude.  The least they can do is try as hard as possible every time they go on the pitch - and Williams is one of those that does and credit to him for that.

Edited by lake district canary

Absolutely agreed, after a shaky start he's becoming an integral member of the team and his attitude is excellent.

That assist on Saturday was pinpoint and he clearly loves a battle - him v Sarr on Friday could be ineteresting.

Would also like to see a left-side of him and Dimi at some point, have a feeling they could work well in tandem.

10 minutes ago, Segura said:

Absolutely agreed, after a shaky start he's becoming an integral member of the team and his attitude is excellent.

That assist on Saturday was pinpoint and he clearly loves a battle - him v Sarr on Friday could be ineteresting.

Would also like to see a left-side of him and Dimi at some point, have a feeling they could work well in tandem.

Sarr's at AFCON, fortunately for us.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really does suck that most of the players that have put in good perfomances this season are leaving come the end of it

Whilst I dont necessarily agree with that statement,  ie idah motm Saturday with Hanley coming close.

Surely you want the loan players to be better than what you've already got, if not why would you have them in the first place?

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Whilst I dont necessarily agree with that statement,  ie idah motm Saturday with Hanley coming close.

Surely you want the loan players to be better than what you've already got, if not why would you have them in the first place?

If we actually manage to stay up, I wonder if we would look to get Williams on a permenant deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

If we actually manage to stay up, I wonder if we would look to get Williams on a permenant deal.

Was just about to say that. He looks a decent prospect, but it's hard to see him being good enough for a top club. If United have aspirations of getting back to that level, they'd need a better full back than him, surely. But for a club like us that's aspiring to survival and hopefully a bit of mid-table mediocrity, he seems like a good fit.

other than his usual 100% effort, the thing i really liked about his assist on Saturday was the way kept looking up - you could see him weighing up the options and picking the right ball... pure OODA loop in action!

I've been a vocal advocate of Giannoulis over Williams all season, but the last couple of performances Williams has been excellent. If he were a permanent NCFC player I could definitely see him with a cult following, he plays with heaps of personality and character. 

So I can appreciate Williams as the no.1 left back, but I'd still like to see us willing to use Giannoulis when we are chasing a game, he is head and shoulders better than Williams at coming forwards IMO (yes I know Williams has made a great few runs this season). 

On the balance of all individual performances this season, Giannoulis can undoubtedly count himself the most unfortunate player to have featured as little as he has done. He's been my man of the match, or certainly one of our best players, in numerous games, but little trust has been instilled him beyond the odd game by either Farke or Smith, and then when the team plays badly he is often the sacrificial lamb at halftime, even though he rarely has been the worse performer on the pitch (Man City away and Charlton away perhaps).

Maybe it is just the nature of having two competent players vying for one single position, an incredible luxury we do not have in any other position...

Also, if it meant keeping Giannoulis happy to stay with the club for the championship next year, I think I'd rather we played him over Williams than risk losing them both. Giannoulis will tear up the championship. 

And no chance would we get Williams permanently! Man United would want at least £20 million for him.