Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Yesterday's Full Press Conference

I must admit to being fairly ignorant about Dean Smith before he suddenly became available, but what I've heard and seen so far does give me the hope that our season is far from the write off it appeared to be, and that we'll be scrapping until the very end.  I like him a lot more than I thought I would.

11 minutes ago, Penelope Catchpole said:

I must admit to being fairly ignorant about Dean Smith before he suddenly became available, but what I've heard and seen so far does give me the hope that our season is far from the write off it appeared to be, and that we'll be scrapping until the very end.  I like him a lot more than I thought I would.

If he had followed any other manager, he would have been universally popular, it's just that he replaced Daniel Farke who let's be fair gave us some special times in very difficult circumstances.  Smith has good credentials and I like the way he has got us performing - so still an interesting season in prospect.

• Like 1

I found that channel a while ago and have had a few of his pressers on while I've been doing other stuff. Why does every journalist talk to him like he's their best mate? Happens at every press conference and I've never seen it happen with any of our managers.

Maybe Smith is just really popular and well respected in football circles I don't know, shame that's not translating to favorable decisions from the ref...

18 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I found that channel a while ago and have had a few of his pressers on while I've been doing other stuff. Why does every journalist talk to him like he's their best mate? Happens at every press conference and I've never seen it happen with any of our managers.

Maybe Smith is just really popular and well respected in football circles I don't know, shame that's not translating to favorable decisions from the ref...

Well they're not gonna talk to him like they hate him are they?

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

If he had followed any other manager, he would have been universally popular, it's just that he replaced Daniel Farke who let's be fair gave us some special times in very difficult circumstances.  Smith has good credentials and I like the way he has got us performing - so still an interesting season in prospect.

I like him. And agree it was always going to be odd for any successor  after DF.

Yet, he clearly feels a sense of belonging (must have stated 3 or 4 times how settled he's been made to feel and that it's feeling like a home for him) and he hints at a good 'fit' for him.

I've liked two big things though:

(a) His after match thoughts are simple, to-the-point (and often coincide with what fans have seen/commented themselves). There is no trickery or bull in his comments. He is not one for a lot of talk. He makes sense.

(b) He makes changes a lot more than DF mid-game and again they feel (intuitively) like good ones, like he is trying to change the momentum. 

I could also add a third I guess...

(c) he is playing some players we've not seen as much. Of course, some have been forced and naturally he will want to see how things are in a real match not just at the training ground. In that respect, he comes across as being more flexible than Daniel was. I ought to say DF was one of my favourite managers ever but I'm pleased with DS and wouldn't now wish to go back in time. Got to look forward now.

We have to just hope we can get positive results against those 9 teams in position 19 to 11 and possibly a result or two against the top 10. Do that and we will survive. It will be about what we do at the top of the pitch of course (the stats show we are better at our defensive organisation since DS arrived).

• Like 2