Sign in to follow this  
KeiranShikari

Is Gilmour being played as a 'CDM'?

I've seen a lot of people mention that his role for us has been CDM in the first couple of games this season, I assume this means central defensive midfield (as opposed to wide defensive midfield?), but I can't see it myself. Sure he's playing deep but he's clearly there to start attacks and ping passes around. Whilst there's obviously going to be defensive respoinsibility on him I'd assume there's far more on the pair in front of him.

Is it a FIFA thing? I know i've heard people say 'cam' in the real world.

Tonight when Gilmour came on he slowed our play down and made too many misplaced passes. I'm not convinced by him at all. Dont think he will ever get into a Chelsea first eleven and should not be in ours either.

Edited by mastoola

13 hours ago, mastoola said:

Tonight when Gilmour came on he slowed our play down and made too many misplaced passes. I'm not convinced by him at all. Dont think he will ever get into a Chelsea first eleven and should not be in ours either.

he has already been in the Chelsea first eleven... (has made a dozen or so apps)

you clearly a) have a problem with him, b) have made up your mind about him..

i don't think you will find many agree with you..

Gilmour has some developing still to do.

He's playing midfield like the setter's role in a volleyball team. 

Sat as a deep lying midfielder pinging the ball around to his team mates it looks absolutely beautiful.

He's good closing the passing lanes and the space in front of him and he can tackle. However he lacks some defensive positional awareness and has a tendency not to read/ anticipate the game as well as someone like Skipp who knew when he needed to drop into the defensive line and shut the space in behind him.

Gilmour by contrast allows the runners in behind. Sometimes the right call is to pass the runner on but sometimes this causes a problem particularly when it allows both the ball and an overload of opposing players in behind him.

No midfield player is entirely immune to this issue however I get a sense that Gilmour doesn't always know when he needs to drop off and when to pass the player on or he is simply is not able to make this decision quickly enough.  

If Farke cannot sort this problem out it will be a problem for us because it allows the opposition to overload us in a very dangerous place. 

If Farke wants to continue with a midfield three in the short term he might try Sorensen , MacLean and Lees- Melou. 

The technical term for a playmaker that sits in-front of the centre backs is a “regista”. This video will help a lot of fans understand how our counter-attacking 4-3-3 could work. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

The technical term for a playmaker that sits in-front of the centre backs is a “regista”. This video will help a lot of fans understand how our counter-attacking 4-3-3 could work. 

in the old days, it was just a deep lying playmaker. now every role has a fancy name

• Like 2

Sorensen was the deep man yesterday, Gilmour was definitely more advanced. Can't see him being our main anchor though because he's not physical enough. This is why we badly need to replace Skipp so we have an anchor in the middle with 2 from Gilmour/Rupp/Lees-Mous/McLean and at a push Dowell

Main anchor doesn't need to be physical, it is mainly about knowing how to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think many would describe Skipp as a 'physical' player, but he developed to ability to know where to be and when to be there - he wasn't great at this when he first got to Norwich - Farke even mentioned this a couple of times but he soon learnt it. 

I think even after Norwich sign a midfielder we will continue to see Gilmour deployed as the deepest of the three and will have two of PLM, Mclean and the new guy either side to do the donkey work. Gilmour does need to work on his positioning and knowing when to stay deep and when to move forward though but that will come.

There are many types of defensive midfielder, Gilmour suits the role as it is the perfect place for someone with his excellent passing to build attacks or maintain possession. Can already see from the early games that Farke is looking at more wing play this year and big switches of the ball from one side to the other will be a big part of this - Gilmour already has one of the highest rates of switch passes in the league - which is impressive consider Norwich saw very little of the ball against Man C.

• Like 1

I would agree the 'anchor' or 'Destroyer' in midfield doesn't need to be physical in terms of build, but more mentality. typically 3 man midfields will have 2 defensive midfielders, one concentrating on passing + some tackling, and the other concentrating on destroying for the want of a better word. i.e (Pirlo + Gattuso, Xabi Alonso + Mascherano)

The video above really does visually show what Bethnal has typed above, well worth a watch to see how Gilmour could thrive.

In order for him to thrive though, he does need a blocker/destroyer/physical type next to him. At the moment our best options here are LM and Mclean.