Sign in to follow this  
Cornwall Canaryfan

Bond Memories

Todays article & interview with Kevin Bond bought back very happy memories for me.

After a business promotion to Norwich in July 1979, my second home match at Carrow Road was the Leeds game in the articles photos. The first was the midweek game against Spurs on the Wednesday before, which I was taken to by my new work colleagues.

The season started the previous Saturday at Everton where we won 4 -2. We then beat Tottenham 4 -0 at Carrow Road before also beating Leeds (still one of the best teams in the league) 2 - 1 top go top of the league, possible for the first & only time until 1993! I believe Kevin may have scored all 3 goals in that game, inc. an OG. If he didn't do it then I am sure he did it against someone else in the same season at Carrow Road.

Edit - According to internet info. Paul Hart scored for Leeds so Kevin Bond must have scored all 3 in a later game.

A pretty good introduction to both Norwich & Carrow Road. By the end of that Leeds match I was already a firm Canaries fan, which has blighted my life ever since!!

PS - I also seem to recall that the new River End stand was not quite completed & did not open for a couple more home matches.
Edited by Cornwall Canaryfan

Last time I saw Kevin Bond he was being secretly filmed accepting a bribe to buy a player for Portsmouth. Sam Allardyce and Harry were the stars but he did very well in a supporting role

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Last time I saw Kevin Bond he was being secretly filmed accepting a bribe to buy a player for Portsmouth. Sam Allardyce and Harry were the stars but he did very well in a supporting role

Not possible . ‘Arry wouldn’t know anything about anything , and if you want to send him a text you’ll have to get his dog to read it . 

• Haha 1

Remember when he first came everyone thought it was due to his dad being manager and when he got picked for the first team he took a bit of stick as a daddy’s boy , but he got better and better a quality player 

• Like 1

I remember, I went to Anfield, went in with home fans with my new scarf. I was near the front and when Bond came over to take a throw I admit I gave him a volley of abuse. A Liverpool fan near me, older guy, tapped me on the shoulder, “ he’s only a lad , give him a chance”. I never forgot that and never did anything like that again. I remember fondly a goal he scored at Wolves, think was 1-1, we looked super in all white. I was accosted by a less considered fan after in the car park - “ I don’t like the way you speak”! Happy days. 

2 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Remember when he first came everyone thought it was due to his dad being manager and when he got picked for the first team he took a bit of stick as a daddy’s boy , but he got better and better a quality player 

I must be thinking of a different Kevin Bond, because the one I saw play for us definitely was only there because his Dad was the boss and he was a poor man's Steven Whittaker - fine when nowhere near the ball, but a penalty waiting to happen if the opposition had the ball in our box. It didn't help that he looked about 12 years old.

1 hour ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I must be thinking of a different Kevin Bond, because the one I saw play for us definitely was only there because his Dad was the boss and he was a poor man's Steven Whittaker - fine when nowhere near the ball, but a penalty waiting to happen if the opposition had the ball in our box. It didn't help that he looked about 12 years old.

Well you must have a poor memory then as after a shaky start he turned into an excellent full back with a terrific range of passing that was much appreciated by the fans when they voted him player of the season (1990?)

• Like 1

I remember him playing at Carrow Road in a reserve game (for the younger viewers, in those days reserve games were played at CR) and attempting a cross from the wing and it smacked off the Barclay roof. After that I was fearful , but KB wasn't as bad as some RBs we've had over the years. 

I remember when Blofeld was in his electric wheelchair and Bond is flying a helicopter and he swoops down and pick him up on the leg of the helicopter then flies up and drops him down a huge chimney.  Classic!