Thirsty Lizard

Any Chess Players on Here?

One of the things I did during the lockdowns was get back into playing the greatest game of all. Was wondering if anybody on here also plays and if so would they fancy a game or two online.

I'm on Chess.com and Lichess as GreenYellowArmy and always up for a challenge. For those who might know what I'm on about 1:1 Bullet is my favourite format, but happy to play people at Blitz or Rapid as well. 

• Like 1

When the local pub quiz league was in full swing, prior to lockdown, three of us used to hang around after the quiz for a round-robin of chess games.

It could often be such a demanding night intellectually that I needed to watch an episode of Tipping Point on catch-up when I got home just to balance things out.

Seriously, I've never played online. I need to look into it.

Chess.com looks interesting.

Once I've sharpened up, I might well challenge you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

When the local pub quiz league was in full swing, prior to lockdown, three of us used to hang around after the quiz for a round-robin of chess games.

It could often be such a demanding night intellectually that I needed to watch an episode of Tipping Point on catch-up when I got home just to balance things out.

Seriously, I've never played online. I need to look into it.

Chess.com looks interesting.

Once I've sharpened up, I might well challenge you.

I always forget how honoured we are to have a man of such calibre on our forum. 

Just surprised you frequented the pub and not a wine bar! 😊 

Good grief - I didn't expect a thread about chess to descend so quickly (although I should know better by now).

Happy to play you any time you would like a game Broadstairs (and you too Greavsy if you play). 

Haven't played in years, and I was pretty bad anyway! Might have a look at the website though.

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Prat!

You ok hun ? 

You sound tense, try to lighten up and have a giggle. 

6 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Good grief - I didn't expect a thread about chess to descend so quickly (although I should know better by now).

Happy to play you any time you would like a game Broadstairs (and you too Greavsy if you play). 

Some people are just too serious / snooty and dont like a laugh. Bit sad really. 

Thanks for the offer, but chess isn't my thing. Good luck though. 

21 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

You ok hun ? 

You sound tense, try to lighten up and have a giggle. 

Give it a rest, funny man.

Surely you've accumulated enough egg on your face already by your first silly excursion into this thread to have enough sense not to persevere.

Btw. Next time they let you out, why not treat yourself to a copy of "Chess Playing for Dummies?" You'll soon find out that there's nothing really to be frightened of. It's only a board game.

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Give it a rest, funny man.

Surely you've accumulated enough egg on your face already by your first silly excursion into this thread to have enough sense not to persevere.

Btw. Next time they let you out, why not treat yourself to a copy of "Chess Playing for Dummies?" You'll soon find out that there's nothing really to be frightened of. It's only a board game.

Egg on my face? What are you on about. How about showing some maturity. 

7 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Egg on my face? What are you on about. How about showing some maturity. 

Maturity? Are you serious? Really? Now that is funny, especially after your opening nonsense.

What are you even doing on this thread. You've already said that chess is not "your thing," yet you seem determined to make your presence known, which seems to amount to you making a bit of a fool of yourself. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Maturity? Are you serious? Really? Now that is funny.

What are you even doing on this thread. You've already said that chess is not "your thing," yet you seem determined to make your presence known, which seems to amount to you making a bit of a fool of yourself. 

Yes, your first reply was "Prat" very mature. 

Didn't realise I needed your permission to post on a thread. As I said before you called me a Prat, we are honoured to have your type on this forum. 

I'll leave others to come to their own conclusion regards your silly input into this thread, along with the subsequent piffle, however I've long since come to the conclusion that perhaps you may not be the brightest button on the officer's blazer, so there's no real need for you to confirm that view with such appalling consistency.

Chess is little pieces of wood/plastic etc. in various shapes and with each piece having its own individual or collective  role on a chequered board.

Fascinating game played by all sorts and by all ages. 

Nothing to be scared of. I assure you.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'll leave others to come to their own conclusion regards your silly input into this thread, along with the subsequent piffle, however I've long since come to the conclusion that perhaps you may not be the brightest button on the officer's blazer, so there's no real need for you to confirm that view with such appalling consistency.

Chess is little pieces of wood/plastic etc. in various shapes and with each piece having its own individual or collective  role.

Fascinating game played by all sorts and by all ages. 

Nothing to be scared of. I assure you.

Thanks for your opinion.

Ill respectfully disagree. 

Played my first game on it after signing up. Put myself down as new to the game though - as said I used to play a little a long time back, and I was not a great player then. Beat a fellow rookie, I presume, in 41 moves.

• Like 1

I meant to have a click tonight, but seem to have got delayed.

Takes all sorts.

Congrats, you'll improve by the game. 

Had a few more games of 10-min chess. Winning more than I lose, but I'm only playing fellow rookies right now.

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Had a few more games of 10-min chess. Winning more than I lose, but I'm only playing fellow rookies right now.

Good stuff. Fantastic way of keeping the old grey matter in shape. Careful though - it can get addictive. 🙂 

You on Chess.com or Lichess?  I much prefer Lichess myself. It's open source and totally free - Chess.com will try to monetise you from time to time. 

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Good stuff. Fantastic way of keeping the old grey matter in shape. Careful though - it can get addictive. 🙂 

You on Chess.com or Lichess?  I much prefer Lichess myself. It's open source and totally free - Chess.com will try to monetise you from time to time. 

I'm on Chess.com under the username SeelowHeights. 🙂 

45 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Can I recommend Queens Gambit on Netflix, lovely series based very loosely on Bobby Fischer

Yes, watched it thanks. A very good series - a nice watch and beautifully made.  My only complaint is that it's not really about chess (Chess is just the canvas on which the rest of the themes are painted). 

Yes, watched it thanks. A very good series - a nice watch and beautifully made.  My only complaint is that it's not really about chess (Chess is just the canvas on which the rest of the themes are painted). 

Yeh very true, but first series I have ever seen where chess plays any part whatsoever in the plot so on that basis I guess a positive. I am old enough to remember the Fischer Kasparov drama, chess was really in the news in those days.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sent you a friend request on there. Had a sneaky look at your profile. P8 - W6 - L2. Will have to watch out for you. 😉 

Sent you a friend request on there. Had a sneaky look at your profile. P8 - W6 - L2. Will have to watch out for you. 😉 

I’m fancying this now

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

You attacking the heights or defending?!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You attacking the heights or defending?!

Ah, it's a reference to a place near where I lived so you've got the idea. I used to live in a German border town called Guben, which is about 60 miles further south but was all pretty much part of the same battle (the Seelow Heights were just the location of the main skirmish along the Neisse, but other battles were taking place further south and into the Spreewald, particularly Halbe).

So I always see them as a last stand or as a last obstacle depending on whether I am attacking or defending. In fact, I use it as my FB username as well.

I was a  member at Brentwood chess club for a year many moons ago 

We played a few league games and I didn't do too bad

We did one of those things where 20 of us sit on tables in  a circle and an outsider comes in and rips 19 of us a new one, while the other one gets a jammy draw

We also did some inter-club events and I remember getting my árse served back to me on a plate by a small child who needed extra cushions on the chair just to see the table 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
Swear filter

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

If anybody wants a cheap laugh at some **** play from both players, this game I just had was a fine example. Missed a simple attack on my rook, went well down on material... then this happened.

SeelowHeights vs. yeeyeetrump2024 | Analysis - Chess.com

Nice final mating net. 🙂 

Remember Daniel Farke's advice though - don't get too high when you're winning or too low when you're losing. 

And remember my advice (it can get addictive 😉 ).