Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

EPL teams able to name 9 subs in upcoming season

I'm not against this so long as the 3 subs rule stays in place, it helps managers maintain dressing room harmony by getting 20 players from their squad involved every game. I've always though 5 subs was too little, you as a manager basically had little room to manuevure tactically if you happened to pick the wrong players on the subs bench before a game and something out of your control happened like a left back getting sent off early. This should also hopefully encourage teams to put young players on the bench which will give them a better chance of breaking through. 

3 subs should always be the max because otherwise you can win games on having a deep squad but having a higher number of potential subs is only a good thing imo

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Is it still 5 substitutions..EFL have said only 3 and 7 on the bench 

Edited by city4eva

4 minutes ago, city4eva said:

3 substitutes and 2 concussion ones, according to the article

8 minutes ago, city4eva said:

No it's not according to how the article is worded.

Premier League clubs will be allowed to name nine substitutes when the new season kicks off this weekend.

The last two campaigns have seen the size of matchday squads increased mid-season, with the 20 clubs voting through changes that saw the number of substitutes climb from seven to nine.

The most recent change came in December of last year and will now be unamended for 2021-22, the Premier League has confirmed.

A new season gets under way on Friday night as newly-promoted Brentford host Arsenal but, as with 2020-21, managers will only be allowed to use three of the nine substitutes in normal circumstances. They will also have two concussion substitutes available.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan of this, can only benefit the bigger clubs. Was one thing during the strange season that last season was, but should have gone back to normal now, personally I'd go back further to naming 5 subs. 

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Not a fan of this, can only benefit the bigger clubs. Was one thing during the strange season that last season was, but should have gone back to normal now, personally I'd go back further to naming 5 subs. 

If its only 3 subs I dont think it is too bad

Were it 5 , yes...or worse still the scandal that was allowing a 6th sub after Extra time in cup matches. The farce vs Man Utd in the FA Cup qtr final, where they were able to change over half their team and ended the game with 5 top class strikers on the pitch vs our 10 men to tip the game their way, a case in point.