Sign in to follow this  
jaberry2

Commuting To London

Interested whether any of you guys commute into London from Norwich? I may have to do so going forward twice a week and was interested to hear about costs and experiences with Greater Anglia trains. Any help associated with this would be appreciated

9 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Prepare to be late at least twice per week, sometimes have to go via Cambridge 

Thanks and noted. Any idea on costs / commute times etc? Parking at norwich station possible and not too expensive?

You’d be better off driving to Newbury Park and taking the underground in. I’ve given up using the train as when I did go into London to meet my clients I inevitably ended up on a bus coming home!

6 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Invest in one o' these......... image.jpeg.2f3cc7f6c8b284df20d75b165896ed20.jpeg

Most useful, thanks 🙂

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

Most useful, thanks 🙂

You're very welcome......It's also ideal for removing furlough flab and lock-down lard......

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Interested whether any of you guys commute into London from Norwich? I may have to do so going forward twice a week and was interested to hear about costs and experiences with Greater Anglia trains. Any help associated with this would be appreciated

Four or five times a month but have been working remotely since Covid. It became horrendous a while back as they were switching over to the new trains and the old ones kept breaking down, but probably a couple of days a week is doable, particularly if you can work in the train and view the journey as part of your working day.

Shame of it is you used to be able to get a cooked breakfast in the buffet car, lovely way to start your day. 

You mentioned parking, I used the multi story which was around £8 a day. But if you are away overnight the parking cost goes up massively 

13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Four or five times a month but have been working remotely since Covid. It became horrendous a while back as they were switching over to the new trains and the old ones kept breaking down, but probably a couple of days a week is doable, particularly if you can work in the train and view the journey as part of your working day.

Shame of it is you used to be able to get a cooked breakfast in the buffet car, lovely way to start your day. 

Thanks VW. Im just trying to negotiate some kind of flexi working, which make a move to Norfolk possible. Just trying to investigate the best ways in and not to incur too much cost / time. 

8 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

You could  do a lot worse than the coach,  pretty swift  , takes you right into central  London,  good WiFi and cheap  too. London Stratford  in 2hrs25 mins. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

While my family is in Norwich, my need to commute to London landed me in Essex, less than an hour into Liverpool Street from Witham is much more doable.

22 hours ago, Van wink said:

You mentioned parking, I used the multi story which was around £8 a day. But if you are away overnight the parking cost goes up massively 

Lower Clarence Road is probably a better option for parking. You can do it all online and the walk is possibly closer or at least marginal. I have always found it ok, depending on your journey on from Liverpool Street. Getting a rush hour seat can be a struggle coming back, but going out is fine. Two days a week is easy, however the regulars look wrecked come Friday!

31 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Lower Clarence Road is probably a better option for parking. You can do it all online and the walk is possibly closer or at least marginal. I have always found it ok, depending on your journey on from Liverpool Street. Getting a rush hour seat can be a struggle coming back, but going out is fine. Two days a week is easy, however the regulars look wrecked come Friday!

They do indeed, wrecked and pi$$ed😁

I think for me its finding something flexible enough to go in on a minimal basis, with a max of 2 days a week or find something new in Norfolk or Suffolk. Just trying to expedite the moving process to get me over to Norfolk.

Parts of Essex are nice Wunderboy, but would like to be in Norfolk.

Edited by jaberry2