Fiery Zac

Savage/606/Aguero

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know, I agree with you. I really don't know why on earth Sky kept Merson last summer when they binned off the rest as he's the worst of the lot. He doesn't have a clue what's going on half the time, doesn't appear to do any research and he can't string a coherent sentence together. But he's a laugh and a court jester, so he gets on.

As for the likes of Morrison and some of the other new ones, surely there has to be a minimum standard of English to be a TV pundit? It's not acceptable for a cricket pundit or commentator, so why should football pundits have such a low threshold?

I have a feeling that they kept him because losing his job at that time may have been the final straw for him. He's embarrassing but would you sack someone in the knowledge they may jump off a building?

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It would be “no surprise”  if Augero joined Norwich? 

That isn't quite what I was saying.  No surprise was if a big name player came to Norwich, not necessarily Aguero......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have a feeling that they kept him because losing his job at that time may have been the final straw for him. He's embarrassing but would you sack someone in the knowledge they may jump off a building?

Ultimately only those close to him know what Merson's mental state is/was. If that's the case then keeping him is understandable, but that doesn't make watching him and Morrison any easier.

IF Merson's MH is on that sort of edge, then I hope there is huge movement, behind the scenes, to help him.

You can't employ him, just because of that reason. Did they assess Le Tiss, Tommo etc and 'pass' them off to be sacked without any consequences? I doubt it

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

That isn't quite what I was saying.  No surprise was if a big name player came to Norwich, not necessarily Aguero......

Przemysław Płacheta not big enough for you?

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid that's not good enough. It's a bit like saying that we should be happy with Johnson because he's better than Corbyn. The standard of TV pundits is awful. They don't even understand zonal marking and worse still they don't attempt to find out why virtually every club in the Premier League uses it.

The only pundit who has told me something I didn't already know is Jose Mourinho when he was between jobs. But it has to be said that Alex Scott is right at the bottom of the pile with Paul Merson.

Agreed the overall standard of punditry is terrible. There’s a few decent ones (Neville being the best) but it feels like they need to give any half decent ex pro a chance because they’ll have more authority over what they’re saying because they used to play the game.

Then there’s those that are just there to entertain (Savage/Merson/Richards) and make people laugh. There’s a space for that and I actually think Savage does a decent job as presenter of 606 and it works surprisingly well with Sutton but there’s simply too many with nothing interesting to say and just trying to keep our attention with laughter and ‘banter’.

The best punditry I listen to is actually on a fantasy football podcast. Big shout out to James Linden on PlanetFPL. Really really clever bloke, knows his stuff and entertaining to listen to as well (Spurs fan so particularly entertaining at the moment). Give that show a listen. Playing FPL obviously helps but his insights into the tactics of teams is fascinating and extremely well researched and thought out.

• Like 1

Merson on at least 3 occasions banging on about 'Maximus' for Newcastle today 🙄. Expecting Brutus and Caeser on at HT 😁

Savage is just an a**e (IMO of course) and it’s only worth listening to him when Sutton is there to wind him up. The latter does himself no favours at all either by being intentionally controversial too much of the time. The latest annoyance (certainly on R5) is Micah Richards, who, even if correct or otherwise, really comes across as having a very limited intellect and his whole contribution to punditry seems to be based upon ‘... I played for Man City once you know.’ The only one I actually enjoy listening to is Pat Nevin, his co-commentary is usually very insightful and he is obviously a very clever and articulate guy.