Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

OT petition for golf during lockdown

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Socio economic.... you talk a good game!  Are Willett, Hatton, Poulter and Fleetwood for example from rich backgrounds?    

Willet's dad is a Vicar and his mum is a maths teacher, that is middle class in Sheffield isn't it?

And Fleetwood's own father has spoken out about the high cost of subsidising his son's early pro career. 

By the way, I never said it was a sport for rich people, I said it isn't a sport for poor kids. Would a minimum wage factory worker be able to afford the clubs your kids own? 

That's why it has a reputation or perception among working class / lower working class people as an elitist sport, because its not accessible to all, there is a financial barrier to entry for many.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

97% of people with Covid caught it indoors. Why on earth would you ban outdoor activities? 

Because unfortunately Dylan, the other 3% was caught on golf courses, and not necessarily when they were open either 

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I regularly walk my dog near the course in Eaton. I've no idea what class of people they are but they're not very good at golf😂

I’m not sure either, Dylan, but I am reliably informed these people do know ‘a hole in one’ when they see one though!

Hi everyone, a massive THANK YOU for all those that have signed.

It’s great that it will now be debated in Parliament. However I’m not holding my breath, if you remember the idea of fans returning to football matches was also debated and was pretty much brushed off on the basis of “yes of course it would be nice but we have to put safety first.”

I shall now reward all those who signed with my favourite golf joke! Two old boys were having a round of golf. One is just about to tee off when a hearse drives past on the road next to the hole displaying a coffin and flowers. The guy stops before his shot, tips his hat and waits for the hearse to drive past. Then he takes his shot.  His playing partner says “that was a very respectable thing that you just did.” He replies “well, we were married 50 years!”

😂

• Haha 2

My membership, admittedly at pensioner rates is not even a half of £750. And I recently, foolishly as it turns out, bought a second hand set, in pearl condition for £49.99. So that is four sets I have and they didn't cost £750 all told. 

And virtually every member of the club is working class. And the membership increased by 130 during the previous lockdown/furlough.

Thanks to all that signed.

12 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

My membership, admittedly at pensioner rates is not even a half of £750. And I recently, foolishly as it turns out, bought a second hand set, in pearl condition for £49.99. So that is four sets I have and they didn't cost £750 all told. 

And virtually every member of the club is working class. And the membership increased by 130 during the previous lockdown/furlough.

Went over your head as well then.

Another poster made the point that the sport is perceived as elitist.

I said that the reason isn't because it is expensive for you or me to play on a Sunday to unwind, its the cost of an aspiring kid having a realistic chance of making it as a pro.

Jermaine Pennant and Marcus Rashford didn't have golf as an option, that was my point. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Went over your head as well then.

Another poster made the point that the sport is perceived as elitist.

I said that the reason isn't because it is expensive for you or me to play on a Sunday to unwind, its the cost of an aspiring kid having a realistic chance of making it as a pro.

Jermaine Pennant and Marcus Rashford didn't have golf as an option, that was my point. 

Not over my head. You mentioned whether a minimum wage earner could afford a set of clubs for his child. I merely pointed out he could. Far cheaper than a phone contract or pair of football boots.

😠

Email from my golf club: “Further to the announcement on Saturday, it has been confirmed that golf courses in England have been instructed to close from 5th November until 2nd December.  The clubhouse and course will therefore close on Wednesday evening 4th November, and any tee bookings made after that date will no longer apply.”

I’ve written to my MP!

They still have to debate it in parliament so there is still hope that good sense will prevail!

what on earth will all those professional footballers do otherwise in their spare time? 😉