Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Stadium clocks and added time

I'm sure we can all agree that the Spurs stadium is amazing but I'm baffled by the clocks. They count up to 90 minutes then stop. They must be able to leave them running so why on earth don't they? Is there a rule that stops them? 

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm sure we can all agree that the Spurs stadium is amazing but I'm baffled by the clocks. They count up to 90 minutes then stop. They must be able to leave them running so why on earth don't they? Is there a rule that stops them? 

All clocks at all grounds stop at 90 mins, including Carrow Rd.

There must be a rule about it somewhere.

8 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

All clocks at all grounds stop at 90 mins, including Carrow Rd.

There must be a rule about it somewhere.

But why? 

36 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

But why? 

To prevent players/fans kicking off if a goal is scored a few seconds over the injury time announced i guess? Injury time is ref's discretion but if the board is put up saying 4 mins then people expect them to blow the whistle at 90+4 exactly.

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kick it off said:

To prevent players/fans kicking off if a goal is scored a few seconds over the injury time announced i guess? Injury time is ref's discretion but if the board is put up saying 4 mins then people expect them to blow the whistle at 90+4 exactly.

Yep, exactly that. 

• Like 1

It's about time the ref's watch was wired to a clock visible to all like in rugby.  Increased transparency for all.  

• Like 1

I’d happily see the clock stopped as in Rugby so you know where you are, but I’ve never quite got the thing about them carrying on - sometimes for several minutes - until there’s a ‘break’ in play. That just seems odd. It’s either the end of the game or it isn’t.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Firstly, injury time may be deemed 'at the refs discretion' but it shouldn't be. It should be accurate so that a full 90 minutes is played and time wasting is neither rewarded nor advantageous.

But what really gripes me is that refs seem to be oblivious to the word "minimum" in the extra time rule and announcement.
Grammar! The word has been put in there for a reason.
It's a MINIMUM of (e.g.) 3 minutes, not a maximum.

How many times do we see teams deliberately waste time and then the ref blows up on exactly 3 minutes, if not slightly before?
This reason alone demonstrates the need for proper time-keeping.
It was (IMO) probably a more important issue than goal-line technology simply because of how regularly errors occur and how often abuse gets rewarded.
One error happens every week, t'other occurs a couple of times a season, if that.

If we're going to embrace technology in the game then start with the simple things first. An official timekeeper, off the pitch, would sort the problem and protect the officials from any abuse.

• Like 1

Well at least I know the reason now. Thank you!

On a slightly different topic, a Spurs steward told me they play awful music really loud before the game to drown out fans shouting abusive chants at each other. She said it was a Premier League directive to protect young children from having to witness bad behaviour 

Edited by dylanisabaddog