Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Not bothering to argue with a number of unsubstantiated claims is not the same as acceptance.

Privately debanking anyone shouldn't be lawful in the first place: The process automatically marks people's credit rating, making it a genuine risk that they won't get a bank account anywhere.

You're on the losing side of this argument, I'm afraid, as evidenced by the carnage going on in Natwest.

No - Nobody is arguing that Coutt's got it wrong in their process and disclosure. Simply inept.

Fact remains they didn't want his business for good banking reaosns.

He has politicized it else he would of privately taken it up with the banking ombudsman. He was offered a normal account.

Seems like he's making politics out of a CEO mistake. Two different arguments at play. Why didn't the bank want his business ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

No - Nobody is arguing that Coutt's got it wrong in their process and disclosure. Simply inept.

Fact remains they didn't want his business for good banking reaosns.

He has politicized it else he would of privately taken it up with the banking ombudsman. He was offered a normal account.

Seems like he's making politics out of a CEO mistake. Two different arguments at play. Why didn't the bank want his business ?

Farage seems to be forgetting that they were unsure about him and the Respect Party. They did query whether it is a genuine political Party. It has no members, only people who contribute money. It has no governance as their is no Chairman, Treasurer or Secretary. There is a Director. That is Farage. There are no membership cards. He was placed in the PEP bracket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Farage seems to be forgetting that they were unsure about him and the Respect Party. They did query whether it is a genuine political Party. It has no members, only people who contribute money. It has no governance as their is no Chairman, Treasurer or Secretary. There is a Director. That is Farage. There are no membership cards. He was placed in the PEP bracket.

Yes - It a wonderful distraction from the banks concerns.

19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

There are hints that they did not get ot right. This from the BBC website

"The law states that every person in the UK has a legal right to hold a basic bank account, and that banks "must not discriminate against consumers" for a list of reasons such as sex, race, religion and also political beliefs."

You also have to be careful in denying services based on political beliefs. There is a fine line between political and philosophical beliefs.   Discriminate against a person based on the latter and you are in breach of the equalities act

9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

There are hints that they did not get ot right. This from the BBC website

"The law states that every person in the UK has a legal right to hold a basic bank account, and that banks "must not discriminate against consumers" for a list of reasons such as sex, race, religion and also political beliefs."

You also have to be careful in denying services based on political beliefs. There is a fine line between political and philosophical beliefs.   Discriminate against a person based on the latter and you are in breach of the equalities act

Yes but if I recall he didn't want a 'personal' account did he 'What use is that' I believe was the quote  - he wanted a business one!

Simply spin on spin.

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes but if I recall he didn't want a 'personal' account did he 'What use is that' I believe was the quote  - he wanted a business one!

Simply spin on spin.

And?  If the law says you cannot discriminate on the ground of political beliefs and that is what they did then coutts broke the law. That applies, regardless of it being in relation to a business account or a personal one.

I don't actually know what law this is so haven't looked it up or checked the details but coutts /natwest may have done a more than 'just' disclosing personal details without authority.

I'll say it again, farages opponents launched what they thought was a salvo of missiles to take him down, only to discover to box was marked 'boomerangs'. 

Edited by Barbe bleu

5 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

And?  If the law says you cannot discriminate on the ground of political beliefs and that is what they did then coutts broke the law. That applies, regardless of it being in relation to a business account or a personal one.

I don't actually know what law this is so haven't looked it up or checked the details but coutts /natwest may have done a more than 'just' disclosing personal details without authority.

I'll say it again, farages opponents launched what they thought was a salvo of missiles to take him down, only to discover to box was marked 'boomerangs'. 

The devil is in the detail here which has been completely lost . Banks I'm sure can refuse to bank certain businesses that don't fit - indeed they are very often under very real pressure so to do!

However, What I am sure about is when the Coutt's tide has receded and passed into dim memory, Farage will still be still be tilting at windmills, isolated and stranded on the shore as all these details get answered.

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

What constitutes political beliefs? 

Good question, ask a banking lawyer!

There are some interesting cases in equalities law about when a political beliefs becames a philosophical one though.

Coutts were playing with fire from the start 

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

That will double the audience.

Aye, GB News is doing so badly that Murdoch has twice tried to buy it -- Probably because SKY regularly loses the ratings battle to GB News -- Last night Nigel Farage had 150 times the audience of Jeremy Kyle, and Jacob Rees Mogg now regularly wins double or triple the audience of has-been Piers Morgan.

The owners of GB News have made it clear the channel is not for sale 👍

21 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's just their opinion, and not a very rational one. Making an argument doesn't force anyone to agree with you or disagree with you either way.

It doesn't seem to me that they were expressing an opinion, just advising which banks were closing accounts, or were intending to.

Unless you are suggesting that Brexit wasn't the root cause of the closures? In which case I would ask what you think was the cause 

4 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Aye, GB News is doing so badly that Murdoch has twice tried to buy it -- Probably because SKY regularly loses the ratings battle to GB News -- Last night Nigel Farage had 150 times the audience of Jeremy Kyle, and Jacob Rees Mogg now regularly wins double or triple the audience of has-been Piers Morgan.

The owners of GB News have made it clear the channel is not for sale 👍

The welsh version of Paw Patrol gets more viewers, I'm comparing with an entertainment channel as OFCOM don't class them as a news channel.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The welsh version of Paw Patrol gets more viewers, I'm comparing with an entertainment channel as OFCOM don't class them as a news channel.

I'm pretty sure no one cares what Lefty OFCOM classes anything as. 'Least of all GB News' increasing audience.

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary

38 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Herman, how would you feel if your bank closed your account because you're a PEP without enough cash?

I would think that was fair enough as it is their business, their rules.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

Bloody tory! You'll be wanting us to join the thatcherite common market and to close the coal mines next!

41 minutes ago, Herman said:

Allow me to rephase the question: How would you feel if your bank was ant-woke and closed your account because they didn't like your Lefty political views?

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Privately debanking anyone shouldn't be lawful in the first place

This is simply incomprehensible to me. Why on Earth would anyone want an autocracy that dictates to a company who it does and doesn't accept for its custom because the government says it’s for their own good?

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

This is simply incomprehensible to me. Why on Earth would anyone want an autocracy that dictates to a company who it does and doesn't accept for its custom because the government says it’s for their own good?

Oh God, good evening Che..

I'm off for a pint.

1 minute ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Okay, I'll probably have three or four.. 🙃

Probably on your own at home though. I'm right, aren't I?

26 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Allow me to rephase the question: How would you feel if your bank was ant-woke and closed your account because they didn't like your Lefty political views?

I'd think the bank we're even bigger bellends than I'd realised and would be glad to be away from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Because it prevents discrimination?