Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Jools

The Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

The funny thing is if you were 'Labour Leaver' in a Tory seat i.e. Yarmouth (and there are lots of them) the BXP at least gave you single issue place to vote that wasn't Tory for Brexit. Now you might as well stay with Labour. This strikes me as neutral and may well backfire! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is the day that Project Fear died

Matthew Lynn 

11 November 2019

12:43 PM

 
Screen-Shot-2015-09-19-at-11.16.41.jpeg?
 

We were about to crash out of the EU without a deal. The political system was in deadlock. Businesses were fleeing the country and investment was drying up, all against a backdrop of global trade wars and slumping demand across the eurozone. And what happened to the British economy against all those headwinds? As we learned this morning, it sailed right through the storm with steady, if hardly spectacular, growth. It now looks certain that far from reducing us all to poverty, leaving the EU won’t even create a brief technical recession. The predictions of catastrophe could hardly have been more wrong. If you had to choose a day to officially declare Project Fear dead, this would be it.

The more swivel-eyed Remainers looking for an economic catastrophe to persuade us all of the foolishness of Brexit must have pinned their hopes on this morning’s GDP report. The economy contracted in the second quarter of 2019, so if it was down again this time that would make two consecutive quarters of declining output – the textbook definition of a recession. After all, there were plenty of problems. The Johnson government had turned the no-deal rhetoric to eleven which must have worried some businesses along with foreign investors. Deadlines for leaving the EU came and went. And the global economy entered what looked like a sharp slowdown. It was always going to be a tough slog to grow through all of that.

And yet today’s figures show a 0.3 per cent expansion. That is not a great figure, and it was slightly below the 0.4 per cent the City consensus forecast, but it was still perfectly respectable. It’s as good as most comparable economies, and significantly better than Germany which is almost certainly going to find itself in a recession when it releases its figures on Thursday. In fact, despite all the gloom the economy is surprisingly robust. A mix of rising entrepreneurship, record employment and robust spending, helped by real wages that are starting to accelerate, have kept the expansion going. It will almost certainly get better in 2020.

One way or another, it looks as if the general election will resolve our tortured departure from the EU, and the most likely outcome – leaving with the current deal – will reassure companies nothing much will change. Whoever wins, there is going to be a huge rise in government spending, which will lift demand. A modest revival in the eurozone, a steadying in China, and a pre-election splurge in the United States may well lift global demand helping our exporters. Of course a Corbyn government may crash the economy. But that aside, the expansion looks set to continue and may well turn into one of the longest in history.

 

The referendum result, we were told, would crash the economy. When that didn’t happen, actually leaving would. Today’s figures show that this isn’t going to happen either. It isn’t even going to create a modest slowdown. The reality is that UK membership of the EU never made much difference to the economy one way or another. We may have two or three more months of warnings of catastrophe to come. But from today that can finally be dismissed as laughable fear-mongering – and Project Fear is surely finally over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More on Nigel the pantomime puppet - 

"I think our action, this announcement today, prevents a second referendum from happening,” he said.

"And that to me, I think right now, is the single most important thing in our country.

 

To the phrase "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice .... " well, there cannot be a twice, like all good authoritarians, "you voted once, now we take it from here" is the gameplan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jools said:

Today is the day that Project Fear died

Matthew Lynn 

11 November 2019

12:43 PM

 
Screen-Shot-2015-09-19-at-11.16.41.jpeg?
 

We were about to crash out of the EU without a deal. The political system was in deadlock. Businesses were fleeing the country and investment was drying up, all against a backdrop of global trade wars and slumping demand across the eurozone. And what happened to the British economy against all those headwinds? As we learned this morning, it sailed right through the storm with steady, if hardly spectacular, growth. It now looks certain that far from reducing us all to poverty, leaving the EU won’t even create a brief technical recession. The predictions of catastrophe could hardly have been more wrong. If you had to choose a day to officially declare Project Fear dead, this would be it.

The more swivel-eyed Remainers looking for an economic catastrophe to persuade us all of the foolishness of Brexit must have pinned their hopes on this morning’s GDP report. The economy contracted in the second quarter of 2019, so if it was down again this time that would make two consecutive quarters of declining output – the textbook definition of a recession. After all, there were plenty of problems. The Johnson government had turned the no-deal rhetoric to eleven which must have worried some businesses along with foreign investors. Deadlines for leaving the EU came and went. And the global economy entered what looked like a sharp slowdown. It was always going to be a tough slog to grow through all of that.

And yet today’s figures show a 0.3 per cent expansion. That is not a great figure, and it was slightly below the 0.4 per cent the City consensus forecast, but it was still perfectly respectable. It’s as good as most comparable economies, and significantly better than Germany which is almost certainly going to find itself in a recession when it releases its figures on Thursday. In fact, despite all the gloom the economy is surprisingly robust. A mix of rising entrepreneurship, record employment and robust spending, helped by real wages that are starting to accelerate, have kept the expansion going. It will almost certainly get better in 2020.

One way or another, it looks as if the general election will resolve our tortured departure from the EU, and the most likely outcome – leaving with the current deal – will reassure companies nothing much will change. Whoever wins, there is going to be a huge rise in government spending, which will lift demand. A modest revival in the eurozone, a steadying in China, and a pre-election splurge in the United States may well lift global demand helping our exporters. Of course a Corbyn government may crash the economy. But that aside, the expansion looks set to continue and may well turn into one of the longest in history.

 

The referendum result, we were told, would crash the economy. When that didn’t happen, actually leaving would. Today’s figures show that this isn’t going to happen either. It isn’t even going to create a modest slowdown. The reality is that UK membership of the EU never made much difference to the economy one way or another. We may have two or three more months of warnings of catastrophe to come. But from today that can finally be dismissed as laughable fear-mongering – and Project Fear is surely finally over.

So, about that bet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't cry Ms.Swinson, no one takes you seriously anyway

 

After filing papers at the High Court against ITV over its decision to exclude Jo Swinson from the head-to-head leaders' debate, LibDem president Sal Brinton said: "General elections are about people's democratic choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jools said:

Today is the day that Project Fear died

Matthew Lynn 

11 November 2019

12:43 PM

 
Screen-Shot-2015-09-19-at-11.16.41.jpeg?
 

We were about to crash out of the EU without a deal. The political system was in deadlock. Businesses were fleeing the country and investment was drying up, all against a backdrop of global trade wars and slumping demand across the eurozone. And what happened to the British economy against all those headwinds? As we learned this morning, it sailed right through the storm with steady, if hardly spectacular, growth. It now looks certain that far from reducing us all to poverty, leaving the EU won’t even create a brief technical recession. The predictions of catastrophe could hardly have been more wrong. If you had to choose a day to officially declare Project Fear dead, this would be it.

The more swivel-eyed Remainers looking for an economic catastrophe to persuade us all of the foolishness of Brexit must have pinned their hopes on this morning’s GDP report. The economy contracted in the second quarter of 2019, so if it was down again this time that would make two consecutive quarters of declining output – the textbook definition of a recession. After all, there were plenty of problems. The Johnson government had turned the no-deal rhetoric to eleven which must have worried some businesses along with foreign investors. Deadlines for leaving the EU came and went. And the global economy entered what looked like a sharp slowdown. It was always going to be a tough slog to grow through all of that.

And yet today’s figures show a 0.3 per cent expansion. That is not a great figure, and it was slightly below the 0.4 per cent the City consensus forecast, but it was still perfectly respectable. It’s as good as most comparable economies, and significantly better than Germany which is almost certainly going to find itself in a recession when it releases its figures on Thursday. In fact, despite all the gloom the economy is surprisingly robust. A mix of rising entrepreneurship, record employment and robust spending, helped by real wages that are starting to accelerate, have kept the expansion going. It will almost certainly get better in 2020.

One way or another, it looks as if the general election will resolve our tortured departure from the EU, and the most likely outcome – leaving with the current deal – will reassure companies nothing much will change. Whoever wins, there is going to be a huge rise in government spending, which will lift demand. A modest revival in the eurozone, a steadying in China, and a pre-election splurge in the United States may well lift global demand helping our exporters. Of course a Corbyn government may crash the economy. But that aside, the expansion looks set to continue and may well turn into one of the longest in history.

 

The referendum result, we were told, would crash the economy. When that didn’t happen, actually leaving would. Today’s figures show that this isn’t going to happen either. It isn’t even going to create a modest slowdown. The reality is that UK membership of the EU never made much difference to the economy one way or another. We may have two or three more months of warnings of catastrophe to come. But from today that can finally be dismissed as laughable fear-mongering – and Project Fear is surely finally over.

They laughed, but they ain't laughing now

Edited by Rock The Boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So, about that bet?

Now that you won't be getting any of Labours freebies from the Magic Money Tree I think you should consider looking after your finances rather than giving me a portion of your minimum wage 😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you trying to tell us that our worst growth records for a decade is proof that Brexit was a good idea? Add the fact that stockpiling saved them from being even worse. 

Do you want to buy some magic beans? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Are you trying to tell us that our worst growth records for a decade is proof that Brexit was a good idea? Add the fact that stockpiling saved them from being even worse. 

Do you want to buy some magic beans? 

Your beans have been well and truly baked.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

They laughed, but they ain't laughing now

Well, we have Hermione a couple of pages back saying us Brexiteers have been wrong time and again and that we've lied throughout this whole debacle -- That's an extraordinarily strange claim considering it's Brexiteers who have constantly refuted Remainiac, Project Fear fabrication 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jools said:
And yet today’s figures show a 0.3 per cent expansion. That is not a great figure, and it was slightly below the 0.4 per cent the City consensus forecast,

Slightly below !

nyou are worse than hand crank - that figure is 25% worse than what was projected, and in the real world we have

" Britain's economy has grown at the slowest annual rate in almost a decade, according to official figures. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50373505

and the UK was saved bt a massive intervention by the Bank of England a month after the referendum, by pumping £160 billion into the economy and halving iterest rates

to put it in another way Osborne's budget was akin to swimming out to save a drowning man - the BoE  response was sending out both a lifeboat and a helicopter for that same drowning man, and you halfwits still bleat that nothing was needed to be done

god, you brexiteers are thick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Do you want to buy some magic beans? 

I'd rather give you a couple of my brain cells 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jools said:

Well, we have Hermione a couple of pages back saying us Brexiteers have been wrong time and again and that we've lied throughout this whole debacle -- That's an extraordinarily strange claim considering it's Brexiteers who have constantly refuted Remainiac, Project Fear fabrication 😀

bring back hand crank 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So, about that bet?

steady, he'll be accusing YOU of stealing £1000 when he loses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

Brexit not happening, Bill?

wot about Cpt Pants then ? 😏

or even Disco Dale, is he lurking, ready to pounce as he did yesterday ? 🗣️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bill said:

wot about Cpt Pants then ? 😏

or even Disco Dale, is he lurking, ready to pounce as he did yesterday ? 🗣️

So deflecting now. Brexit never going to happen has been your big three-year lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jools said:

Now that you won't be getting any of Labours freebies from the Magic Money Tree I think you should consider looking after your finances rather than giving me a portion of your minimum wage 😜

Cluck, cluck, cluck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Herman said:

Are you trying to tell us that our worst growth records for a decade is proof that Brexit was a good idea? Add the fact that stockpiling saved them from being even worse. 

Yes, yes they are Herman. Just like Republicans touting the simple continuation of Obama era economic numbers as a “Trump miracle” and conveniently forgetting to mention the massive business tax cuts they passed didn’t stimulate the economy and tax revenues but instead have doubled the annual budget deficit. 

Oh for press and TV journalists to hold their feet to the fire to force them to explain their plans and tell the truth.

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Yes, yes they are Herman. Just like Republicans touting the simple continuation of Obama era economic numbers as a “Trump miracle” and conveniently forget to mention the massive tax cuts for businesses they passed didn’t work and have doubled the annual budget deficit. 

Oh for press and TV journalists to hold their feet to the fire to force them to explain their plans and tell the truth.

Oh dear Surfer, Obama left the stage three years ago. Claiming credit for what's happening today is scraping the barrel. Since Turmp came in all the economic indicators have turned green. And in the UK we're heading for the longest sustained run of economic growth since the war. It's because the Conservatives are trusted on the economy that people vote for them. We don't vote for Corbyn because we don't want to be another Venezuela.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

.... Since Turmp came in all the economic indicators have turned green.... in the UK we're heading for the longest sustained run of economic growth since the war.

Really, or do you just make this stuff up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So deflecting now. Brexit never going to happen has been your big three-year lie.

oh dear, hand crank

you do make it so easy for others to see who you are

merely stating that something will not happen is not a lie, in fact the lie is you claiming that it is

now why not tell us if you and Van Wink are the same, and maybe explain why you did not know the A11 had been dualled - or why Disco Dale had been silent for a week only to post an attack on me a bare few minutes after I put a fairly innocuos post

 

ps I'm not bothered about the post just curious why you have no answer to me claim that you are the same as with any number of other right wing weirdos

pps I'm off out to rob the lead of the British Legion roof so see if you can find Len or bagster in the meantime

toodle pip old multi named bigot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So its looking pretty much like Mays deal with a bit of fiddling around the borders.

Whoever would have thought that 🧐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Oh dear Surfer, Obama left the stage three years ago. Claiming credit for what's happening today is scraping the barrel. Since Turmp came in all the economic indicators have turned green. And in the UK we're heading for the longest sustained run of economic growth since the war. It's because the Conservatives are trusted on the economy that people vote for them. We don't vote for Corbyn because we don't want to be another Venezuela.

You just proved my point RTB.

The only thing that has turned "green" is you and your friends with envy.

Yes the Republicans and Tories are "trusted" with the economy, although the economic statistics prove that is a lie, primarily because that has been their "brand" for 50 years. But it's now equivalent to what corporate vultures do - take over a bankrupt company that has a respected brand, leverage it up with debt, and hope the customers don't realize the new products now being made in Vietnam and still sold at regular prices are not the same as the old quality products the company used to sell. 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Van wink said:

So its looking pretty much like Mays deal with a bit of fiddling around the borders.

Whoever would have thought that 🧐

I'm sure I predicted that when Johnson got the job. Repackage the crappy deal, call it a Boris special deal and the mugs will lap it up. What a ship of fools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm sure I predicted that when Johnson got the job. Repackage the crappy deal, call it a Boris special deal and the mugs will lap it up. What a ship of fools.

You may well have done Herman, it’s pretty much the same deal. What’s changed now is it looks as if most the Brexiteers are now willing to buy into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

You may well have done Herman, it’s pretty much the same deal. What’s changed now is it looks as if most the Brexiteers are now willing to buy into it. 

Received the following from Sir Nigel  via email half an hour ago, Winkerton:

 

"Let me explain how we came to this difficult decision. When Boris Johnson came back with his new EU Treaty, I made no secret of my concerns. Two aspects, in particular, stood out. First, it did not ‘get Brexit done’ – it would mean at least another three years of agonising negotiations in which EU negotiator Monsieur Barnier would have the upper hand. And second, the Treaty meant we were committing ourselves to regulatory and political alignment with EU rules on everything from our fishing to our financial services.

That’s why last week we signed 600 Brexit Party candidate nomination forms because I felt that in a democracy everybody deserves a genuine choice.

Last night, however, I heard something from Boris Johnson that at last made me feel more optimistic. In a video, the Prime Minister said that he would not extend the Transition Period beyond the end of 2020 – a huge challenge to Barnier and Juncker.

Even more importantly, Boris said that he would seek a ‘super Canada-plus’ free trade deal with the EU, with no political alignment. That is a significant step in the right direction. It starts to look more like the Brexit that 17.4m of us voted for.

So, we have decided to give Boris half a chance, and focus on taking the fight to Labour in their Brexit heartlands. It was The Brexit Party that beat Labour here in the May European elections – and we can, with your help, do it again. There are millions of traditional Labour voters waiting for a party that is on their side, that believes in bringing more money and jobs back to the regions, that says we need sensible immigration controls. These are messages that will resonate hard in those Labour Leave areas.

How do we hold Boris to his promises? We have to start winning some of those Labour seats, by making Corbyn’s Labour pay for their betrayal of Brexit. Getting MPs into Parliament is the way we can hold Mr Johnson to account. We cannot win those seats without your help.

I have no great love for the Conservative Party. But I see stopping the Remainers and their rigged second referendum as the biggest issue facing our country. Our actions today have stopped the Remain alliance in its tracks."

 

 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if there is a majority for it (I suspect that there is) the right thing to do would be to put it to the British people so that there can be a clear majority for it; not conflate it with a GE which by its FTTP nature will probably lead to a new Tory government with a majority of seats but not a majority of votes. Just like three of the past four Republicans Presidents over here who lost the popular vote count.... 

I see Nigel is claiming that a second referendum would be "rigged" - more Trumpian paranoia / propaganda. 

 " But I see stopping the Remainers and their rigged second referendum as the biggest issue facing our country " 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×