Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Philip Heise

Not a dig as it's clearly not his fault but...had anyone else forgotten he exists?

Edited by king canary
Typo. Although he's also not a dog.

Part of the squad. By all accounts he was going to be signing in the summer anyway so this is just an extended settling in period/bit of cover if required job between now and May

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not a dig as it's clearly not his fault but...had anyone else forgotten he exists?

Yes. So much so, when i read the thread title, I thought it was the first of many, many threads just quoting the name of a random transfer 'target'!

50 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Yes. So much so, when i read the thread title, I thought it was the first of many, many threads just quoting the name of a random transfer 'target'!

In the 'what do we need next season' thread I almost put 'cover at left back' and then the memory of his signing popped up.

Wonder if he might get a couple of runouts if we secure promotion early.

He hasn't, not sure he's even been on the bench yet.

Certainly a signing we needed to make though, imagine getting stuck with Ivo Pinto at left back for any number of weeks.

2 hours ago, Essex_Canary said:

Part of the squad. By all accounts he was going to be signing in the summer anyway so this is just an extended settling in period/bit of cover if required job between now and May

Agreeing with the comments above about being here to act as cover in the run in, I suspect the 'home grown' rules has played a part in who sits on the subs bench.

And if he turns out like almost all the others then we can wait.

The interesting question is what his arrival implies about what SW and DF see as our needs for next season. Heise is an experienced 27-year old, so hardly fits the orthodox view of our recruitment strategy of "young, talented and with likely added re-sale value".

That begs the question of is he seen as being able to compete at PL.

Webber has stated that along with Farke they have identified signings for both possibilities next season. So we have to presume that when Heise was being lined up for the summer that was factored in ie us in the PL

If we go up it would be curious to  'this is what you would have won'  in the way of players had stayed in the Championship

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

That begs the question of is he seen as being able to compete at PL.

Webber has stated that along with Farke they have identified signings for both possibilities next season. So we have to presume that when Heise was being lined up for the summer that was factored in ie us in the PL

If we go up it would be curious to  'this is what you would have won'  in the way of players had stayed in the Championship

When Heise signed, DF specifically mentioned his having played at a EPL level, by which I presume he meant Heise's time at Stuttgart. So yes, I think he is seen as able to compete at that level.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

When Heise signed, DF specifically mentioned his having played at a EPL level, by which I presume he meant Heise's time at Stuttgart. So yes, I think he is seen as able to compete at that level.

Good to know & the fact is when Jamal was out at one point it forced us into some uncomfortable squad choices which justifies having him. It’s no wonder that he’s not had a look in yet.

2 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

The interesting question is what his arrival implies about what SW and DF see as our needs for next season. Heise is an experienced 27-year old, so hardly fits the orthodox view of our recruitment strategy of "young, talented and with likely added re-sale value".

Seems like a Watkins/McLean/Pukki sort of signing to me. In their prime and so cheap that even if they flop they don't make it here they'll probably still make profit in the following window.