Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

City players and World War One

Or maybe

in fact it was two days later and it was not his first post either

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of someone having a go at others with his 'holier than thou' claims when he didn't even go to the Remembrance service last year

and now he lies about this one

as I have said, each to their own thoughts and expressions about this matter

One of the things that comes up every year at this time - and especially this year when it is the centenary of the end of WW1 - is the discussion it engenders and that is good. The messages of history are there for every one to see and try and understand and it should make everyone think.  

I've probably said this already, but institutions should not be insisting people wear a poppy, or indelibly adding it to their employees' uniforms or kit.  it should be a matter of choice and people should not be villified for not wearing one. The more people insist on it, the more politicised it becomes, the more of a thing it becomes when people don't wear one, which leads to persecution and a lack of freedom to express your thoughts and feelings about something in the way you choose to.  Too much of modern society is becoming a thing of dictation - you must do this, you must do that, you musn't think this, you musn't think that.

The printed poppy on a football shirt simply should not be there.  The poppy in itelf is not a political thing, but if you print it on a shirt and make people wear it regardless of what they believe or think, you are making it into a political thing. 

I have been moved to tears this weekend by some of the remembrance stuff, the folly of war and the pointlessness of it and the suffering.  However, the very hint of forcing people to wear a poppy makes me cringe, as it seems to devalue what many people believed they were fighting for - freedom from dictators.

So the poppy shouldn't feature on the shirt but it's ok for a gambling logo to be emblazoned across the front?......

What if the those made to wear the shirt, abhor gambling?......I suppose it's not political, so therefore it's ok then?.....

No one is being 'made to wear a shirt' so stop being silly.

The requirement to wear a shirt with one of the club's sponsors logos on would have been made known and agreed by the player when he signed the contract.

This is not the same, as you well know.

Edited by Bill

9 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

So the poppy shouldn't feature on the shirt but it's ok for a gambling logo to be emblazoned across the front?......

What if the those made to wear the shirt, abhor gambling?......I suppose it's not political, so therefore it's ok then?.....

Printing a poppy on a shirt is an empty gesture. Does a football club give money to the Britsh Legion to put the poppy on the shirt?  I don't expect so - but they would have to have paid money to the shirt makers to have the poppy printed on it - money which could have been given to charity.  It's one of things where it looks as if a football club is doing the right thing, but in reality it is just presenting an image - something that is designed to give a good impression, but is not really doing anything.

Maybe football clubs give to charity, maybe they don't, it's not for me to say, it is up to them, but presenting a corporate image is all printing a poppy on a shirt is.  It is making the club look good rather than individual players, who could wear actual poppies on the shirt at the beginning of the match - money spent on poppies, rather than spent on extra shirt printing.

We behave like sheep a lot of the time - and companies, the media and politicians try to use that to their own advantage.  Remembrance is a personal thing - everyone has their own memories and thoughts about it - and how we express that is deeply personal and should not be hijacked by corporate political correctness protocols.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

And that moving photo sums it up - deep personal emotions is what it is about, not corporate imagery.

Tbf, it’s the royal family’s only purpose. None of them have done a hard day’s work in their life.

Tbf, it’s the royal family’s only purpose. None of them have done a hard day’s work in their life.

A bit like the majority of career politicians then.......