Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

European Super League

Why stop it? The Prem is absolutely 5hite.

Total cartel, utterly boring and anti-competition.

Until the Prem has some measures to make it a league in which everyone can compete, it will remain a pointless cash cow for most teams in it.

NFL has it right - salary cap, salary floor, and the worst team in the league has first choice over players in the draft and then it follows in reverse order with the best team picking last in the draft. That means the league is always rand you rarely get teams dominating for years and years - any period of dominance is time limited. I know we don't have a draft system, but it would massively improve English football if there was a centralised academy for the top youngsters and the top 3 divisions had a 3 round draft, ensuring that there were good young British players at every club in the top 3 divisions on a constant conveyor belt of talent.

Get shot of the big boys and make the top English league a competition again. I'd be glad to see the back of them. Sure, it means that the worlds best players would go to the Euro league but you could have a very decent standard English top flight, which would be far more interesting to watch. Euro league would have viewer appeal as it would be relatively competitive as all club's on an equal footing.

Good riddance I say, let's put some parity back into football.

Edited by kick it off

36 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Why stop it? The Prem is absolutely 5hite.

Total cartel, utterly boring and anti-competition.

Until the Prem has some measures to make it a league in which everyone can compete, it will remain a pointless cash cow for most teams in it.

NFL has it right - salary cap, salary floor, and the worst team in the league has first choice over players in the draft and then it follows in reverse order with the best team picking last in the draft. That means the league is always rand you rarely get teams dominating for years and years - any period of dominance is time limited. I know we don't have a draft system, but it would massively improve English football if there was a centralised academy for the top youngsters and the top 3 divisions had a 3 round draft, ensuring that there were good young British players at every club in the top 3 divisions on a constant conveyor belt of talent.

Get shot of the big boys and make the top English league a competition again. I'd be glad to see the back of them. Sure, it means that the worlds best players would go to the Euro league but you could have a very decent standard English top flight, which would be far more interesting to watch. Euro league would have viewer appeal as it would be relatively competitive as all club's on an equal footing.

Good riddance I say, let's put some parity back into football.

It is not clear to me that these clubs would leave the Premier League. This seems to be being touted as a cup-competion replacement for the Champions League rather than as the total breakaway all-season European Super League that has been talked about for decades.

I can't think of a worse model to follow than the NFL. If you live life with the view that nothing good ever came out of America you won't go far wrong. The problem with the Premier League is that it is independent of the Football Association and the problem with the Football Association is that it is run by a bunch of old fools. 

Try telling fans of Leicester and Bournemouth that it's impossible to compete in the Premier League. It is possible. 

What isn't mentioned in the BBC report is that in the thousands of documents leaked to the media there is not a single mention of the fans. 

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is not clear to me that these clubs would leave the Premier League. This seems to be being touted as a cup-competion replacement for the Champions League rather than as the total breakaway all-season European Super League that has been talked about for decades.

It is a breakaway super league with membership guaranteed for 20 years. It is not a knock out competition and members would have to leave their current league 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
Error

Leicester was a total anomaly - once in a generation. We all know that.

Bournemouth compete? Remind me precisely what they have won? They've finished 16th, 9th and 12th. Yeah OK, they are a small club participating in the top flight, but that's all they will ever do until we get the big boys out. How much money has bankrolled Bournemouth's competitiveness even to the level of participant? What's the most exciting thing to happen to Bournemouth in the last 3 years since they went up? Precisely illustrates my point.

In over 25 years 49 clubs have competed in the Prem - only 14 teams have ever managed to finish in the top 4, only 6 different title winners - since 2004, there have been 3 different clubs to lift the trophy. IT'S BLOODY BORING!!

What is the problem with the NFL system? Every single club has a couple of star players, different teams are competitive each year. Even the dynasty teams only last 5 years or so before they have to rebuild and others get opportunities. It's far more interesting than watching Man U, Man C and Chelsea compete for the title every year with their billion pound teams, whipping the minnows almost without fail.

Edited by kick it off

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It is a breakaway super league with membership guaranteed for 20 years. It is not a knock out competition and members would have to leave their current league 

I had only seen the Guardian report, which says the idea is that this would replace the Champions League, with a very similar format, starting with a group stage and then going to a knock-out  finale, with no mention of clubs leaving their respective leagues. I now see the BBC report does mention the latter, but only a possibility rather than a certainty:

As part of their plans, the clubs allegedly discussed "an option for leaving the national leagues and their football associations behind entirely".

If clubs were forced to leave their domestic competition it would be a good thing and something to welcome. It would return a degree of unpredictability to the domestic competitions which would become far more competitive.

It seems like a natural progression to me. The big boys usually get what they want in the end. As always it's a case of follow the money.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

I've been saying this for a while. However they do benefit from having something of a closed shop which no football league has. 

The NFL system actually rewards teams for better coaching and team building rather than letting them just throw money at every and any problem they have. 

Absolutely I think the money would make or break the idea. At the moment the Prem gets paid unfeasible amounts for the TV rights. Would a super league generate higher amounts?

Clearly if some of the top clubs left, the Prem TV revenues would take a hit as well. 

I thinks its it’s one of those ideas that gets mooted every few years. I’m not convinced it would be that much more attractive to TV than the current Champions League, not sure how much is paid for that but I don’t think it’s as massive as for the Prem.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I had only seen the Guardian report, which says the idea is that this would replace the Champions League, with a very similar format, starting with a group stage and then going to a knock-out  finale, with no mention of clubs leaving their respective leagues. I now see the BBC report does mention the latter, but only a possibility rather than a certainty:

As part of their plans, the clubs allegedly discussed "an option for leaving the national leagues and their football associations behind entirely".

To expand this point, I can see that the self-elected 11 permanent (ie for 20 years) members might be willing to break away, but not so much the five temporary guest clubs.

Take Borussia Dortmund. If they joined this competition the likely outcome is that everyone connected with the move, certainly the owners, all the executives and quite possibly the players as well, would be banned for life from German football.

Fast-foward a few years and the elite 11 dump Borussia in favour of RB Leipzig or Bournemouth, or whoever. At best Borussia, shorn of their owners, executives and perhaps all their players, are allowed back into the heavily regionalised Oberliga, which is the fifth tier of German football. Not sure a club would risk that.

Great for the Asians and Americans. Obviously ****s over the real fans but they don't matter, I'm sure people will still attend the games.

It is plain a simply a move that would make top-level football more inaccessible to those without a stack of disposable cash, and for that reason I would be against it.