Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I couldn't believe how they had changed. Thing is Parker only uses them as a live band and is more of a studio writer.

I think people are a bit weary of studio music and want it raw. 

A modern musical phenomena? When a band becomes less interesting but at the same time gets far more fans. I shall call it the Coldplay Law.😀

Chris Martin said a week ago that he never listens to Coldplay and "can't stand it" and my son muttered under his breath "nor can we"

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 3

I remember Coldplay were playing at the arts centre promoted as the next big thing. I didn’t bother and I’ve never regretted it. Having said that I’ve got their first single which is ok

First album was very good in their defence. So to be polite I'll say they peaked very early. 

Yeah, to be fair, they were a little different when they first 'hit the scene'. Some good drumming patterns for example. I'm listening to Everything Everything who are a bit Coldplay-ish but with a much darker and deeper political undertone (or even you could say menace). Jonathan Higgs' lyrics are fairly subversive / anti-capitalist which "Yellow" could never quite aspire to.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

RIP.

They were not that much my thing but at that time I had a longish non-motorway car journey I made frequently and I would stop at this roadside café and put that on the jukebox*, along with some other evocative song I cannot now recall.

*Ask your grandparents or greatgrandparents...

• Like 1

Must say how much I've been enjoying the music posted by this little corner of the Pinkun (the music fraternity). It's been a real antidote to the football (and much else) these last 4/5 months. A big thanks to Herman,  Fenway Frank, Purple, Keelansgrandad, Mr Angry, The Raptor, Midlands, Kick It Off, Ron Obvious, How I Wrote Elastic Man and all the others who've posted selections (must be 20 or 30 pages). Keep 'em coming.

Music is such a great thing (which I realise sounds like that Fast Show character who says "Ain't milk brilliant" .....I accept!)

• Thanks 3

There are people that say they really like music and then there is a real love for it. Music can take through all the emotions can’t it ? Rage against the machine make me want to punch something 😁, Motown, incredibly happy or sad. Fairy Tale of New York and I’m losing it completely 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cheers, it’s my partners brother doing the music. 

Liked that very much. Saved to my playlist 🙂

15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

How a bit of Mike Peters for watching Cardiff tonight.

Ah the Rhondda....that's a place close to my heart VW (quarter of my ancestry on mother's side). Loved listening to my great uncle's mining stories too (I'm fairly sure that is where my politics were formed or very strongly influenced).

Just now, sonyc said:

Ah the Rhondda....that's a place close to my heart VW (quarter of my ancestry on mother's side). Loved listening to my great uncle's mining stories too (I'm fairly sure that is where my politics were formed or very strongly influenced).

Bit further up the valley for me

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Bit further up the valley for me

Trealaw and some Pembrokeshire for me.

Hoped to visit this year but C19 came along 😞

Just now, sonyc said:

Trealaw and some Pembrokeshire for me.

Hoped to visit this year but C19 came along 😞

Brynmawr

Lot of folk from Gloucestershire and Wiltshire left England when the cloth industry failed in the 1870s for the S Wales coal

18 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Lot of folk from Gloucestershire and Wiltshire left England when the cloth industry failed in the 1870s for the S Wales coal

Indeed they did, as did the Irish a bit earlier. Rape of the Fair Country.. Alexander Cordell is a pleasant read, but I’m sure you’ve read it .

Edited by Van wink

18 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Indeed they did, as did the Irish a bit earlier. Rape of the Fair Country.. Alexander Cordell is a pleasant read, but I’m sure you’ve read it .

I've not read that but know of it. Will eBay it.

I read How Green Was My Valley though in lockdown. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sonyc said:

Must say how much I've been enjoying the music posted by this little corner of the Pinkun (the music fraternity). It's been a real antidote to the football (and much else) these last 4/5 months. A big thanks to Herman,  Fenway Frank, Purple, Keelansgrandad, Mr Angry, The Raptor, Midlands, Kick It Off, Ron Obvious, How I Wrote Elastic Man and all the others who've posted selections (must be 20 or 30 pages). Keep 'em coming.

Music is such a great thing (which I realise sounds like that Fast Show character who says "Ain't milk brilliant" .....I accept!)

Absolutely. I have enjoyed being introduced to music I otherwise would not have heard. I confess that as someone whose musical decade was the 1960s I have always been a bit condescendingly snobbish about anything that came after, so probably missed out on good stuff.

That said I would still make the case that it beats all other eras for lasting quality. The other day I reread White Bicycles, the autobiography/memoir by Joe Boyd, in which he says: 'As to the sixties' musical bequest, other generations will decide whether it proves more durable than that of the later decades of the century. I wouldn't bet against it.'

One of the songs from one of the records Boyd produced back then: