Sign in to follow this  
Norwich City Fans Social Club

Norwich City Fans Social Club - Our Next Event - Fans Forum

[quote user="king canary"]The write up on the official site was a bit depressing in that it just talked about how much we could sell players for, rather than about what they could do for us on the pitch.[/quote]I didn''t find it depressing KC. They were realistic - any club will fail to hold to players that attract sustained interest from the Premier league in the long term. If Villa haven''t got promotion at the end of parachute payments, they will lose Grealish. What they wanted to ensure was that they maximised the amount of money they receive. They suggested, for example, that there was interest in Goddard last year but will obviously we will be able to obtain more if a young player has a season or two in the Championship.I thought Stone had some interesting things to say on FFP and suggested that he was worried about the long term interests of clubs whose owners have little attachment to the club/ area after the gamble on promotion has failed. He also spoke of a move (not yet approved and it may not be) towards punishing FFP offenders in-year with points deductions and that FFP was being more closely monitored.He said that he would rather be in our position than Sheffield Wednesday or Birmingham who had "gone for it" and failed to achieve promotion.

[quote user="king canary"]The write up on the official site was a bit depressing in that it just talked about how much we could sell players for, rather than about what they could do for us on the pitch.[/quote]

I wouldn''t agree that it was depressing.When Webber was talking about the development of academy players he said that there were three in particular that they were excited about.If those three made the move to the first team,in the same way Aarons has,apart from the fact it would mean its three less players that we have to buy,it also means their value would increase not merely by their involvement but the fact they would be home/produced.

I don''t think it was intended to highlight their transfer value over the contribution to the team,just explaining the added value of a successful Academy.

As I said I hadn''t considered the added value beyond what a successful Academy player contributes to the playing side of NCFC

[quote user="Grumpy"]Interesting point made by Stone that players such as Naismith were not still on Premiership wages and that Delia and Michael held all the shares and they were not in trust for nephew Tom.I got the impression that it surprised one or two present.

The connection between bringing on academy players to count as home grown/produced players and also the knock on effect to the increase in their value was not something that had occurred to me.[/quote]
This trust arrangement was mentioned a year or more ago, but was never explained in any detail, and as far as I am aware the EDP has never asked the several obvious questions about it. The impression was that it would be some kind of future interim arrangement between Smith and Jones giving up control, for whatever reason, and Tom taking over. But at the moment Smith and Jones must still own all their majority shareholding, because otherwise that would constiture a change of ownership.

Legal interest or beneficial interest, that’s the $64,000 question, Purple, although, maybe, the eyes are gazing in the wrong direction?

Firstly I would like to thank the organisers for their efforts. I can quite understand why some think it was a depressing meeting because both directors were open and honest and realistic as regards the future of English football. It is more or less controlled by SKY who are only interested in the Premiership and giving it plenty of hype to increase its revenue from non-UK income. In this country it is becoming a bit of overkill with live football nearly every night. As the directors pointed out the Championship will have to survive on cheap foreign imports plus the Academy. The Club seems to think that Daniel Farke, given time, has the skill to bring these kind of players to a level whereby we will challenge to join the Premiership. Whilst it appears he has a good relationship with the Board/players, I have to honestly say I have seen little evidence on the pitch that he will achieve this objective. I did come away from the meeting with the view that both Stuart and Steve were very competent guys with a realistic view of our prospects. I think the fans will find Championship football acceptable, providing it is entertaining. As usual time will tell.

Clarifying, my comment wasn''t made as a pop at Webber- more that the way football is at the moment means the reality of how players can be viewed is a bit depressing.