Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Michee Efete

Returns to the club at the end of this month.

I seem to remember that there were in the past a lot of very good reports about this youngster from those in the know.

How good a prospect have we here?

How far away is he from making the breakthrough?

Has his spell in Iceland turned him into one of God''s frozen people or has he progressed accordingly?

From the City site:

"CITY can confirm that Under-23s defender Michee Efete has joined Breidablik on loan.

Efete, 20, will stay with the Icelandic outfit until June 30, with their domestic campaign running from May to September.

The versatile defender made 36 appearances for City’s development squad last season and will have the one-year option in his contract triggered ahead of next season."

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Returns to the club at the end of this month.

I seem to remember that there were in the past a lot of very good reports about this youngster from those in the know.

How good a prospect have we here?

How far away is he from making the breakthrough?

Has his spell in Iceland turned him into one of God''s frozen people or has he progressed accordingly?

From the City site:

"CITY can confirm that Under-23s defender Michee Efete has joined Breidablik on loan.

Efete, 20, will stay with the Icelandic outfit until June 30, with their domestic campaign running from May to September.

The versatile defender made 36 appearances for City’s development squad last season and will have the one-year option in his contract triggered ahead of next season."[/quote]It was a while ago but the used to send it''s young players to the Scandinavian leagues during the summer, Jeremy Goss spent some time in Sweden.Hopefully the experience will benefit Michee.

I can sadly say I haven''t seen him play but I wondered when this loan came up that if they wanted to get him out on loan and get him some 1st team experience because he was going to be more involved a bit more with the first team. But maybe I''m way off there.

I just know of the name really little else, as many might at the moment, along with the fact that he has been spoken very highly of by some on this forum.

Delving further it seems he''s a big lad, 20 years of age, central defender who can play either full-back and, BIG AND, has got his first full cap for the rep. of Congo under his belt.

How did we get to have a Congolese youngster on the books I wonder?

P.S. Oluwarotimi Mark Odusina is another City youngster I have just discovered whilst researching Efete. What a great name.

I suppose if he makes it we can call him Olly (nb. not Ollie as the great Olwyn Burton had that nickname.)

[quote user="Move Klose"]I can sadly say I haven''t seen him play but I wondered when this loan came up that if they wanted to get him out on loan and get him some 1st team experience because he was going to be more involved a bit more with the first team. But maybe I''m way off there.[/quote]I would think you are fairly near the mark, though it might be to see how near he is, rather than necessarily preparing him.But it is an odd one, as I can''t recall too many playing elsewhere in the summerWith the number of younger players coming through I can understand why the club will be reluctant to take on many (any?) more senior high wage players. It is also borne out by the incoming coaching staff looking to be based around younger players.Which might suggest a few loans to ''tide us over'' until those youngsters are ''up to speed''.Either way it is a positive move forward and time will tell whether it works..well enough. But full marks to the club for taking it on.

Efete seems to have done well out in Iceland. Played 6 out of 8 league games for Breidablak (?!) and scored a goal. Hopefully get to see him in pre-season.

I''ve watched a few U23 games and he looks like a great prospect, the times I saw him play he was playing along side people like Bennett and Turner and from memory Bassong and Efete stood out as the better player.

He''s a big lad and quick and is comfortable with the ball at his feet, I''d expect him to be in and around the first team set up, I guess that was the point of the loan to add fitness, experience and more importantly for the coaches to watch how he copes with competitive football.

I think that had Efete been at a League 2 (or even League 1) club, he''d already have got 20-40 competitive games under his belt despite his age, but the higher up the football pyramid you go, the harder it is to make the breakthrough and get the games at a young age.I have to say that I''m pretty excited about the potential of a number of our young players, and really hope that the new setup and approach will be key in getting the best out of them and giving them the chances they could well deserve.

He''s back! Just wondered on people''s thoughts as to whether he could make the first team and thus save us buying another centre back presuming we''re likely to loan one more.

I watched a number of u23 games last year and he''s big, strong, quick and comfortable on the ball.

He''s clearly gone on loan for them to judge his readiness for first team exposure.

In most of the games he played that I watched you wouldn''t have said he was the up and coming when partnering more seasoned pro''s!

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]In most of the games he played that I watched you wouldn''t have said he was the up and coming when partnering more seasoned pro''s![/quote]With the greatest of respect to Efete, I''d argue that was down to the standard of league and it''s player level being pretty weak, rather than the player being outstanding.Still, it all bodes well for us (and for his development) and it would great if another youngster could make the breakthrough rather than us buying in talent.

You must have misread what I said, I said he''s big, strong, quick and comfortable with the hall at his feet, whether that makes him outstanding is down to him getting a chance.

Time will tell and we''ll see if he gets game time on tour.