Sign in to follow this  
The Big Bad Wolf

What is needed...head versus heart

I''m sure Neil and the squad do take it one game at a time but as fans on a forum we''re allowed to debate which games look more winnable.

As discussed before, the automatics is not happening. We''re 14 points off and a game behind. To make up 14 points in 16 games would be incredible, to make up 17 points (as the gap could well be) would be ridiculous. We''d be having to pick up over a point a game more than Brighton or Newcastle.

Even if we won every single game (we won''t, the longest winning streak this season is 8 games) we''d need Brighton to lose at least 5 games (more than they''ve lost all season). There is no basis in logic or historical precedent for us making this up.

[quote user="Greavsy"]morty wrote the following post at 10/02/2017 12:38 PM:

Greavsy wrote:

That''s my point, you are targeting as high as you can, you might realistically only be able to acheive 6th, but you need to aim higher, if not people take their foot off the gas, once lower targets are attained.

Well thats obvious. It is assumed, whether or not you believe that we will go up in automatic, that we will try to win every game.

So obvious it barely needed saying....

Well you seemed to miss the point, again.

But thanks for your input.[/quote]The overly simplistic one you were making? I doubt that very much.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m sure Neil and the squad do take it one game at a time but as fans on a forum we''re allowed to debate which games look more winnable.

As discussed before, the automatics is not happening. We''re 14 points off and a game behind. To make up 14 points in 16 games would be incredible, to make up 17 points (as the gap could well be) would be ridiculous. We''d be having to pick up over a point a game more than Brighton or Newcastle.

Even if we won every single game (we won''t, the longest winning streak this season is 8 games) we''d need Brighton to lose at least 5 games (more than they''ve lost all season). There is no basis in logic or historical precedent for us making this up.[/quote]Unless of course you belligerently want to prove some kind of point, whilst ignoring all logic[Y]

You have to say our grit and determination has improved even from our good run at the start of the season. Have to remember that 6 weeks ago even the idea of 6th place was becoming a pipe dream.
The question that remains now that''s sorted is can AN out-manage other managers for teams in and around us? We''ve got the squad, hopefully got the confidence now, the hard work is back, so fingers crossed.

[quote user="hogesar"]You have to say our grit and determination has improved even from our good run at the start of the season. Have to remember that 6 weeks ago even the idea of 6th place was becoming a pipe dream.
The question that remains now that''s sorted is can AN out-manage other managers for teams in and around us? We''ve got the squad, hopefully got the confidence now, the hard work is back, so fingers crossed.
[/quote]Its definitely what was missing, and Alex Neil was right to criticise the players for the lack of it.

The last 6 is a good recovery and the start of the consistency needed to gain a play off spot.

But the inconsistent performances across 90 mins let alone match to match means that huge doubts persist, to break into the top 6 we have to be winning games like tomorrow as well as significantly improve in games against the rest of the top 8.

The players have it in them, we can and will support them through it, but they have not yet done enough to deserve our trust that they will deliver the 27+ points needed to threaten a play off spot.

We should be in for a thrilling rollercoaster of 3 months.

You moan when I comment on your posts and then reel you in, and throw abuse and false accusations at me,

I''ve left you be today, and you still start, I can only assume your missing me, and the attention.

Others posters please take note, that it is not be attempting to derail this thread. Please also refer to Mildred''s apology post to other posters yesterday when he accused me of the same actions, he is undertaking today.

Dream on my friend.

"morty

Its definitely what was missing, and Alex Neil was right to criticise the players for the lack of it."

and right to do so publicly too.

[quote user="ZLF"]"morty

Its definitely what was missing, and Alex Neil was right to criticise the players for the lack of it."

and right to do so publicly too.[/quote][Y]

@Morty.

I raised some points, on topic, with due relevence. You and others may or may not agree, that''s fine, but you started this one today, with your I''ll informed outdown, patronising reply.

Do not deflect this one onto me, again.

Is this where you apologise for my behaviour again.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Having lost the LDC/morty battle, it''s good to see greavsy has stepped in.[/quote]I feel he has brought a bigger slice of mental instability to the role too.

I am sure AN and the players are taking each game at a time as they should be. I appreciate some folks on this board also don''t like to look too far ahead. But I thought it was legitimate to consider what sort of points total we might need to ensure we are in the playoffs. It would be great to think we would win all remaining games, but I wouldn''t be betting on it. I just thought it was an interesting time to look at the remaining fixture list. For example, as people have pointed out, we haven''t done well against the sides around or above us. Look at the fixtures for April and we have a tough run. Not to say we can''t will all of them but given our up and down season it''s unlikely. So I was looking at the fixtures and trying to see where are points would likely come from. My rough guesswork came out at about 28 points. All of us will think slightly differrently about our chances. Of course it''s all guesswork and opinions but that''s what I thought these forums are about. IMO we are most likely playing for sixth. If you think about what we need to do it''s possible but tough. No certainty but definitely an exciting few weeks ahead starting with beating Forest (hopefully).

Of course it''s all guesswork and opinions but that''s what I thought these forums are about

Careful BBS, the conformists will be after you, but I totally agree.

[quote user="hogesar"]You have to say our grit and determination has improved even from our good run at the start of the season. Have to remember that 6 weeks ago even the idea of 6th place was becoming a pipe dream.

[/quote]

I was feeling pretty positive, reading this thread, and then I came to this comment.

Well, we''ll see...