Sign in to follow this  
morty

Old pic of Carrow Road.

The only one who seems embarrassingly desperate to make a name for themselves on this forum appears to be you though...

[quote user="Greavsy"]No need to stalk him, his always on here, posting his own self importance.

If replying to posts on a public forum is stalking then guilty as charged.[/quote]You''re not the sharpest, are you?Let me spell it out for you, I am here posting about Norwich City, you are mostly posting about me.Hope that helps.

[quote user="morty"]A slightly charred City stand![URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/carrow-a_zpsm49lyjut.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/carrow-a_zpsm49lyjut.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

I''m enjoying the ''audio commentary''.

@Morty

Yep, great pics, nice to look back and remind ourselves of the journey the club is on and the part it plays in peoples lives, more than just a football club! thanks for sharing.

Are you still not posting to morty, greavsy?

You are doing

A great job

It''s going well

Ever thought about joining the Labour Party?

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="morty"]A slightly charred City stand![URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/carrow-a_zpsm49lyjut.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/carrow-a_zpsm49lyjut.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

I''m enjoying the ''audio commentary''.

[/quote][:D] Sorry!

Great pics Morty and a very interesting thread. Bring back so many memories of my years supporting Norwich City and how the ground has changed and developed over the years. I started out standing on an open River End, graduated to a fenced in Barclay Stand, back to to the new River End (or Reeves Stand as we called it) standing area and finally to my current (faded, jaded) seat in the Geoffrey Watling stand near to the Snakepit.

From a social comment point of view, I agree the Riverside area looks better now than when it was an industrial wasteland, however I remember the plans on show as we walked to the ground from the Rosary PH suggested the new development would look akin to water side dwellings in Amsterdam, not sure that look was actually achieved!!.....

The rud has changed muchly over the years

But it''s still the ''rud

Wouldn''t change it for the world

When Boulton and Paul + all the old railway sheds were pulled down, a whole load of little microbe crap eaters were put over the site to decontaminate it.

They were munching away for quite a long while before construction began.

[quote user="Number 9"]When Boulton and Paul + all the old railway sheds were pulled down, a whole load of little microbe crap eaters were put over the site to decontaminate it.

They were munching away for quite a long while before construction began.[/quote]What did Boulton and Paul actually produce? Way before my time living here.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]My Grandfather told me that during the war they made aeroplanes.

[/quote]Yeah just had a look, they actually have a Wiki page. Started off as general ironmongery. Probably one of the last bastions of engineering there was in Norwich.Ah well, we have Nandos and a cinema instead!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_%26_Paul_Ltd

I do remember them being a large employer in Norwich and the factory on Riverside road was huge, covering virtually from where the Riverside multi storey car park is now, all the way to the leisure centre & swimming pool. The original Riverside Road, ran all along the river, pretty much where the path runs now from the train station to Carrow Bridge. Anyone remember the song from the Barclay - "you''re going in the river"!?

morty wrote the following post at 09/02/2017 1:26 PM:

You''re not the sharpest, are you?

Let me spell it out for you, I am here posting about Norwich City, you are mostly posting about me.

Hope that helps.

Oh yes, of course you are.

morty wrote the following post at 09/02/2017 9:58 AM:

Quick Lakey, theres someone thats disagrees / doesn''t like morty, jump in bed with him.

I''m posting on other threads too, not that you would factor that into your thinking.

Funny how you always miss/avoid the point.

hogesar wrote the following post at 09/02/2017 1:25 PM:

The only one who seems embarrassingly desperate to make a name for themselves on this forum appears to be you though...

Not interested in that at all, but keep hanging onto my coat tails if you like.

[quote user="Woodman"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_%26_Paul_Ltd

I do remember them being a large employer in Norwich and the factory on Riverside road was huge, covering virtually from where the Riverside multi storey car park is now, all the way to the leisure centre & swimming pool. The original Riverside Road, ran all along the river, pretty much where the path runs now from the train station to Carrow Bridge. Anyone remember the song from the Barclay - "you''re going in the river"!?[/quote]The change in the whole geography of the area really is quite amazing, including the re-routing of all the roads.

Sorry for the off topic folks, but he''s clearly not going away, or stopping trying to derail the thread.Greavsy, whatever you think you are trying to do, the chances of it making me change what I do here / post less / leave are roughly nil, so you may as well just stop it.Its a football forum, maybe just try sticking to that?

As an aside to this, when I was born my parents lived on King Street, opposite what was Reads Flour Mill (the house is still there). The whole Riverside area was a bustling inland port, with coasters sailing up to the various businesses - Colmans, Reads Flour Mill, Boulton and Paul and a big timber yard about where the Hotel Nelson is now. As a kid my Dad used to take me to watch the coasters turn in the big basin just up river from the Hotel Nelson, for a little kid it was quite a sight......

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]As an aside to this, when I was born my parents lived on King Street, opposite what was Reads Flour Mill (the house is still there). The whole Riverside area was a bustling inland port, with coasters sailing up to the various businesses - Colmans, Reads Flour Mill, Boulton and Paul and a big timber yard about where the Hotel Nelson is now. As a kid my Dad used to take me to watch the coasters turn in the big basin just up river from the Hotel Nelson, for a little kid it was quite a sight......[/quote]I may try and see if I can hunt down some film footage of the era, that would be pretty interesting.

@ Morty

What gives you the right to be the forum spokesman?

Another question for you to avoid.

And for the record, your chances of stopping me are the same. Oh until my ban comes into force. What was that for again?

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Morty - I have found some pictures on I think it is called joemasonspress, but I am crap at doing links!!.....[/quote]Will have a look!This is an interesting video, not sure if it has much about Riverside though.http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/306

C''mon Greavsy, gone on long enough now, not sure what your beef with Morty is, but why not take it off line, pm him and discuss ? but its getting silly now, and will only detract from the forum.

https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/the-port-of-norwich/

The ship in the main pic is moored outside where the Ferry Boat pub was/is, opposite the leisure centre. Actually, mentioning pubs, there were 3 close by the ground - the Clarence Harbour, the Ferry Boat and The Kingsway. Clarence was always the ''away'' pub as I recall (which was where the new terrace houses have been built on the left coming down the hill at the Barclay end.

[quote user="Woodman"]https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/the-port-of-norwich/

The ship in the main pic is moored outside where the Ferry Boat pub was/is, opposite the leisure centre. Actually, mentioning pubs, there were 3 close by the ground - the Clarence Harbour, the Ferry Boat and The Kingsway. Clarence was always the ''away'' pub as I recall (which was where the new terrace houses have been built on the left coming down the hill at the Barclay end.[/quote]Great find, nice one!https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/the-port-of-norwich/

Boulton and Paul were famous for making windows after their plane making days, sort of interesting fact, they were owned by BET (British Electrical Traction) who owned companies like Thames TV, they had 50% of Wembley Stadium at one time, but more importantly they also owned Anglian Windows (George Williams sold to them in the early 90''s) and it was the growth of plastic windows that contributed to the demise of people like Boulton & Paul.

Not football related, but had an impact on the area.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Boulton and Paul were famous for making windows after their plane making days, sort of interesting fact, they were owned by BET (British Electrical Traction) who owned companies like Thames TV, they had 50% of Wembley Stadium at one time, but more importantly they also owned Anglian Windows (George Williams sold to them in the early 90''s) and it was the growth of plastic windows that contributed to the demise of people like Boulton & Paul.

Not football related, but had an impact on the area.[/quote]To be honest we are very lucky that Riverside turned out how it did, there are plenty of cities that have suffered massive inner city decay, when industries like that have died.